Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
So got my iPad Air this morning. Upgrading from a 3rd gen version.

First conclusion would be why would anyone need a mini as the air is so much lighter, thinner and easy to hold compared to previous iPads.

You've got the great 9.8 screen but in a smaller case!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
So got my iPad Air this morning. Upgrading from a 3rd gen version.

First conclusion would be why would anyone need a mini as the air is so much lighter, thinner and easy to hold compared to previous iPads.

You've got the great 9.8 screen but in a smaller case!

Portability would be the key factor for many. I may be able to fit the Air in one of my jacket pockets, never in cargo shorts. And while the weight is less, it is still more than the Mini and that much more noticeable.

----------

One handed use is still not possible on the Air. The Mini is much more compact.

I can palm it easily. Too early to tell how though on handling for everything that way but I don't think in my 1/2 hour with it so far that it will present big problems for me.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
I agree that you'll never fit an iPad Air into your pocket but I'd say it's made the decision in getting a mini more difficult for those people.

For the extra screen size you're really not compromising on that much.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I agree that you'll never fit an iPad Air into your pocket but I'd say it's made the decision in getting a mini more difficult for those people.

For the extra screen size you're really not compromising on that much.

Well, there's the 100 dollar difference. A lesser quality screen. And a form factor that can't be used holding with one hand. But sure, other than that..

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Well, there's the 100 dollar difference. A lesser quality screen. And a form factor that can't be used holding with one hand. But sure, other than that..

Lesser quality screen? oh please. There are many justifications for forgoing an Air but a lesser quality screen is most definitely not one of them.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Lesser quality screen? oh please. There are many justifications for forgoing an Air but a lesser quality screen is most definitely not one of them.

326ppi vs 264ppi. That's a significant difference.

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
A lesser quality screen.

If you're one of those guys, then yeah, it's lesser quality screen.
staring-too-close-at-the-computer-screen.jpg

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I'm getting the air and also a cellular retina mini. The mini is just easier to travel with. The air is more of an in home device for me.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
I'm getting the air and also a cellular retina mini. The mini is just easier to travel with. The air is more of an in home device for me.

Wow. I'd like your job as you must be getting paid LOADS!!

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Air superfluous for most who use laptop as main device at home. If I used a desktop, then I'd get the Air and the mini. I never use full size ipad at home b/c my laptop is better. If it is going to rest on something anyway, might as well be most powerful, easiest to type device.

Mini perfect for when not at home and one-handed comfort is paramount like when I want to read a book.

And it is cheaper.

I have a feeling the Air return rate will be very high once the Mini Retina is released

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Air superfluous for most who use laptop as main device at home. If I used a desktop, then I'd get the Air and the mini. I never use full size ipad at home b/c my laptop is better. If it is going to rest on something anyway, might as well be most powerful, easiest to type device.

Mini perfect for when not at home and one-handed comfort is paramount like when I want to read a book.

And it is cheaper.

I have a feeling the Air return rate will be very high once the Mini Retina is released

Agreed. Especially once the reviews of the mini hit. Right now we're just seeing people bite on the product that's available vs waiting 3 weeks or so.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Wow. I'd like your job as you must be getting paid LOADS!!

Its not about money, its about use. I don't have a laptop anymore, so I use the iPad heavily. I work for the federal government and my job involves travel. When I'm on the road, I find the mini easier to bring (along with all my work items, luggage, etc). cellular is also important for that reason.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I'm buying a mini to carry around and use at the office and keeping my fullsize iPad 3 for use at home. I honestly like both form factors. The mini will be especially nice in the summer when I commute on a motorcycle. No more backpack if I want to carry my iPad.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm going from an iPad Mini to the Air chiefly because I do quite a bit of remote/screen sharing stuff and my ageing eyes (and fairly large hands) can struggle at times.

This is not to say that I won't buy a Retina Mini later on, of course. :D

The Mini is a lovely device, very portable and it sits in my hand very comfortably, much more so than my 2012 Nexus 7. So I'll probably have a play around with the new Mini when it's out and in store, just to see how it feels.

8pril

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Southern Indiana
I was ready to spring for the Air, but when Best Buy didn't allow online ordering at midnight I went to bed.

This morning I wanted to swing by Best Buy before work, but it didn't happen. Then I remembered the reason why I wasn't using my iPad 3 very much, it was too big and heavy.

I remember holding the iPad Mini at the Apple store when I returned my iPhone 5S leather case. It was cute and small. I love anything cute and small.

I'm not a patient person, but I'm pretty sure I'll wait for the iPad Mini Retina.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Same internal guts as the air for $100 cheaper. And if the iPad Air’s benefit is being lighter than previous 9.7” iPads than the retina mini’s benefit is being lighter than the iPad air. And let’s not forget the better dpi of the retina mini vs. the iPad Air.
The only benefit of the Air vs. the Retina mini is the larger screen if that is your cup of tea. There are no other benefits I can see.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Same internal guts as the air for $100 cheaper. And if the iPad Air’s benefit is being lighter than previous 9.7” iPads than the retina mini’s benefit is being lighter than the iPad air. And let’s not forget the better dpi of the retina mini vs. the iPad Air.
The only benefit of the Air vs. the Retina mini is the larger screen if that is your cup of tea. There are no other benefits I can see.

Thats like saying a nexus 7 is better than the current mini because it has higher dpi. The bigger screen means i dont have to sit on top of the device to see it. Plus the air is easier to type on than the mini in addition to the bigger screen.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
DPI difference will be negligible given you will hold the iPad mini closer to your face.

But you don't. I probably hold the Mini 15" away and it's the same with the full sized ipad. Do you really stretch your arms out with a full size ipad?

Btw..for those who don't think there will be a difference between these two screens then why are we seeing 4k TV's? Why are we seeing people hope for a 4k thunderbolt display from Apple? 1080p TV's are already retina displays as defined by Apple. Yet, reviewers of these 4k TV's (when combined with native 4k content) noticed a significant difference in quality of screen? How is that possible? 4K is the future.

There's room for screen improvement despite the retina marketing buzzword. The retina ipad mini will have superior screen quality vs the ipad air. For many, it won't matter because they want a bigger screen and higher quality doesn't matter for them. Many of these same people chose android years ago as well looking for bigger. Screen quality didn't matter for them.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I got the Air on Friday, and the size and weight reduction is wonderful while keeping the same 9.7" screen.

With that said, I could see my wife and I getting a Mini with Retina display also. The Air great for web browsing and some apps, but still not light or small enough for one handed use for long periods of time (hours of non stop use), especially when laying in bed reading or watching a tv show or movie.

If it were just myself I would have a hard time justifying buying both, but since it is my wife and I, I think the retina Mini will compliment the Air nicely as a second tablet.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I just want to be able to take the ipad mini on my commute home from work, and have my spotify offline playlist on. Also since the Mini is smaller, I can get away with using it at work and it being big enough to watch Netflix/youtube, while private enough to not be too obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.