Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Sprint prepaid subsidiary Boost Mobile announced that it would begin offering the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on Friday, November 8. The company has followed up with a new press release today announcing that it will be offering prices $100 below Apple's standard pricing for unsubsidized models. The launch will mark the first time Boost has officially offered any iPhone model for sale.
iPhone 5s will be available for $549.99 for the 16GB model, $649.99 for the 32GB model and $749.99 for the 64GB model. iPhone 5c will be available for $449.99 for the 16GB model and $549.99 for the 32GB model. In addition, iPhone 4s will be available for $299.99. iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c customers will be able to connect to the Sprint 4G LTE network.
Boost Mobile offers a $55/month contract-free unlimited talk/text/data service plan, although data is throttled once users reach 2.5 GB in a given month. Customers can also reduce their monthly fees by making on-time payments, with Boost reducing the charge by $5 for every six on-time payments made, down to a minimum of $40/month after 18 months.

boost_55_plan.jpg
Boost is not the only prepaid carrier brand to offer discount pricing on unsubsidized iPhone models, as fellow Sprint prepaid brand Virgin Mobile USA is also offering $100 discounts. For customers who do not need unlimited minutes, Virgin Mobile can offer even lower pricing on service than seen with Boost, as Virgin offers plans with as little as 300 monthly talk minutes for $35, or $30 with auto pay.

Article Link: Boost Mobile to Offer iPhone 5s and 5c with $100 Discounts Beginning November 8

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
At those prices I'd be way more likely to consider those two models. I wonder if any other carriers will follow suit.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
These deals sound so tempting, but can't help but feel like the service will be terrible. Anyone here from MA use it?

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Are these iPhone's locked to Boost Mobile? If not, could one could purchase off contract unlocked iPhone's for $100 off and then use them with Verizon's network (hopefully)? No amount of upgrade pricing, handset discount, or even plan cost reduction will get me off my unlimited data on Verizon. I just paid full price for my off contract Verizon iPhone 5S.

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Are these iPhone's locked to Boost Mobile? If not, could one could purchase off contract unlocked iPhone's for $100 off and then use them with Verizon's network (hopefully)? No amount of upgrade pricing, handset discount, or even plan cost reduction will get me off my unlimited data on Verizon. I just paid full price for my off contract Verizon iPhone 5S.

Short answer, NO. They're locked to Boost, and Verizon won't/can't activate them. Once an iPhone is unlocked, it can't be used on CDMA carriers ever again. The big problem for any Sprint-related iPhone is they're their own beast, since Sprint uses a unique flavor of LTE compared to all other carriers in the USA.

----------

Now that there were FINALLY carrier updates for APN settings for Net10 and Straight Talk to support data AND MMS (iOS 7 required), I'll be sticking with Net10. Unlimited talk, text and 2.5GB of LTE data for $45 (with auto-pay) per month is plenty for me, and Net10 offers each additional line for $40 per month, all running on AT&T's network with the BYOP program.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Bad Deal!

That's not a very good deal folks!

You are better off buying the unlocked version from Apple or T-Mo and be your own master!

Net10 offers exactly the same deal (including 2.5 GB before throttling) for $45 with auto-pay (I even get it for $40 on ebay!)

Airvoice offers $40 unlimited talk text 1GB data and $10 free long distance, they even have a $10 a month plan

StraightTalk offers LTE(!!!) for $45

All three use AT&T towers.

Having an unlocked phone gives you the choice to switch carriers as you please, just buy a $1 sim from Ebay and move on.

The $100 discount is not worth it, especially given that the unlocked phone retains it's value the most when you are done with it. Just compare how much Sprint 4s sells vs AT&T 4s

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Well i just ordered a 16 GB silver/white one. The deal is 20 euros upfront and then 34 euros for 24 months. That also includes 300 minutes.

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Good carrier == bad service areas
Bad carrier == good service areas

I want

Good carrier

AND

Good service areas

NOBODY CAN GIVE IT TO ME. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
i wish theyd offer the ipad with a cheap plan lol im gonna be paying 30$ a month for at&t =[

I am going to do the T-Mobile plan that is $0 for 200MB/month for my iPad Air. Works great for me and if I need more data I can also turn on my T-Mobile hot spot and use it for WiFi to the iPad.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
$0 is only if you are an existing customer and they add it to your existing account.

Not true. I was on the phone with T-Mobile customer care and asked them if I was not a current customer would I need to purchase a data plan, they told me no I would not.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I was recently a Boost (Sprint) customer for 2-years. Started with a 2nd Gen Droid and left after my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Boost here in LA is spotty. Put it this way, I would notice-often-when I got solid 4G service. Mostly because it was so rare. Most of the time I'd see 1 bar maybe 2. MOST of the time I was on Sprint's dreadful 3G network. (it's slow)

1. Dropped calls often.
2. Pages failing to load or re-directs/refreshes hanging.

And even when connected in full 4G glory, it's slow.

Verizon has cable-modem upload speeds. This is important as nowadays we're all posting pictures like mad. It's great to get the 6mb upload speeds Verizon offers. Not to mention the great signal everywhere.

So yes, $40 to $55 is a great deal. But you get what you pay for. For me, $60 more a month for a nearly transparent experience going from wifi to data is worth it. Meaning, I have yet to have a dropped call and my data speeds have been amazing.

steve19150

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
I have VirginMobile which is Sprint's other no-contract service. The coverage in Philadelphia has improved markedly in the past 6 months. From very spotty 4G LTE a few months ago to almost completely covering the area with LTE today. Would not hesitate to recommend people give Sprint a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.