Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Forgive me if this question has an easy answer, but I genuinely don't know it. I sometimes give my kids my iPhone or iPad to play with they they immediately crank the volume on videos, YouTube, etc. I lower it and they immediately raise it. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Is there a setting in iOS 7 which allows a parent to freeze the volume of video, music, apps, etc. at whatever its current setting is and disabling the hardware and screen volume control adjustments? Thanks.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
If you go to Settings > General > Restrictions and enable them then scroll to the bottom of the list there is an option for "Volume Changes". You can have "Allow Changes" or "Don't Allow Changes"...i presume ticking the "Don't Allow Changes" before handing it over to the kids will do what you want.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
If you go to Settings > General > Restrictions and enable them then scroll to the bottom of the list there is an option for "Volume Changes". You can have "Allow Changes" or "Don't Allow Changes"...i presume ticking the "Don't Allow Changes" before handing it over to the kids will do what you want.

It seems like this should work, but after clicking the Don't Allow Changes, I can still increase/decrease volumes with the hardware buttons and in apps. Any other thoughts?

BTW, using a 5s with 7.0.3 if that makes a difference.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Apologies it appears this option is to stop the removal of a sound limit not changing the volume itself. Just googled the option and found this :-

The first step in the process is to lower the maximum volume by tapping Settings and then scrolling down and selecting Music. Next, tap Volume Limit and pull down the volume slider to the maximum volume level you've decided on. Then, tap the back arrow until you're back at the main menu.

To lock the volume limit with a password, head back into Settings, but this time tap General, and then select Restrictions. Next, hit Enable restrictions at the top of the page and create a four-digit password. After that, scroll down to where it says Volume Limit. Tap that, change it to "Don't Allow Changes" and then back all the way out to the main menu.

So it looks like parents could decide on the maximum volume a child could have on their iDevice through one setting, the first one here, then use the restrictions thing i mentioned to stop that limit being turned off or changed. Whether you could use this to work around what you need i'm not sure.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Apologies it appears this option is to stop the removal of a sound limit not changing the volume itself. Just googled the option and found this :-

So it looks like parents could decide on the maximum volume a child could have on their iDevice through one setting, the first one here, then use the restrictions thing i mentioned to stop that limit being turned off or changed. Whether you could use this to work around what you need i'm not sure.

Thanks for your continued efforts (I was excited about the possibility of this working!) but the googled suggestion doesn't limit volume in Music, Instacast, Safari, etc. It remains adjustable by way of both hardware and software.

Anyone else with experience/suggestions with this? I can't imagine that there is no way to set maximum volume on apps as a parental control of some sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.