Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Godfather4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I didn't want to start this...i love this thing...But when compared to my 5S...the screen at maximum brightness seems darker and the white, which has happened in the past, seems more yellow....Appreciate any feedback

----------

Anybody can give input i would appreciate it

Last edited:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Comparing my iPad Air to my iPad 4, the whites are a bit more yellow.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
The color temperature varies quite a bit between versions and even individual units. I just compared our 3 iPads: 1st gen is blue/cold/less bright, 3rd gen is pink/warm/bright, and the Air is the sweet spot between the two... looks white/bright.

Godfather4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
thanks

thanks guys...i get this every time a new one comes out and i get paranoid that mine is the yellow one...i like it all all but when its at full brightness its not as bright as i would like the way my 5S is...perhaps different manufacturers of screens

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
My screen is not uniform from left to right.

Previous tribal knowledge seems to indicate that it might correct itself within the first few days due to glue or something. Sounds like BS to me, but I'll swap it if it doesn't seem to improve.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Mine is kind of darkish/dirty on the left, pink on the right. (bad) Luck of the draw.

OP, you can't compare screens from different devices. You can't even compare screens from different examples of the same device.

Unfortunately, there are too many variables.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
My iPad Air screen looks perfectly white, and my iPhone 5 screen looks a teeny tiny bit yellow in comparison.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
You might see a difference in the yellowish display after a few days. The glue they use usually isn't completely dry on the launch day units.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Damn these glue people. No idea how this silly farse has permeated so many minds.

Its not glue, its NEVER BEEN GLUE. It will not change or go away.

This happens with every launch. I got a yellow 5S on launch day and took it back. Finally just got another this week, perfect screen.

I got an Air today and guess what: not uniform. Yellow on lower left. I'm marching that crap right back into the store.

I am so sick of Apple pulling this crap. Demand excellence!

----------

Mine is kind of darkish/dirty on the left, pink on the right. (bad) Luck of the draw.

OP, you can't compare screens from different devices. You can't even compare screens from different examples of the same device.

Exchange it. Please. And have them note the reason.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Mine is perfectly white with a slight tint of blue which I like. I think I like it better then my ipad 4 screen.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
My screen is not uniform from left to right.

Previous tribal knowledge seems to indicate that it might correct itself within the first few days due to glue or something. Sounds like BS to me, but I'll swap it if it doesn't seem to improve.

My screen is slightly darker from left to right. Mainly on the left edge. It is slight though.

Would they allow me to exchange it for such an issue? I guarantee the worker won't notice it.

Kaizen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006

That's the same as mine: brown/yellow on the left and pink on the right. It's especially noticeable when the keyboard is up. This one's going back and I'm going to hold out for the mini.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Damn these glue people. No idea how this silly farse has permeated so many minds.

Its not glue, its NEVER BEEN GLUE. It will not change or go away.

This happens with every launch. I got a yellow 5S on launch day and took it back. Finally just got another this week, perfect screen.

I got an Air today and guess what: not uniform. Yellow on lower left. I'm marching that crap right back into the store.

I am so sick of Apple pulling this crap. Demand excellence!

----------

Exchange it. Please. And have them note the reason.

Exactly. I went through a bunch of iPad 3s with uneven screens and various weird pink, green, and blue tint problems before finally getting an acceptable one. My launch day iPad 3 was a complete disaster. Darker on one side, and yellowish on the other. When the iPad 4 came out, I waited a few weeks and went to check it out at the apple store. All but one of their display models had glaring screen flaws. My father in law got one, and it is noticeably darker on the left side (it is almost always on the left side). I was hoping that they'd finally fix it with this new one. Guess that the jury is still out on that.

I am not sure where the glue thing comes from. I remember seeing a tear down of the iPad 3 somewhere, and they made a point of stating that there was no glue. The iPad 3 that I kept the longest before settling on my current on was mine for a month. I used it a LOT, and the screen flaws never worked themselves out.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I can't wait for the day people being to accept that panel qualities vary from one to another.

Go buy two $1000 NEC displays. Compare them using professional tools. They'll both have slightly different figures. Then remember the display in an iPad is produced to much lower quality tolerances at about 1/5th the cost of a professional display, and there you have your answer to why not every single iOS retina display looks the same.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My iPad 3 purchased on launch day was perfect with a bluish white screen. I purchased 3 iPad 4s with yellow tints on various parts of the screen before getting a good 4th one which was a warmer white. My Air is not as bright white compared to my iPad 4 or my iPhone 5, but there are no tints anywhere on the screen and I don't plan to return it. I think once I use it without comparing it to the other screens it will look fine. I would return any screen with uneven coloring however as in my experience it did not get better with time and it is much easier to return something with no questions asked in the 14 day window.

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I also am seeing this gradual darker/yellow on the left, getting lighter/bluer on the right. Debating whether or not it's annoying enough for me to go to the apple store tomorrow and hunt for a better screen.

Besides the screen issue I am loving the Air coming from a 3rd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.