Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Cupertino, CA
I am looking at Amazon and after all rebates, here are the prices of the models I am most interested in:

1)Apple iBook Notebook 14.1" - $1174.99 + Free Canon printer + Free Mighty Mouse

2) Apple PowerBook Notebook 12.1" -$1199.99 + Free Canon printer + $50 off iPod Shuffle (not going to take iPod shuffle offer)

The thing I like about the iBook is the bigger screen, longer battery life, and better airport recepetion. As to the Powerbook; faster processor, bigger & faster hard drive, better graphics card.

At first, I thought I made the decision, but since it is a $20 difference I can't decide. So..those who have the powerbook, what do you have to say? What about those with the iBoook? What scares me out of the powerbook is that it heats up so much within the first minutes that I can't use the keyboard or put it on my lap..is it as bad as they say? How bad of an airport reception do these get? I saw that they have two antennas..does the ibook have it too?

[Edit] What about sweat marks that take off the color of the powerbook?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd go with the PowerBook if it's only a $20 difference. They both have the same screen resolution of 1024 x 768 but the PowerBook's smaler screen will be sharper and you're get screen spanning without any hacks. The Powerbook is also lighter.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
Id go with the Powerbook if you are looking for more portability. However if you like the larger screen the iBook would be the better choice.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
NYmacAttack said:
Id go with the Powerbook if you are looking for more portability. However if you like the larger screen the iBook would be the better choice.
I don't see the benefit of the larger screen. Both the 14" iBook and 12" PowerBook display at 1024 x 768.

Chasealicious

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
I've owned a 12" PowerBook for over a year, and I don't see what the whole deal is about wimpy people complaining that they get too hot. If you are a snowman, yes, this might be a problem. However, if you are a human, you probably won't ever be bothered.

As far as Airport reception is concerned, you're talking about a difference between 100% versus 95%. Negligible.

IMHO, the 14" iBook is the least delicious of Apple's offerings. The screen resolution is identical, so the "bigger" screen does nothing but make it more cumbersome to carry around.

While the iBooks are great machines, they feel cheap in your hand compared to a PowerBook. The processor, hard drive, and graphics chip will prolong the life of your notebook.

-side note- PowerBooks get great battery life too if you optimize your settings.

brendel95

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
Powerbook is much better machine in terms of build quality. But now the 12inch PB only can gave 1.25GB RAM.(ibook can have 1.5GB)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
opik said:
What about the issues? Heat, sweat marks, lower airport reception?
I have both the 12" 1.33GHz PB and the 12"1.33GHz iBook. I'd pick the iBook over the PB for a portable (that is NOT meant to be my primary machine).

My PB always got much hotter, so uncomfortably hot that I'd have to leave it alone for a bit to let it cool off before using it again; my iBook has yet to get uncomfortably hot. (Note, some people w/ 15" PBs have gotten burns from using their PBs.)

My PB would struggle (in the exact same location) to get 1 or 2 bars of wi-fi reception while my iBook would get full reception (4 bars).

Of course, I am talking about the 12" iBook. Any specific reason why you're only considering the 14" iBook vs 12" PB and not the 12" iBook? All three have identical resolution...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
devilot said:
Of course, I am talking about the 12" iBook. Any specific reason why you're only considering the 14" iBook vs 12" PB and not the 12" iBook? All three have identical resolution...
They both have DVD burners. That's my minimum requirement for a computer. Unless it's a secondary one.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Eidorian said:
They both have DVD burners. That's my minimum requirement for a computer. Unless it's a secondary one.
Yes I realize that... but I wasn't sure if the OP him/herself requires that.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
How portable do you want it to be? The 12" size of the powerbook / ibook is really quite nice for storing in your bag.

opik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Cupertino, CA
Well as to portability; for me, the 14" iBook is still considered portable enough. Has the heat issues not being resolved with the latest updates (both software & hardware)?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
opik said:
Yes, that is the reason. I would like to have a built in DVD Burner.
Well, in that case... because I love love love the smaller 12" form factors, then I'd go for the PB.

Good luck, either way, I'm sure you'll love your new Apple portable! :D

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
Great Idea!

We should just make a forum titled 'iBook vs PowerBook Debates' and ban threads on that topic elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.