Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
This has only happened since upgrading to iOS7, as far as I can recall. But once my battery has drained to 20% or less, the phone will shut itself down even though it's nowhere close to even 10% left.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any solutions? I could try to get Apple to look at it, I guess... But it's not something that's easily replicated.

Clint

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Your battery's health might have gone down sooner than expected. If your charging habits were not right, then the battery might have suffered earlier than expected wear and tear.

When iPhones shut down like that it is usually a battery showing initial wear and tear signs.

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
This is happening to myself and one of my friends. My friend, however, has an iPhone 4S. His usually hits around 30% and mine varies per day.

For example, today mine died at 20%, but I was able to turn it back on and it lasted to 12% then it wouldn't turn on again until I plugged it back it. Upon plugging it in to charge, it showed 30% as soon as I powered it back.

I wish I could this much inconsistency up, and I too started only experiencing this with iOS 7.

GTAmissions1

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
do the online diagnostics to see if the phone has a power issue.

https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action
I am going to try that.

I keep noticing that sometimes, my iPhone 5 will just shut down with 10 percent battery life and sometimes, the iPhone 5 will shut off after 0 to 2 percent of battery life is available.

Just hard to replicate and predict. Sometimes, it could be how much charging it has gone through because I ran out of battery life, so I charged it again up to full battery yesterday and still have some battery life until it shuts down around 10 percent.

Could also possibly be exposure to the cold since I was outside using it.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
I am going to try that.

I keep noticing that sometimes, my iPhone 5 will just shut down with 10 percent battery life and sometimes, the iPhone 5 will shut off after 0 to 2 percent of battery life is available.

Just hard to replicate and predict. Sometimes, it could be how much charging it has gone through because I ran out of battery life, so I charged it again up to full battery yesterday and still have some battery life until it shuts down around 10 percent.

Could also possibly be exposure to the cold since I was outside using it.

If the diagnostic shows no power issues. Drain the battery completely and leave the phone dead for a couple of hours. Then do a full battery charge.

Also make sure you are using a OEM cable and charger. Since I had the battery replaced on my Iphone 5 I have steered away from any non oem chargers. As i'm thinking this is why my phone started having issues with the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.