Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuncer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi all,

What's the general consensus on internal vs external power supply for a 780 GTX in a Mac Por 5.1 (Mid-2010). Got the card and noticed that the video card needed an 8 pin connection. So for now I plugged in the two 6 pin connectors and it all seems to work fine (for now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm going from a 680 GTX to 780 GTX.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The 780 should detect that you have only put a 6-pin in the 8-pin socket and limit its power draw. If you had put a 6-to-8 converter in there, it would attempt to draw its full power if needed for the task at hand.

If you avoid running benchmarks or stressing the card to 100% you should be OK even for long-term use because the card will not need much more power than the MP can provide.

tuncer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
So far been running it without any issues. Battlefield 4. I'll see how it goes though a tad nervous ;)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My MVC modified Gigabyte GTX780 has been running great for over a month now. I have no issues, nor do I expect to have any. Awesome fast card.

Lou

tuncer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Just a follow up. I started experiencing crashes and weird artifacts with Battlefield 4 and I suspected it was the power supply. I bought an external power supply to hook up the 8 pin wire and everything is working peachy now.

nurali

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Just a follow up. I started experiencing crashes and weird artifacts with Battlefield 4 and I suspected it was the power supply. I bought an external power supply to hook up the 8 pin wire and everything is working peachy now.

Tuncer,
which external power supply did you buy mate? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.