Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Ive seen solid green availability for the 5s for over a week throughout the so cal area and still my local apple store insists I buy the phone online for in store pickup. I showed the annoying sales rep person the fact that the phone is available in the store in the back room. But he refused to sell me the phone directly.

I can't buy the phone online because I need to pay full price in order to keep my data plan unscathed.

So I have to wait until apple allows us to simply buy the phone at the store.

Any ideas on when this could be based on past precedent ? Is there usually an announcement about this ?

Bowsa2511

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Ive seen solid green availability for the 5s for over a week throughout the so cal area and still my local apple store insists I buy the phone online for in store pickup. I showed the annoying sales rep person the fact that the phone is available in the store in the back room. But he refused to sell me the phone directly.

I can't buy the phone online because I need to pay full price in order to keep my data plan unscathed.

Any ideas on when this could be based on past precedent ? Is there usually an announcement about this ?

You technically can buy in the store, but you only when they open at around 8 AM.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

Your in the exact situation as me. I was thiking of using the upgrade then when I get to the store, to cancel that and pay full price.

My Apple store opens at earliest 10AM. They said they will only sell you a iPhone at walk in if you line up 2 hours before the store opens. Doing this for the gold is nearly impossible because scalpers get there at 2AM.

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
What! This is really happening?

I want to pay full price too (to keep my Verizon unlimited data), but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

I'm glad you posted this because now I won't even bother.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
The same thing happened to me here in Portland at Pioneer Place. The website was showing green, yet they told me to go online to purchase the phone that was already in the back room. Pretty weak.

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
I am following up on this thread. Wanted to let you all know that, at least at the Manhattan Beach CA store, I was able to walk in and buy a 5s. I didn't buy/reserve it online ahead of time, I just walked in and bought (64GB Verizon, space gray). I paid full price to keep my unlimited data, and I don't know if that helped me walk in and out with it in less than 30 minutes. Hopefully more stores will let people walk in and buy soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.