Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile CEO John Legere tweeted today to clarify his company's free 200MB monthly plans for iPads on its network. He reiterated that "everyone" gets 200MB of free data with no strings attached.

Earlier today, customers trying to buy iPads on T-Mobile were told they would have to pay a $10 monthly fee to access the "free" data, contradicting an offer from last week.

tmoipadair.png
The $10 per mo./fee written about today is incorrect. We had an executional mistake that we will make right. - @JohnLegere

Yes. Everyone gets the 200MB of free data. No exceptions. No strings attached. - @JohnLegere
Apple continues to have strong stocks of the iPad Air on its Online Store. Only the Space Gray iPad Air with 128GB of storage on T-Mobile is not in stock, showing an available-to-ship time of 5-10 business days.

T-Mobile is offering the 16GB Cellular iPad Air for $0 down and 24 monthly payments of $26.25 per month, with an additional $100 and $200 down payments for the 32GB and 64GB models respectively.

Article Link: CEO Confirms All iPads on T-Mobile Receive 200MB Free Data Each Month

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I'm glad that's cleared up, it seems like a fantastic initiative to introduce consumers to T-Mobile's network.

justinnum1

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Went to tmobile today and was told to get the $26 deal you needed a cellular data plan for 2 years. Anyone have any info on this?

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
200MB?

WhoopieDoo.

How about buying BACK T-Mobile UK and relinquishing that savage deal with that perpetually awful company EE.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
But any cellular iPad will work with any carrier, right?

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well.

Functionally, the cellular iPad Air models are all the same, the only difference in SKUs is storage and which SIM card comes in the package? Switching carriers is just a matter of swapping SIM cards?

Last edited:

syrcular

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
10 discount for cell customers

I added a 2.5 GB plan which is normally 30 dollars and was told since I'm a tmobile customer already with my cell, I get a 10 dollar discount making my data plan 20 dollars. Can anyone confirm this as well?

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Went to tmobile today and was told to get the $26 deal you needed a cellular data plan for 2 years. Anyone have any info on this?

I'm sure there is no commission on the "free 200MB" plan. SOME reps are not too inclined to spend their time helping people set them up for the plan. Try another rep or store. Sorry, store reps aren't going to have the same view as the Exes for long term customer satisfaction goals.

Also the info or "training" for the deal just came out last Friday (10/25), so they maybe not well informed if they are behind in their training.

aconnell11

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2013
Oshkosh, WI

Its not the cell plan thats 2 years, its the cost of the device spread over 2 years. You can pay the installment plan off early, but if you stop service before 2 years the remainder of the balance of the device is due

red321red321

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
"Earlier today, customers trying to buy iPads on T-Mobile were told they would have to pay a $10 monthly fee to access the "free" data, contradicting an offer from last week."

Oh ok, so it's free, but not free. I get it.

justinnum1

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Its not the cell plan thats 2 years, its the cost of the device spread over 2 years. You can pay the installment plan off early, but if you stop service before 2 years the remainder of the balance of the device is due

thats what i dont get, what service? i would never use the LTE..i just like the idea of interest free payments. If i can get this thing for just $26 a month i will do it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm glad that's cleared up, it seems like a fantastic initiative to introduce consumers to T-Mobile's network.

They've got me. I'll be doing the iPad mini through tmobile. Especially to a longtime ATT customer, this is a great deal!

I'm not sure how good it will be since T-Mobile shuts off the data for the month on the 200MB free plan once you hit 200MB usage in a month. With LTE, that will be pretty quick :D.

If you upgrade to the $10 / month 200MB plan, they only throttle you after hitting the 200MB cap.

----------

"Earlier today, customers trying to buy iPads on T-Mobile were told they would have to pay a $10 monthly fee to access the "free" data, contradicting an offer from last week."

They finally clarified it. The 200MB free plan is free for everyone.

aconnell11

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2013
Oshkosh, WI
thats what i dont get, what service? i would never use the LTE..i just like the idea of interest free payments. If i can get this thing for just $26 a month i will do it.

You're also paying a ~130 premium for the LTE model, so if its something you'll never use im not sure if it would be worth it even with 0%

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota

Didn't read the title or the very short article I see.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
web site still requires the 10/mo.

Anyone able to remove it? I would do this in a heartbeat without that stipulation, and don't want to rely on a tweet.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I could only get the $30 2.5 GB plan plus $26 a month for the Air, in the store but just called the customer support line and got it changed to $0 200mb plus $26 a month.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm not sure how good it will be since T-Mobile shuts off the data for the month on the 200MB free plan once you hit 200MB usage in a month. With LTE, that will be pretty quick :D.

For people who only check email and send iMessage texts it'll be useful, esp. for those who normally have WiFi access at home or work. But you are right, it won't take many cat videos on youtube before you'd burn through the allotment.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida

I think you get this option so that
1. its a zero-interest loan for an iPad
2. You can buy a block of LTE any time, convenient for travel.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I added a 2.5 GB plan which is normally 30 dollars and was told since I'm a tmobile customer already with my cell, I get a 10 dollar discount making my data plan 20 dollars. Can anyone confirm this as well?

I was just on the phone with T-Mobile customer care. I wanted the 24-month interest free loan on the iPad would I have to buy a data plan to get it? The rep told me no. He knew I was a current T-Mobile customer so I aksed hi specifically if I were not a current customer would I be required to purchase a data plan? He told me to wait as he was going to check on another source of information. After a few minutes he came back on line and told me, no I would not need to purchase a data plan. So the rep you talked with was incorrect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.