Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikeyswen79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
So I just got an ATV 3 to take advantage of the mirroring feature for my MBP and iOS devices. But I have found mirroring to be very laggy, especially when it comes to the MBP.

What are the possible reasons for this? All my devices (including the ATV) are not he same wifi network but I'm assuming / hoping mirroring operates with bluetooth technology?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you are not on the same network, I don't think it would even work at all, 'coz looks like to me the devices discover themselves via broadcasts which restrict themselves within their own network.

Suggestion #1: is always try everything WIRED to discount WIFI problems.

Mikeyswen79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Is it possible to have the ATV plugged in via ethernet but have the computer mirror via wifi? I don't have an ethernet input.

I'll check out my wireless settings.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Is it possible to have the ATV plugged in via ethernet but have the computer mirror via wifi? I don't have an ethernet input.

I'll check out my wireless settings.

I have my AppleTV on wired Ethernet, my router is an AirPort Extreme. Works great.

It's most likely your router, what kind is it?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Absolutely.

Everything WIFI to the Access Point, he's the wireless traffic cop, then the AP routes the traffic to whoever the data is destined to, and if the ATV is hard wired to the AP then that's fine.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

yes, but your image quality will be limited by the quality of that wifi link.

but by making the aTV wired, you improve the wireless link to your laptop by removing some of the bandwidth off of the wireless.

Mikeyswen79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Ok so the ATV is wired and it improved dramatically. There is definitely still a slight delay on the ATV, but it is way, way better. Is one to expect a slight delay (say, when one moves the cursor and there is something like a half second response delay)?

Otherwise, at this point what can I do to improve my wifi settings? Sorry Apple's guides are not being very helpful at the moment. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

----------

I have my AppleTV on wired Ethernet, my router is an AirPort Extreme. Works great.

It's most likely your router, what kind is it?

My router is a Motorola SBG6580, which is also my modem.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Ok so the ATV is wired and it improved dramatically. There is definitely still a slight delay on the ATV, but it is way, way better. Is one to expect a slight delay (say, when one moves the cursor and there is something like a half second response delay)?

Otherwise, at this point what can I do to improve my wifi settings? Sorry Apple's guides are not being very helpful at the moment. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

----------

Is the router the one the internet provider gave you? If that's the case, while decent for browsing the web, it definitely isn't suited for streaming the amount of data an Apple TV will use. I recommend investing in a decent router. I currently can mirror with minimal lag (the lowest possible for wireless) after upgrading my router.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Definitely try to optimize your WIFI.

Be sure is running 802.11n.

If router is capable of running multiple channels select 40 mhz bandwidth or auto 20/40.

Be sure to select a main channel that's AWAY from your neighbors. Sometimes there is a channel auto select but don't rely on it. The non-overlapping (ideal) channels are 1-6-11. In other words, if your neighbors are using 1 and 11 then you should choose 6. Read up how this channel thing works, or call you geeky cousin to help.

If router has 5 ghz, play with that. Pro: tend to have less interference from neighbors but Con: don't go through walls well.

Are there other people in the house who uses WIFI simultaneously while you are mirroring? This calls for a router with QOS capability, so your Mirroring stream will have priority over someone who'e just browsing or downloading a big file.

Good luck.

Mikeyswen79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
The SBG was purchased by me. I think my ISP does provide it themselves as well, but I bought it because it is just the best modem for my ISP.

It has all the features

Definitely try to optimize your WIFI.

Be sure is running 802.11n.

If router is capable of running multiple channels select 40 mhz bandwidth or auto 20/40.

Be sure to select a main channel that's AWAY from your neighbors. Sometimes there is a channel auto select but don't rely on it. The non-overlapping (ideal) channels are 1-6-11. In other words, if your neighbors are using 1 and 11 then you should choose 6. Read up how this channel thing works, or call you geeky cousin to help.

If router has 5 ghz, play with that. Pro: tend to have less interference from neighbors but Con: don't go through walls well.

Are there other people in the house who uses WIFI simultaneously while you are mirroring? This calls for a router with QOS capability, so your Mirroring stream will have priority over someone who'e just browsing or downloading a big file.

Good luck.

I did all this and couldn't quite close the gap on the lag. As for the channels, I didnt have the ability to specify any channel but it gave me the options 36, 44, 149, 157. For whatever reason videos play just fine at a beautiful frame rate, it is just the cursor and key input delay of .2 seconds or so. Even have QOS and had that squared away. Thanks for the help, though, it definitely improved things even if ever so slightly.

I have a feeling if I go the AirPort / Time Capsule route I'll suddenly be able to close the time gap on this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 11.44.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 11.44.20 PM.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 152

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am not sure Mirroring is the wireless replacement for the real deal of an HDMI cable hookup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.