Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
It's due a update, aside from the MacBook Pro 13" it's the only one that hasn't been updated.

Maybe apple is dropping it, who knows. I hope Haswell is soon but I can wait.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
they didn't upgrade the cMBP to Haswell, but the cMBP is still available.
the mini often has long times between updates. No one outside Apple knows if the mini will be updated to Haswell or not.

halogenx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
New Mac Mini

Black Friday, that's a good day to unveil the new version of the Mac Mini. I'll be ready for it then. Of course this is pure speculation, I'm just hoping.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Maybe, APPLE is going to redesign the outer case of Mac Mini...in this case new Mac Mini will be available in next spring... (possibly, to host Iris Pro, TB2 & USB3.1 ???)

Let's wait and see...

PS: I want to see a new Mac Mini this month but....time runs against my willing! :rolleyes:

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Maybe, APPLE is going to redesign the outer case of Mac Mini...in this case new Mac Mini will be available in next spring... (possibly, to host Iris Pro, TB2 & USB3.1 ???)

Let's wait and see...

PS: I want to see a new Mac Mini this month but....time runs against my willing! :rolleyes:

I hope not...the current design is still sexy as hell!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I suspect it'll be a silent update coinciding with the availability of the Mac Pro in December.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I speculated a few months back that it would be nine weeks after the release of Mavericks... which makes it the day before Christmas now. So clearly my gambling/betting skills are down at the moment :eek:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
There is no known date for when the Mini will be released.

It'll be released on November 27th.

Seriously: no rumors, no signs of update, no solid idea of when it will happen, and it takes more than a year between updates on average. There are new processors, but that does't ensure an upgrade.

The mini is not a prestige model Mac, it isn't a technical bauble, it isn't something the press clamors over, it isn't something note-worthy or innovative. So it won't have fanfare and excitement when it is updated, unless Apple redesigns the Mini in a fantastic way, like the MacPro.

Elho

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Belgium
I wonder, would people also wait this impatiently for exemple a new Dell release?

It's funny how Apple always sells it's new products as insanely good and 10x faster as the previous models and all you want, is once again, to buy the new one. Not because you really need it, just because it's the latest available...

And 300-400 days later, it starts all over again!! Lol

The waiting game :)

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Prolly people want the IRIS graphics...which is a big step forward from hd4000, or even dedicated gpu.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Prolly people want the IRIS graphics...which is a big step forward from hd4000, or even dedicated gpu.

yeah mini has always been lite weight graphics.

So iris 5000 vs 6630 dedicated looks like an upgrade to most of us.

I would like this cpu

http://ark.intel.com/products/75992/Intel-Core-i7-4558U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

I do think this with a forced downclock of the turbo (3.0 not 3.2) would be better for some

http://ark.intel.com/products/76087/Intel-Core-i7-4750HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Who knows? Who cares?

Who knows?

No one really, it seems.

Who cares?

A few around here, going by the number of threads on a somewhat similar theme. I fail to fathom why.

Big revolutionary releases are few and far between. The Mini itself was one, and I guess so too was the shift to Intel chips. That did make my first Mini obsolete quite quickly. Beyond that the changes have been evolutionary, with probably only a slight difference in day to day use between generations. Skip a generation or two and the difference will be more noticeable, but still Minis from early 2009 are still current in terms of OS.

If, for whatever reason I needed a new computer now, I would toddle off to the local apple dealer and buy a current Mini, without fear of it being left behind in the tech race. As it happens, I don't need a new computer, and reckon my early 2009 has a bit of life left in it yet.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I sold my 2009 24" iMac to fund a new Mac Mini. Even a slight internal change would be good enough for me. My base 2011 Mini does everything I need it to do perfectly fine. I don't play games so there's no need for faster graphics, at least for me. I basically use mine as a HTPC, surf the web, and read and write emails. For that purpose, it's a superb little computer. I hope Apple doesn't mess it up by soldering in the RAM. That would totally blow it for me.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
In agreement with the post directly above.

No new Mini until at least January 2014.
Probably February...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Do you think apple realizes people are ordering the lowest ram and then upgrading themselves so apple is losing money? So they will change the next model?

If that happens will we be able to order the 2012 or will it go off the website the minute the new one is announced?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Do you think apple realizes people are ordering the lowest ram and then upgrading themselves so apple is losing money? So they will change the next model?

If that happens will we be able to order the 2012 or will it go off the website the minute the new one is announced?

you can order from the refurb store.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

there is a short window when the 2012's will all drop lower then the price above and then vanish over time.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals

Apple can kiss my butt if they think I'm going to spend an extra $200 to upgrade from 4 to 8 gb's of ram. When the new one is released and I can't install my own ram, I will either buy a 2012 model, or nothing from Apple anymore. I'll build a new PC instead.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
January is the absolute earliest a new mini would show up. There is no way apple would allow a single Mac Pro sale in December to be lost to a Mini.

If a machine priced in the $600 - $800 range competes in any way with one priced starting at $3000 then Apple has a much bigger problem on it's hands than deciding when to release a revised mini.

IMHO, who can get by with a mini (current or upcoming) has no need for and little desire for a new Mac Pro.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I just decided to bite the bullet and buy a 2012 i5 model for $ 549.00 new from Micro Center and spent $ 140.00 on 16gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM for it. I didn't feel the haswell update was worth the wait and the $50.00 I saved on the 2012 went towards the RAM. Oh yes this is a vey nice upgrade from my 2010 which is now my back up mini.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I just decided to bite the bullet and buy a 2012 i5 model for $ 549.00 new from Micro Center and spent the $ 140.00 on 16g a. of RAM for it. I didn't feel the has well update was with the wait and the $50.00 I saved on the 2012 ant towards the RAM. And oh yes a vey nice upgrade from my 2010 which is now my back up mini.

very practical! good choice!

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
In agreement with the post directly above.

No new Mini until at least January 2014.
Probably February...

Probably Mar.-May 2014....

If this happens, a new redesigned Mac Mini will be announced...(not only updated).

If a new Mac Mini is announced in mid 2014, I will expect to find dGPU, TB2 and USB3.1 (!!!)

Do you agree?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.