Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I went to the apple store and they tightened the bottom plate and the hinge, the hinge feels much better now, but later when i got home i noticed there was a teeny little ding on the lid... most likely caused while tighting the hinge... and a light scratch about an inch long on the bottom, really disappointed, as i keep all of my products in mint condition, no scratches, and scratches really bring down the resale value later. Is there any point in calling applecare and asking them for perhaps a top lid replacement?

The ding isn't all that tiny, it seems as if it was poked quite forcefully with a screwdriver, if you swept your hand over it you can feel it

Last edited:

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I'd get back and ask what happened, show them the damage. It would have been more powerful to spot this right when picking up, though. Now it turns into a discussion. But in my opinion, you have a point to at least state your opinion.

Alternatively, get a nice case. It will perhaps obscure the damage, and prevent future possible damage.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I'd get back and ask what happened, show them the damage. It would have been more powerful to spot this right when picking up, though. Now it turns into a discussion. But in my opinion, you have a point to at least state your opinion.

Alternatively, get a nice case. It will perhaps obscure the damage, and prevent future possible damage.

Im gonna get a friend to call applecare today(I'm in germany and my german is terrible) and probably gonna send it in(if they agree to replace the lid) i mean the damage would have been avoided if they were a bit more careful, in the whole time i've had it(almost 2 months) i take it to work everyday, and not a single scratch, 15 mins with the genius and bam

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Im gonna get a friend to call applecare today(I'm in germany and my german is terrible) and probably gonna send it in(if they agree to replace the lid) i mean the damage would have been avoided if they were a bit more careful, in the whole time i've had it(almost 2 months) i take it to work everyday, and not a single scratch, 15 mins with the genius and bam

You could also give Apple customer relations a call. They are really great and will help you see your issue through to resolution. They will often even monitor the status of your repair and make sure that you are satisfied.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
You could also give Apple customer relations a call. They are really great and will help you see your issue through to resolution. They will often even monitor the status of your repair and make sure that you are satisfied.

What's the phone # for customer relations?

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013

I called applecare, and the guy spoke english quite well, and he had a few calls about people getting their equipment scratched, and that i should call the store i was at, and ask them to replace the lid/bottom cover, i called the store in frankfurt in the morning, but there were several callers ahead of me, so I'm gonna call after work. he also said they might be able to arrange for pickup, because I'm locate 2 hours from the store.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Good luck. I hate it when I'm really careful with my stuff and other people just don't. It's not like a car where you can work at a dent or scratch.

tobeornottobe

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I tend to just ignore tiny stuff like this because I don't want to bring more hassle for myself. I might just think the scratch isn't as bad as what I thought any ways.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I tend to just ignore tiny stuff like this because I don't want to bring more hassle for myself. I might just think the scratch isn't as bad as what I thought any ways.

its not really a scratch, its a chip, like if someone threw a rock at your car door or something.

I called the store, and they said i need to make a new appointment as soon as possible, because the longer i take to come, the higher the possibility that i scratched it myself... and even then they can't guarantee a repair until they take a look at it.(i tried to schedule an appointment, but everything is full until next wednsday) I'm worried that once i get they'll just say sorry can't help you, and thats a whole day wasted...

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I had to take my machine in for unfortunately many repairs. during that time I noticed on the paperwork the guy was filling out it had a visual inspection field. He put down no signs of impact or damage. My laptop had no dings dents or scratches. so my point is they will know if the ding was there before or not. if he filled out the paperwork correctly when you brought it in it should be in your favor. showing it had no dents when you brought it in and now it does.

The thing that will hurt you the most is how long you wait to resolve it. every day that passes is a day they can say you did it.

almonde

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
It sucks that they didn't take good care of your stuff, lets face it, although Macbooks are not cheap, but they're not Ming dynasty pieces either. In grand scheme of things they are tools and like most technology have a fairly short life span.

Is it really worth 4 hour+ round trip to drop it off?

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
It sucks that they didn't take good care of your stuff, lets face it, although Macbooks are not cheap, but they're not Ming dynasty pieces either. In grand scheme of things they are tools and like most technology have a fairly short life span.

Is it really worth 4 hour+ round trip to drop it off?

if they replace the lid, then yes it most definitely is worth the trip, because the mark bothers me all the time, its important that i keep my products clean/no marks, plus i can go anywhere in Hessen(my state in germany) on the train/bus for 30 euros (1 ticket for 5 people) i can gather a group of friends who would like to come with me (i live in a small town and theres not much to do here when it comes to shopping) and it amounts to 6 euros per person for a round trip(2hours)

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I had to take my machine in for unfortunately many repairs. during that time I noticed on the paperwork the guy was filling out it had a visual inspection field. He put down no signs of impact or damage. My laptop had no dings dents or scratches. so my point is they will know if the ding was there before or not. if he filled out the paperwork correctly when you brought it in it should be in your favor. showing it had no dents when you brought it in and now it does.

The thing that will hurt you the most is how long you wait to resolve it. every day that passes is a day they can say you did it.

I finally got a chance to go to Frankfurt, as all the appointments were full on Saturday, I had to go without an appointment, I waited 3 and a half hours to talk to a genius, and after looking through the records, he said that my macbook was never repaired at their store, I told him I just had some screw's tightened(not a repair) so he went to talk to his manager, came back and said they will replace the whole display \screen assembly free of charge, I had to leave the Mac there, and I have to pick it up when theyre done

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I finally got a chance to go to Frankfurt, as all the appointments were full on Saturday, I had to go without an appointment, I waited 3 and a half hours to talk to a genius, and after looking through the records, he said that my macbook was never repaired at their store, I told him I just had some screw's tightened(not a repair) so he went to talk to his manager, came back and said they will replace the whole display \screen assembly free of charge, I had to leave the Mac there, and I have to pick it up when theyre done

thats a long time to wait for a genius. glad you got it sorted though. strange they had no paperwork for even the screw tightening. very careless on their part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.