Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afcbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Am away to sell my imac and want to format it and put a fresh Snow Leopard 10.6.3 thats the disk i got with my mac.

All i have read it says it can be done from Utilities but i do not get this option on my disk. I have booted it from the disk but no options to format.

any help would be great.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
After you have booted from the DVD, you can format the internal HD from the "Erase" tab in Disk Utility.

Select the hard drive on the left, check the selected format is "Mac OS extended (journaled)", then click "erase".

(after you've booted form the DVD, choose the language, then in menu bar click "Utilities" (or "Tools", I don't remember), then click Disk Utility).

afcbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
booted up from dvd picked eng then next page tells me about repair using utility but no option apart from continue so click continue.
Next is the terms so i agree. Now is the page to pick what disk to install only option is customize or install, if i pick customize i only have option to pick printer support, fonts, language and so on no other options.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
After you've booted up from the DVD, choose the language, then you should have "utilities" in the menu bar, don't you ?

If yes, click on it, then "Disk Utility".

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If your Mac was running Lion or Mountain Lion or Mavericks, it has a Recovery partition, then you need to erase the WHOLE disc, not only the "Macintosh HD" partition.
In Disk Utility, select the name of the disc, on top of "Macintosh HD".
Then click "erase".

If you erased the Macintosh HD only, the Recovery partition would still be there and you would not be able to install Snow Leopard. (you would get the message : "Snow Leopard can not be installed on this computer".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.