Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I really think Apple has a dust problem. I went through 4 iPhone 5s all had dust under the screen :mad:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
At least its low in calories according to Marjorie Dawes

Dust.jpg

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I really think Apple has a dust problem. I went through 4 iPhone 5s all had dust under the screen :mad:

I haven't had a dust problem since the 3GS. Certainly if dust were to get between a display and the touch sensors during lamination (the process since the iPhone 4 forward) it would be a more widespread problem?

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I'm with you there. This has always been the issue with the iPhones and iPads for a long time now.

Most people wouldn't see it but if you actually spend 2-3 minutes looking at a blank white screen, 100% brightness, and looking at it carefully, I can assure you that at least 50% of the devices out there have a dust inside.

But to be honest, it is hardly noticeable when you use it normally. Most people wouldn't care and most people doesn't have eyes that are as keen as some of us OCDers here. :cool:

dL

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm with you there. This has always been the issue with the iPhones and iPads for a long time now.

Most people wouldn't see it but if you actually spend 2-3 minutes looking at a blank white screen, 100% brightness, and looking at it carefully, I can assure you that at least 50% of the devices out there have a dust inside.

But to be honest, it is hardly noticeable when you use it normally. Most people wouldn't care and most people doesn't have eyes that are as keen as some of us OCDers here. :cool:

dL

And do you call something you can hardly notice watching for 3 minutes at 100% brightness an empty white screen A PROBLEM ??? :confused:

You are going to burn your retina ....

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
And do you call something you can hardly notice watching for 3 minutes at 100% brightness an empty white screen A PROBLEM ??? :confused:

You are going to burn your retina ....

For people who notice, it's a problem. This applies the same to interlacing. Now my eyes can't really discern interlacing so it doesn't bother me. But for those that do, it sure is a "problem".

dL

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

This is bull.

The original iPhone (2007), iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS had a separate digitizer and LCD, and it was possible for dust to get under the screen.

With the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and iPhone 5S, the digitizer and LCD are fused together into one piece. They cannot get dust between them.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is bull.

The original iPhone (2007), iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS had a separate digitizer and LCD, and it was possible for dust to get under the screen.

With the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and iPhone 5S, the digitizer and LCD are fused together into one piece. They cannot get dust between them.

Not true, at all. What you mean to say is that it's not possible for *more* dust to get in between the digitizer and LCD than what gets in there during the assembly process. It's definitely possible in the factory for particles to get in there. Just not after the fact.

blah007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
I have problems with dust under the glass for the camera in the back. It wasn't a problem when I got it but it moved to the lens. Going to apple tomorrow. Stupid dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.