Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Been waiting a whole year for this. Got a mini last year and it was perfect, but the screen ruined it, so I returned. This has been my most anticipated Apple product ever! Thought about getting an Air, but then I remembered how much I loved the mini's form factor last year, and considering how long I've been waiting for this, getting an Air seemed like a silly decision. This wait is going to feel so long :p Who's with me? :D

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah I sold my original Mini in anticipation. Every issue I had with the first one, most notably the screen and wifi performance, seems to be greatly improved with the second version. Can't wait.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I'm sort of somewhat intrigued. What is the real use of a retina display on a iPad mini ? Seems a little of an overkill for a middle-ware solution-ware.

Can someone enlighten me ?

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I'm sort of somewhat intrigued. What is the real use of a retina display on a iPad mini ? Seems a little of an overkill for a middle-ware solution-ware.

Go try a non-retina mini and you'll see.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I've had a mini since day one and have enjoyed every day. Yes, I have a Retina display on the iPad three and there is a difference. The form factor of the mini far out ways the difference in the screens. I'm sure I will upgrade to the new mini as soon as it is available but I have no regret over having owned the mini this past year.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I absolutely can't wait!! I gave up my perfect retina world when I had a rMBP, retina iPad and retina iPhone and decided to dump the iPad for a iPad mini. I've loved the mini size and portability but very much missed retina. Now I will finally be back in Retina paradise!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I've had a mini since day one and have enjoyed every day. Yes, I have a Retina display on the iPad three and there is a difference. The form factor of the mini far out ways the difference in the screens. I'm sure I will upgrade to the new mini as soon as it is available but I have no regret over having owned the mini this past year.

Me either even though I missed the size of the regular iPad.

----------

Go try a non-retina mini and you'll see.

Website text looks like heck! With the air I dont have to constantly resize the page to read the site.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

So that all the text looks crisp despite being small.

What's middle-ware about the Retina mini? It's the same as the Air in almost every internal way.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The shading and lighting difference between retina and non retina in Infinity Blade alone is worth the price difference. That A7 is making the retina display SHINE.

I wanna get my hands on a retina mini.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I have a mini now and love it. However, I'm not so blind that I can't see the screen is pretty rough, especially when browsing. Anyone trying to downplay the retina mini is just trying to talk themselves into not upgrading. I mean $399 is a lot of cash for the base model so I understand, but retina is a huge upgrade, not to mention the new specs.

It's up to you if you want to spend the cash. No need to justify your decision to random people on the internet.

minisuds7

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
The U.P. of Michigan
Just curious: what's the typing experience like on the 7.9-inch iPad? I've got a full size 3rd gen iPad right now and I've gotten used to "touch-typing" on it. I've been thinking about getting the new iPad Air, but part of me is curious about that smaller form factor after playing around with a first-gen iPad mini a few times in the past year. The only thing that worries me greatly is the smaller on-screen keyboard because I use my iPad to take notes in class. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
i have a mini and an Ipad3 Retina. and i am OK with both - retina or not. having a mini retina is just another nice thing for me to have but in the meantime i am ok with my non retina mini.

And? Whether you're "ok" with the non-retina or not doesn't change that the retina display blows a non-retina display out of the water. That doesn't mean you have to upgrade or think the upgrade is worth the cost, it's just the way it is.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I got an Air for home use but I miss my mini. The mini is the perfect travel device. Hopefully the cellular version is available at launch.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Same here.. just wish we knew when it was coming. And if I will be able to get one in a reasonable period of time.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was quite undecided a few days ago. I remember when the first Mini came out and I tried it at the store and loved it, but knew a retina model was coming the next year so waited. I had an iPad 2 and didn't want to get something with the same specs. So I went back to the store recently and held the Mini again and it won me over completely. I forgot how crazy light it was. This is my first retina iPad anything so now I'll finally be at retina on everything except my iMac 27" at work. But that's not really so bad. $100 cheaper than the Air with the same specs? You'd have to be crazy not to get the Mini. My only concern is for drawing. Back in college I would draw on small sketch pads too, so maybe it will be ok? And since it's more portable I'm more likely to have it with me when I get an idea.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Went to try the iPad Air thinking it may sway me away from waiting for the Retina Mini but my initial reaction after picking it up was "meh, feels like my iPad 2 basically." Yes it's smaller, thinner and lighter but in the general sense it's not a major change, it's a slight change to me. After using the girlfriends Mini for a while now it just feels right in the hand. Sort of like how a 13" MacBook feels right compared to a 11" or 15". Sure I'd want the portability and lightness of a 11" or the bigger screen of a 15" but which one feels right? 13". To me at least. Anxiously waiting for a Retina Mini now, sold my iPad 2 a few weeks ago and it made me realize how much I use a tablet: every day! It's just so nice to use for quick little game sessions, e-mail, web browsing. I'll end up keeping this Mini for at least 2 years maybe even 3.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I fully expected to buy a retina mini but Air hit the perfect weight I was looking for. Mini is still an awesome update.

Eth123

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013

It must be only me but I think the full screen retina is awful. The text is blurry making the retina mini the minimum ppi I will consider. Once you get used to 400+ ppi on smart phone and the razar sharp text, a retina air is very disappointing.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Went to try the iPad Air thinking it may sway me away from waiting for the Retina Mini but my initial reaction after picking it up was "meh, feels like my iPad 2 basically." Yes it's smaller, thinner and lighter but in the general sense it's not a major change, it's a slight change to me. After using the girlfriends Mini for a while now it just feels right in the hand. Sort of like how a 13" MacBook feels right compared to a 11" or 15". Sure I'd want the portability and lightness of a 11" or the bigger screen of a 15" but which one feels right? 13". To me at least. Anxiously waiting for a Retina Mini now, sold my iPad 2 a few weeks ago and it made me realize how much I use a tablet: every day! It's just so nice to use for quick little game sessions, e-mail, web browsing. I'll end up keeping this Mini for at least 2 years maybe even 3.

I did the something today. I went to the Apple Store to look at the iPad Airs to see if I would change my mind, but it did not.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I fully expected to buy a retina mini but Air hit the perfect weight I was looking for. Mini is still an awesome update.

+1

Apple did an amazing job getting the weight down with the Air that there's no reason for me to buy the Mini Retina.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The "I can't wait for the retina mini" thread

Having played with my Air for a couple of days I've gone back to my Mini. And for me it has to be the Mini R.

So while the Air is beautiful, the Mini R has it for me. The Mini is so portable and flexible I literally never put it down. It goes everywhere with me. I cannot say that about the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.