Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Guys,

got my iphone 5s 2 days ago. I let my phone charge last night and when i woke up the battery said it was fully charged at 100% but when i removed the lighting cable the battery said 97%. I plugged it back in and it said 100% charged. Unplugged it and it said 97 again.

Is this just the battery calibrating? nothing to worry about im assuming?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Guys,

got my iphone 5s 2 days ago. I let my phone charge last night and when i woke up the battery said it was fully charged at 100% but when i removed the lighting cable the battery said 97%. I plugged it back in and it said 100% charged. Unplugged it and it said 97 again.

Is this just the battery calibrating? nothing to worry about im assuming?

mmmh .... it's not a normal behavior but wait a couple of complete charge-discharge cycles to let the battery calibrate.

RedburnIV

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Mine does the same thing but it doesn't say 97%. It goes straight to 99%. If I restart the phone it says 100% but its a pain in the ass to have to do that every other morning.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Mine does the same thing but it doesn't say 97%. It goes straight to 99%. If I restart the phone it says 100% but its a pain in the ass to have to do that every other morning.

Rebooting your iPhone you are draining the battery much more than that false 1% indication

----------

Mines the same .... but so is my previously perfect iPhone 5 & 4S .... i suspect ANOTHER iOS7 failing.

iOS 7 surely has a strange behavior in battery indication: mine is freezed at 11% since 2 hours and I did two phone calls and a little messaging (iMessage and whatsapp) in the meanwhile ....

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Will have to see what happens tonight when i charge it. Thanks for the opinions guys.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
The iPhone charges to 100 then stops, drops to about 97 then starts again. Something about saving the battery or something. You just happened to unplug it at 97. Nothing wrong with your phone.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
i had this issue with my 5 when i was charging it with an amazon "Chines" cable plugged into my mac mini...

bought one of those 5.99 chargers that came with a cable you plugged in usb via cigarette lighter.... i had done some traveling out of the country, and down to florida in april, and wound up switching wires around the non apple certified charger wound up plugged into the mini and apple charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.

long story short, cigarette lighter burned out apple certified cable because it wasn't regulating the power correctly, and the non cert cable still works, but slowly went from charging to 98%, to not charging past 88%.

needless to say the non cert cable now sitting in the bottom of a draw somewhere...

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
This is why I despise battery percentages on any of my devices. They cause me to needlessly obsess over my battery. It's one of the first things I disable on any device.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
It was fine with morning. Charged to 100 and when i unplugged it still at 100

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland

Then don't do it :confused:

Why are you freaking out over 1%? The battery meter isn't that accurate anyway
Mine does this as well, I just turned off the percentage indicator. It's always wrong anyways.
Are you kidding ?
Sarcasm, young grasshopper.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone 5s charges to 97%?

Yessss! I just turned it off. I seemed to be always obsessing about every little percentage drop. Now, I just plug it in when it's ~1/2 empty :D

Apple store advised me to not do this, they said I should discharge to below 10% and it will charge quicker and become better at managing the battery levels. I always thought (coming from my android background) that topping when ever possible was good for these batteries!? So what should we believe?

Also since owning an iphone I switch off battery percentage. I learnt that I would needlessly obsess over what was left and herb to charge etc.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Apple store advised me to not do this, they said I should discharge to below 10% and it will charge quicker and become better at managing the battery levels. I always thought (coming from my android background) that topping when ever possible was good for these batteries!? So what should we believe?

Who said that is just ignorant ....
Discharge the battery ALWAYS below 10% is very stressful for the battery itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Also since owning an iphone I switch off battery percentage. I learnt that I would needlessly obsess over what was left and herb to charge etc.
In general, just like the whole battery percentage, it's better to just charge whenever it might be convenient for you and not worry about any particular patterns.

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
not a 5s, but my 5c did the same thing the other day, wouldnt charge past 97% but when i unplugged the cable and then replugged it it said 100%, I let the battery run all the way down till it turned off then charged it fully and its now going to 100% again, weird problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.