Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I have a late 2013 15'' MBPr (2.3 GHz, 16GB, 750M) and I'll be installing Windows 8.1 in Boot Camp because I need Visual Studio for college.

Almost all of my Steam games are Mac compatible but I have a few (and I intend to but more) that only run on Windows so I'll be installing Steam on Windows when I get the Boot Camp going. What I'm wondering if I should also install Steam on OS X and run the Mac compatible games there or if they perform just as well on Windows.

If there is not difference in how they run, I won't be installing Steam on OS X since it would be pointless to install it twice (all games run on Windows anyway).

However, if there is a difference, I'll be installing it on both OS X and Windows. Thanks!

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
I have a late 2013 15'' MBPr (2.3 GHz, 16GB, 750M) and I'll be installing Windows 8.1 in Boot Camp because I need Visual Studio for college.

Almost all of my Steam games are Mac compatible but I have a few (and I intend to but more) that only run on Windows so I'll be installing Steam on Windows when I get the Boot Camp going. What I'm wondering if I should also install Steam on OS X and run the Mac compatible games there or if they perform just as well on Windows.

If there is not difference in how they run, I won't be installing Steam on OS X since it would be pointless to install it twice (all games run on Windows anyway).

However, if there is a difference, I'll be installing it on both OS X and Windows. Thanks!

Steam does just fine on windows side. You will probably be better off using Steam for Windows, simply because some games aren't Mac Compatible yet. If you have a problem just un-install Steam for Windows.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
For the most part games are still better under windows. Some (the ones that have native osx versions) are just the same. Some that are ports will more likely be better in windows (e.g. Max Payne 3 is better in windows on my system than the mac version; but still totally playable)

Personally I use both because sometimes I cant be bothered to reboot to windows (Max Payne 3, Starcraft and Diablo for example).

Go with both if you have the space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.