Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 11, 2005, 05:45 PM   #1
poolin1243
Banned

Powerbook Combo drive wont work! HELP ASAP

so try to put in a cd and it will only go in about an inch...there is no cd in the drive, tried pmu reset and holding down the trackpad button while restarting...even went to open firmware and tryed to tell it to "eject cd" but to no avail....

is there any way to cycle the mechanical parts in there...maybe they are just out of alignment or it hasnt completely cycled through the sucking in a spitting out motions???? help asap!!!

also if this isnt possible....what can i do to get a working drive asap! this laptop is out of warranty and i wanted to sell it in a few days...!

thanks all
poolin1243 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 07:39 PM   #2
poolin1243
Banned

help....please...help...
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3
poolin1243
Banned

anybody have any clue? ive searched the forums but havent found much information...also, any info on where to get a new one...anybodys experiences....bueller.............? bueller..........? bueller...........?....
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Ummm... This isn't something that can be diagnosed or fixed online. Take it to a repair shop?
If you're really ambitious, visit www.pbfixit.com & take it apart. Could go either way though, you might make matters worse.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

The PMU reset is about all you can do software-side meaning that you'll have to either fish something out of the actual drive if there's anything there, or replace the drive at reasonable expense and difficulty. Sorry to not be very helpful but as CanadaRAM says, there's not much we can do.

Good luck with it all.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:00 AM   #6
poolin1243
Banned

wow...that sucks....big time...so whats my best plan of action? site recommendations?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:23 AM   #7
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

An Apple authorised service centre is probably your best bet.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:18 AM   #8
poolin1243
Banned

im definately a student with a negative balance...

so...here is what im maybe thinking
sell this guy...maybe sweeten the deal for somebody by adding some stuff. (for cash only) try to get 1050 for it maybe? its a 1.33 combo with 512 of ram, 60GB, bluetooth, APExtreme, extra batt (brand spankin new), and a firelite port hard drive and pair of bluetooth wireless headphones? (any takers?)

getting an apple credit card with 90 days same as cash

buying a refurb 12" off the apple site with the card...paying off the card with the cash from the other one

good plan? bad plan? yes...no..maybe?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:26 AM   #9
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

I'm having a hard time understanding this -- you are wanting to sell a Powerbook with no Applecare and a busted CD plus some extras, and you hope to net enough money to buy a new/refurb Powerbook from Apple?

Howzat going to work, then?

If you are selling it you have to disclose the CD drive damage to the buyer.

BTW: Per the forum rules, let's keep the discussion to fixing and valuing the machine, and not offering it for sale outside the Marketplace.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:43 AM   #10
poolin1243
Banned

oh of course id disclose problems...just was throwin it out there about the thought of just getting rid of it and what people thought of doin that as opposed to going through getting it all fixed etc..
i know i wouldnt get an amount equiv. to another pb, but like i might need to invest 100 bucks or 2 ya know
of course ill stick to the rules bro

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs