Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Just snagged one in Carphone Warehouse in the UK. Wasn't expecting it to be out yet as Belkin's site still says pre-order.

Edit: They had it on the shelf for 12.99 but till said 17.99. Obviously had to sell it to me at the lower price, so bonus.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Home.... Snapped it on and totally love it.. Looks good with my red Smart Cover.

As opposed to the smart case, which made my Air look like Fisher Price "My First Tablet"

doty

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
hey MrGimper, dont mind if you could snap some pictures of the case and the smart cover setup? Thanks!

Home.... Snapped it on and totally love it.. Looks good with my red Smart Cover.

As opposed to the smart case, which made my Air look like Fisher Price "My First Tablet"

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK

Ah cool! So it's a kinda grey colour right? There are no other colours are there?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ah cool! So it's a kinda grey colour right? There are no other colours are there?

Sort of frosted clear. You can see the back of the iPad including the small writing, although you can't read it. Feels a bit rubbery so good grip

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Sort of frosted clear. You can see the back of the iPad including the small writing, although you can't read it. Feels a bit rubbery so good grip

Awesome, I ordered mine online, should be here Tuesday/Wednesday :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
If the one for the previous iPads is anything to go by I wouldn't recommend the Belkin one. Mine cracked on one of the corners after a few months and I heard of several other people having the same issue as well. I wouldn't buy it unless I had no choice. The Speck and SwitchEasy ones are far better. I'm using a SwitchEasy one at the moment on my iPad 3 and I'm hoping to get either that or the Speck one for my iPad Air.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
If the one for the previous iPads is anything to go by I wouldn't recommend the Belkin one. Mine cracked on one of the corners after a few months and I heard of several other people having the same issue as well. I wouldn't buy it unless I had no choice. The Speck and SwitchEasy ones are far better. I'm using a SwitchEasy one at the moment on my iPad 3 and I'm hoping to get either that or the Speck one for my iPad Air.

Yeah I bought my first Belkin product about 10 years ago. That router and any other Belkin product I've bought since then has been returned.

I figured they could make a case right but now your post has me thinking twice.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
My iPad 3 incipio back held in the smart over which I really liked. But it didn't protect the corners too well. I'm looking for one that locks in the smart over.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010

Of course if the Switcheasy for the Ipad Mini is anything to go by, I wouldn't recommend their Coverbuddy - many corner cracks there too.... Stress and weakness on the cases for the Air should be pretty similar to the Mini as opposed to the earlier full sized IPads due to the similar thickness and curves in their design.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Of course if the Switcheasy for the Ipad Mini is anything to go by, I wouldn't recommend their Coverbuddy - many corner cracks there too.... Stress and weakness on the cases for the Air should be pretty similar to the Mini as opposed to the earlier full sized IPads due to the similar thickness and curves in their design.

I don't see what the dimensions of the Air and the Mini have got anything to do with that. I've not heard of any issues with the SwitchEasy back covers before on either the full size iPads or the Mini's. I doubt very much the difference in dimensions of the Air and Mini would make it more likely for them to crack. The SwitchEasy back covers feel and look much stronger then the Belkin ones.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
I don't see what the dimensions of the Air and the Mini have got anything to do with that. I've not heard of any issues with the SwitchEasy back covers before on either the full size iPads or the Mini's.

Page three of this Coverbuddy thread is where you start to see happiness turn to sadness. By page 6 and 7 it's nearly all posts about cracks.... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499652/

Last edited:

Ethernaut05

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
My iPad 3 incipio back held in the smart over which I really liked. But it didn't protect the corners too well. I'm looking for one that locks in the smart over.

Check out the iBlason in Amazon. Gets phenomenal reviews. Especially in that it's extremely thin, light, doesn't crack (has some flex) comes in assorted colors including a clear one (I ordered clear). Is compatible and LOCKS in the new Smart Cover! Has a great video review right on the amazon page! What more could you want? It's priced very well.

i-BLASON Apple iPad Air Case / iPad 5 Smart Cover Partner Crystal Clear Hard Snap On Slim-Fit Case (Smart Cover Compatible with Smart Cover Anchor Lock) (Clear)
http://amzn.com/B00FBFB0FI

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Page three of this Coverbuddy thread is where you start to see happiness turn to sadness. By page 6 and 7 it's nearly all posts about cracks.... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499652/

I'm not sure what your point is. There are only a handful of people there with issues. It seems like the same ones having issues with their back covers more then once. To me that is a bit suspect. One of them even admitted he or she actually dropped the iPad. The whole idea for these covers is to take the impact and damage rather then the device itself.

I've seen more complaints about the Belkin back covers then that. Maybe they have improved their new ones. Who knows. I wouldn't take a chance with them unless I read enough comments about them holding up. My SwitchEasy Nude back cover has lasted me about 18 months and is still going strong.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have also heard bad things about Belkin cases like them scratching your devices extremely tight fits or raw edges etc

mrsean

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Check out the iBlason in Amazon. Gets phenomenal reviews. Especially in that it's extremely thin, light, doesn't crack (has some flex) comes in assorted colors including a clear one (I ordered clear). Is compatible and LOCKS in the new Smart Cover! Has a great video review right on the amazon page! What more could you want? It's priced very well.

i-BLASON Apple iPad Air Case / iPad 5 Smart Cover Partner Crystal Clear Hard Snap On Slim-Fit Case (Smart Cover Compatible with Smart Cover Anchor Lock) (Clear)
http://amzn.com/B00FBFB0FI

Anyone interested in this case should order it straight from i-BLASON's website. It's cheaper there, $8.95 vs. $12.99. Also, you can use the code "SAVE10" for 10% off. I paid $13 w/ shipping for the frost color which I believe is the same as the clear that they have on Amazon.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I haven't had a problem with this range of belkin matte ones. Had one on my iPad 3 and mini. No cracking or scratching.

The early ones were brittle and cracked at the corners as they attached around the entire corner. The design has changed slightly since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.