Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CthrewU

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 316

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Than how are you going to hold it and not activate the icons on the sides by mistake. ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    991.9 KB · Views: 101

CthrewU

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Than how are you going to hold it and not activate the icons on the sides by mistake. ?

Maybe the same way they manage to ignore unintentional touches with the ipad mini and ipad air. Maybe the sides aren't touch capacititive and are there for display purposes only? Who knows?

I'am not a Apple hardware engineer. I'am simply looking forward to more usable and useful space on a future iOS device.

Why so much cynicism?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have about zero interest in having no bezel on a phone. Makes it impossible to hold without obscuring SOMETHING on the screen. And forget wanting to put a case on it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
This is ugly. I don't want this on my iPhone so I hope they don't ever include something like this. Really dont see the point. A cool thing I can think of...double screens. Meaning if your phone is on it's front or back, it has a screen that you can operate.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Samsung's CEO did an on-stage demo of this, where they had a prototype device in a leather case and notifications would scroll along the screen-covered edge, so you could see them without opening the case.

It looked cool, but I dunno. I like the iPhones metal bezel; it adds a touch of class and a sense of high quality (as dumb as that probably sounds).

I suppose you could make it so that your notifications scroll and the sides aren't touch sensitive, but I don't know how much added functionality that would give me personally. It's easy enough to drag down notification center.

kdarling

macrumors P6
An idea that past concept phone designs have used, is a display that wraps completely around the device for use as a virtual "skin".

This allows changing the device's case "wallpaper" or theme to fit your mood / time / location.

Of course, it seems like a waste to make all of that high resolution. At least, not unless it costs just pennies in the future.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
this looks stupid. but generally speaking renderings do look stupid and apple generally makes stuff that doesn't look stupid. I'm sure if they ever went with this idea, they'd find a way to make it work.

on a side note i really dont get whats so special about these curved screens. You tilt your phone and see updates? how hard is it to press one button?

CthrewU

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
this looks stupid. but generally speaking renderings do look stupid and apple generally makes stuff that doesn't look stupid. I'm sure if they ever went with this idea, they'd find a way to make it work.

on a side note i really dont get whats so special about these curved screens. You tilt your phone and see updates? how hard is it to press one button?

The concept is interesting and yes it's is a prototype. Hardly stupid looking but to each his own. The video of the demo still looks cool. Somebody will implement something like this in the near future. Hears hoping Apple can wow the world again with something useful and in a beautiful design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.