Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phaselocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey all,

I see so many people complaining about the late 2013 (haswell) macbook pro's. A lot of people have problems with screen, freeze, etc...

Now I'm making this thread to see if there are people that don't have any problems? And that are really satisfied?

I would like to know, thanks!

EatingApples

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Hey all,

I see so many people complaining about the late 2013 (haswell) macbook pro's. A lot of people have problems with screen, freeze, etc...

Now I'm making this thread to see if there are people that don't have any problems? And that are really satisfied?

good question... :) Would also like to know that!

Adgeman

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2005
Hey all,

Me. I'm very happy with my 2013 15" 2.3. Think of these forums like a hospital ward. In most cases you only come here if you're sick; if you're healthy and everything is going well you never need to visit. If you were to take a hospital ward as a typical view you'd think everyone was sick but it's a minority.

iCam

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
my 13" 2.4/16/256 has been flawless hardware wise. i did *almost* lose all my data on a 1tb WD passport external but i managed to fix it.

I've been happy w my purchase and have zero regrets/complaints at this time. no trackpad issues, yellow screen, etc.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Add me to that list. I got a 15" 2.6/16GB/1TB and have not noticed any problems... hope it stays that way.

You have to question some of these complaints wrt to screen brightness - it's fair enough if you get a yellow screen or something with an obvious flaw, but some people are just not satisfied. I don't know if I have an LG or Samsung but I know that my screen is quite bright and crisp. I've set it to the max and that's an unrealistic setting - I have it 2 or 3 from the brightest works. What's the point wanting the max brightness to be so blind it's unusable.

Freezing/stickiness: not really experienced that. I have parallels desktop installed and in windows mode(not coherence) you notice your cursor might stick when it reaches the edge of the window. That's working as designed so the features of windows can be enabled. I'm wondering how much of the complaints are actually user errors.

Transferring files over Wifi was initially slow but that was my error, not a mac issue. It took about 2or 3 hours to xfer 27GBs. When I used Time Capsule, it's about 2 hours to transfer almost 70GBs. Cue the complaint. :D

I've not used a mac in the past 15 years and when I did it could not have been for more than 1 hr. So far, I've set up my network, installed/configured parallels, windows, etc, set up time capsule/time machine backups, etc. All in all, my experience has been positive and I'll just take my time learning to use the machine rather than looking for imaginary problems.

There are things I need to get used to or change how I do it - delete button, home, end, scroll up, etc. But that's just the nature of change.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Me too. Got a 15" 2.3Ghz/16GB/512/750M and could not be happier. There's no issues with the screen, trackpad or anything like that.

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
My 2.6/16/1 TB/750 M (with Samsung display) does not have issues. But I will most likely return her because I am going with 2.3.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Flawless

No issues at all since purchase 10 days ago. Specs in my sig.

BTW, I also picked up a 1TB LaCie Rugged ThunderBolt/USB3 for backups and the speed is amazing. I've had no problems with hot spots on the included TB cable as some others have reported.

dankev

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
my 13" 2.4/16/256 has been flawless hardware wise. i did *almost* lose all my data on a 1tb WD passport external but i managed to fix it.

I've been happy w my purchase and have zero regrets/complaints at this time. no trackpad issues, yellow screen, etc.

No issues at all since purchase 10 days ago. Specs in my sig.

Can you guys just confirm that you have new 13"s, and you haven't had any keyboard/trackpad freezing? I was under the impression it was affecting all new 13" rMBPs. It certainly is affecting me. It didn't happen until my 2nd day of use, but now it happens around 3x per day. It's a huge pain in the ass when I'm in the middle of doing something, and I need to keep typing. There have been a couple times where I lost a couple minutes I couldn't get them back.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
2.6 ghz/750m

Only problems are some wonky dGPU performance and Win8 won't install in Boot Camp, both of which seem like software issues.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
So you guys have no problems with the 750m + bootcamp? ( i think there is a problem with the EFI ).

Sybersport

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
I have a 15" 2.3/16/1TB machine with an LG screen, and it's perfect.

No yellow tint, no image retention, no lockups and it's blazing fast.

I love this thing

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Why? You spent $3000 on a new macbook but will return it to save $180 on a processor upgrade??

That's the reason I went with the 2.6 - $180 was nominal. I knew I wanted 16GB and 1TB(would have settled for 768, and did not want 512) and the cost of the upgrade was no biggie.

Then again, this makes sense for the OP. If he does not need it, why spend $180 for something he would not miss.

wotsthestory

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
South London
13 8Gb 256Gb SSD

Arrived Monday, froze once that day and it has froze usually once a day. Froze this morning twice within about 10 minutes of each other. Not at all since.

Close the lid, wait 30 seconds and all is well.

I might log it with Apple tomorrow.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
So you guys have no problems with the 750m + bootcamp? ( i think there is a problem with the EFI ).

I've not set up bootcamp - currently using parallels. That's the reason I maxed out because I wanted to make sure I had a powerful enough machine where the performance lag with parallels would be negligible.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I just bought two 13" MBPr's this week. Mine that I bought myself was a refurb from Apple and is a late 2012 with 8gb ram and 128gb SSD and it seems to be working terrific and is flawless so far, very happy with it. My wife was jealous of mine and tired of using her Asus windows laptop, so we went to Best Buy and I picked her up the new late 2013 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

Her screen looks great and just like the one on my refurb unit, I didn't see any yellow tint to it, but she called me at work about and hour ago and told me that her mouse and keyboard stopped working :mad: I had to tell her to shut the lid for a minute and open it and see if it fixed it. That fixed the problem, but it sure is embarrasing for me since I've been trying to convince her to switch to a Mac for the last year. Now she's saying it's just as buggy as her windows laptop and wonders why I spent so much money on it for her.

I'm wondering if I should just return it and get her a refurb just like mine.

-Eden

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2010
15/2.3/16/512 w/ TBD, no issues (for all you wondering, its an LG screen). No IR, no crazy backlight bleeding (its there, but its there on $4000 LED TV's), screen is white.
But I do use Flux to get the screen a warmer temperature.. makes it easier to work on the screen for extended periods of time. Can't live without it now :)

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Funny was about to post no issues,
went to another tab to check a couple things,
then the mouse and keyboard locked up ,
requiring a long press of the power button to reboot...

First time, but concerning...

2.4/8/256

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.