Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slptest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Hi,

Hopefully I can get some assistance here.

I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3 (I do not want to upgrade to 7).

I was running out of space on my 16gb 4s so I cleared out some old pictures, music, deleted a couple apps I wasn't using.

Everything seemed to go as expected, but then about a day after I'd cleaned up my iphone I noticed that I had about 3gb of 'Other' taking up space on my phone (this might actually be the same amount of stuff I deleted from my phone, but I'm not sure).

So I tried doing a hard reset of my phone and I noticed it did not automatically reboot. It just stayed off until I hit the home button. No big deal but when it restarted I noticed he screen has started flickering around the edges. I read online that you can fix this by turning off auto-brightness and leaving the phone off for a bit. This worked but after I restarted it again it started flickering again.

I've tried to restore from backup (I backed up to my mac right before I did the purge of old pictures, apps, music a few nights ago), but it said that my phone does not have enough space to restore from backup! I only have 1.65GB of free space, down from about 3.6GB free space right after I had cleaned up my iphone a few nights ago!

So where did all this 'Other' come from? I feel like I should just factory restore my phone but I don't want to lose passwords, contact info, etc. and the impression I get is that not everything is saved with itunes backup (I should also mention I back up to my mac [running snow leopard] not icloud).

I never have done a sync as I have a ton more music in itunes than iphone. But maybe I should try it.

So now I have a phone that I can't restore from backup because there are 3.43GB of 'Other' sitting in it for some reason (from searching around online I think this is just corrupt data because I've cleared out safari cache, don't use mms, can't think of anything else this could be coming from). The screen is flickering. It also seems like the battery is draining faster now, though this could just be in my head.

Anyway, apologies for the long rambling message, not sure how else to get all this info across.

But the gist is... I feel like my best option now is to factory reset my iphone and then restore from a backup – I just want to make sure every little bit of info is there when I restore. What's the best way to do this? Is there a better solution?

I'm also worried that if I try to factory reset my iphone, somehow I'll be forced to install iOS 7... which I'd rather avoid doing because I'm on the 4s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I'm also worried that if I try to factory reset my iphone, somehow I'll be forced to install iOS 7... which I'd rather avoid doing because I'm on the 4s.

That's PRECISELY what has happened. Apple in its infinite wisdom has automatically downloaded IOS7 to your phone, taking up the space, and you are just clicks away from updating to the new OS with no way to undo.

Head over to the IOS6 forum and read up on the threads before you do anything.

slptest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Wow.

Haven't found anything on this site yet, but found suggestions to remove the auto download on other sites. So far none have worked.

Thank you for the reply! At least it's sort of reassuring to know that it's not my phone itself that's breaking down.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If you can, jailbreak. I believe there is an app that allows you to delete that iPhone update data to get your space back.

You'll also be glad to know, there is a class action lawsuit against Apple for downloading the update and taking so much space without the user's consent.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you can, jailbreak. I believe there is an app that allows you to delete that iPhone update data to get your space back.

6.1.3 cannot be JB, at this time.

You'll also be glad to know, there is a class action lawsuit against Apple for downloading the update and taking so much space without the user's consent.

The chutzpah of Apple taking 3 GB from your 16 GB device wo as much as a popup asking "do you want to do this?" GGGRRRRRR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.