Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
day 2 of using it and i don't seem to get how the air is supposed to be a comfortable device without a rubber case or anything. the sharp now narrow edges in portrait dig into your skin. worse off is your thumb being on screen a lot . in landscape your thumbs need to stretch out real far to reach any links or taps in the middle of the screen.

so I'm left with holding the back of it and using the iPad with the other hand. i thought iwas going to be in love with the air but for some reason maybe I'm looking for more portability. should i return and wait out the retina mini ? would apps really run the same on both platforms ? i liked the performance a lot i was just ticked off that its unwieldily with no bezels and sharp edges

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
day 2 of using it and i don't seem to get how the air is supposed to be a comfortable device without a rubber case or anything. the sharp now narrow edges in portrait dig into your skin. worse off is your thumb being on screen a lot . in landscape your thumbs need to stretch out real far to reach any links or taps in the middle of the screen.

so I'm left with holding the back of it and using the iPad with the other hand. i thought iwas going to be in love with the air but for some reason maybe I'm looking for more portability. should i return and wait out the retina mini ? would apps really run the same on both platforms ? i liked the performance a lot i was just ticked off that its unwieldily with no bezels and sharp edges

Having never used an iPad before I feel the same way. Just awkward to use for me and I plan on returning for the mini.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
maybe its just us. I've never had an iPad before tho either. obviously I've held them tho and because the edges had a big space for your hand you could hold it. with these non existent bezels things start to get ... weird lol. the mini has more rounded edges so it does not dig into your skin. its not like it hurts its just not... comfortable for very long. and the touch regoniction for your thumbs works like 50 / 50 sometimes it knows and i can scroll down a page sometimes it thinks I'm doing pinch to zoom...

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I'm diggig the feel.. The better half has a mini and I have a previous ipad2.. I can't rock the mini - just too small for my taste

IMO the air feels good in the hands.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's a huge improvement from the previous generations (I always thought the tapered edges were a step backwards in comfort from the first generation design) but it's still just a tad heavier than would be ideal. At some weight the tablet just kind of disappears in your hand and anything lower than that is just gravy. The Air isn't quite there yet.

Still, it's a trade off I make for the larger display. I'm buying this device entirely for the screen, so I'll put up with a little extra weight to get that. You might be happier with a Mini.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I don't feel uncomfortable holding it. In fact I can't put it down even though I got a Smart Cover so it could stand. But just because it's comfortable for me doesn't mean it would be for anyone else!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just demonstrates the divergent opinions and what companies are up against when designing.

Personally I adore the new form factor and and thinking of leaving it naked w/ just a front and rear film protector. Both the new width, depth, and weigh are a big improvement to me. It's not the mini. It's not suppose to be.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Too fat, too skiny, too light or too heavy .... Stop by any store and try latest Samsung slab tablet, ipad air is just stunning in compare! Apple can't make any possible Joe Shmoe happy :)

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm very happy with the overall feel and weight. I loved the mini most but it's a very slight trade off for larger screen real estate.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
maybe its just us. I've never had an iPad before tho either. obviously I've held them tho and because the edges had a big space for your hand you could hold it. with these non existent bezels things start to get ... weird lol. the mini has more rounded edges so it does not dig into your skin. its not like it hurts its just not... comfortable for very long. and the touch regoniction for your thumbs works like 50 / 50 sometimes it knows and i can scroll down a page sometimes it thinks I'm doing pinch to zoom...
Yeah maybe you want to try the mini iPad first and then decide if you need a bigger screen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Return it and get the Mini.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but do you have small hands?

I have quite biggish hands, and I get a good grasp on the iPad 3-4. But the Mini seems a little too small for my taste. Obviously the only problem I had with iPad 3 was its bulk, and adding a smart cover (around 500 grams) just made things worse.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
yeah my hands are not large, im not the tallest guy anyway like 5-8.

i stopped trying to hold my ipad in portrait mode as the sharp edges kept digging into me. in landscape im fine. i think ill keep it for school. with a rubber back slim case and a screen protector i should be good at keeping it at closet to 1.3lbs

as much as i complained here i think the mini for school and music production would be even worse. i would just enjoy it on the couch/bed a TON more . but getting my nexus 5 shipped this week a 4.9 in screen vs the 7.9 on the mini wont be a big deal and ill have all my bases covered....

i think lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.