Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I have a 3rd Gen 32gb iPad that I'm looking to upgrade from and looking for opinions on what the better upgrade option is.

I usually upgrade every other generation so, having the 3rd Gen model, the Air would be my next upgrade and latest and greatest, but, nothing instantly jumps out to me as gotta have it as weight is not an issue and, being on the 3, 'fast' is relative to what I'm used to on there.

However, I need to upgrade now because my 3rd gen model only has 13mb free space available so every time I want to add something, I have to remove something else first so I'm going back and forth between;

Option A) 64gb iPad Air for $699 (plus the cost of a new case)

Option B) 64gb iPad 4th gen refurb from Apple for $529

I figure I can probably get $300-$350 for mine so upgrade costs would be about $350-$400 for the Air (plus costs for a case) or $180-$230 for the 4th gen.

What would you do? Is the air worth that or would you get a 4th gen refurb?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I would do the iPad air if you can afford it. Going from the 3rd gen to a 4th gen isn't a jump at all. If I wanted an upgrade I would go for the device that will have the most future support. Plus the reduced bezel size is a huge improvement for me. But if you want to save money, look for a 64GB 3rd gen on ebay or amazon if you can.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If you plan to use it for two years like your 3rd gen I think the iPad Air will be a better choice. Also, it's lighter so over the coming 2 years you'll have less arm fatigue using it i.e. joy.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Personally if I didn't go iPad air, I would choose retina mini over refurb iPad 4. You still get the faster A7 and a similar price point.

I agree with this.

I think the form factor upgrade might be a bigger deal to you than you realize now.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I did this exactly. All are 32gb verizon: sold my ipad 3, got a refurb 4 delivered this past Tuesday, realized it was an extra 180 out of pocket for the air on Friday and there was plenty of stock so I retuned the refurb 4 and got the air.

Simply put, I'll never get the return value on the 4 that I did returning it to apple within my two weeks, that plus the resale of the air in a year will be much greater, maybe not 180 greater, but much more than the 4.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I have a 3rd Gen 32gb iPad that I'm looking to upgrade from and looking for opinions on what the better upgrade option is.

I usually upgrade every other generation so, having the 3rd Gen model, the Air would be my next upgrade and latest and greatest, but, nothing instantly jumps out to me as gotta have it as weight is not an issue and, being on the 3, 'fast' is relative to what I'm used to on there.

However, I need to upgrade now because my 3rd gen model only has 13mb free space available so every time I want to add something, I have to remove something else first so I'm going back and forth between;

Option A) 64gb iPad Air for $699 (plus the cost of a new case)

Option B) 64gb iPad 4th gen refurb from Apple for $529

I figure I can probably get $300-$350 for mine so upgrade costs would be about $350-$400 for the Air (plus costs for a case) or $180-$230 for the 4th gen.

What would you do? Is the air worth that or would you get a 4th gen refurb?

Also don't forget the sales tax of around 8%. Which is about 60$. Also buy your case on amazon for a very cheap price.
I got Tech Armors screen protectors and a case for 12$ with free 2 day shipping. Do you want to know the package I got?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.