Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Just wondering who's been purchasing Airs lately. Are you buying 4GB or 8GB ram?

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Mine's a base model 4GB 13" mid-2013, and it's running Mavericks great. I can even run Diablo 3 on near max settings, and Guild Wars 2 on low, and it doesn't have much if any frame rate stutter at all. I always seem to have RAM to spare.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Why wouldn't you consider it? Mavericks runs outstandingly well on 4. Obviously 8 is nicer to have, so is more storage, and a faster cpu. If you need it, get it. If you don't, don't.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Why wouldn't you consider it? Mavericks runs outstandingly well on 4. Obviously 8 is nicer to have, so is more storage, and a faster cpu. If you need it, get it. If you don't, don't.

I would love to have 8 GB but to be honest for 90% of people possibly more 4 GB is fine. I am a MIS and Marketing major and use virtual machines a lot and manage on 4 GB just fine on my Macbook Air

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Mavericks turns 4GB into 6GB due to memory compression. I have 4GB and it's plenty. Even run photo editing apps without issues.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Just little concerned in the long run, I'm in school for next 3 years. How does basic config of 2010 runs right now?

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Would you even consider 4GB ram today?

How it will be 2-3 years from now?

Last edited:

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
Just wondering who's been purchasing Airs lately. Are you buying 4GB or 8GB ram?

Of course I would.

If my MBA is a secondary computer, there really is no point in upgrading to more RAM if I'll never use it.

Like always, it depends upon what you'll use the laptop for.

My current usage: internet, iTunes, MS Office, etc. and I'm using ~2 GB of RAM.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011

I'm still using my 2010 Macbook Air with 2GB RAM, and I'm currently running OS X Mavericks perfectly fine. This is my main machine, and I hardly notice the RAM limitations in everyday usage as a graduate student; the only time I notice it is when I'm trying to multitask with heavy apps (which is very rare).

However, if I were purchasing a new MacBook Air (which I am planning in 2014), I would not consider anything less than 8GB. The money I would save by choosing a lower RAM option is not enough to justify it.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
4GB is fine

How it will be 2-3 years from now?

If you don't upgrade your computer to the next major osx revision and the same for your apps that you install today then your performance will remain the same over the next 2-3 years. naturally, os and apps seem to be more demanding as time marches on. Remember that the Air has solid state memory which does a nice job of hiding disk page outs due to its speed. 4GB is a great option.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just little concerned in the long run, I'm in school for next 3 years. How does basic config of 2010 runs right now?

Incorrect. The base 2010 model had 2 GB.

Maynard Keynes: In the long run we'll be all dead

You are in school, the professor won't make you code a 1 million lines App.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Depends if you plan on keeping it for a long time, 4 GB isn't a lot these days but it's enough for anyone who doesn't use heavy duty apps (i.e most people). I will probably keep my 2012 MBA for the next 3 years if all holds up well so it wouldn't sit right with me using 4 GB of RAM in 2016 so I upgraded to 8 GB RAM.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Since third party RAM was so cheap, I upgraded my 2010 MBP to 8 gigs. When the 2013 airs arrived, I didn't want to go back, spec-wise. But I have a hard time justifying it. Resale value, maybe. But actually I spent money on a luxury.

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Multitasking on 4gb of ram

It's perfectly suitable for most users.

Additionally, modern software isn't getting more memory-hungry. They're getting smarter and more efficient. "needing more ram for futureproofing" is mainly FUD leftover from the previous decade The only way I would consider 'future-proofing' is if you plan on changing your own usage patterns.

Consider that the ipad mini runs buttery smooth on 512mb of RAM..

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
I want to believe you. Got any citations?

I'm a software developer. Just my observations.

Let me elaborate a tiny bit-
For the large portion of the past decade, primary goal of consumer software developers was to add in more features. We got huge monolithic software from large corporations that added everything but the kitchen sink and cost a ton of money. It wasn't until recently we had a proliferation of independent developers and small startups. A lot of it was thanks to the mobile revolution. We started calling them "apps".. they cost $4 instead of $400, and more task focused. Hardware changed... cpu clock speeds hit a ceiling, devices needed to shrink, battery life became more of a concern. Companies like apple and google heavily enforced best-practices on limited mobile operating systems.. practices which eventually trickled on to laptop/desktops, and gradually even becoming apparent even on clunky corporate software.

Software developers can't add better hardware to their customer's computers, so they make it more efficient. If they can't make a software scroll through a hundred images, they can't just expect the next generation of computers to fix that problem.. The average-joe computer is the new common denominator so optimization/performance/refinement is a big priority. "User-experience" is the new buzzword that's here to stay.

Last edited:

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Well just ordered 13" Air with 8GB, better safe than sorry :) better for resale if time comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.