Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr1970

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
So...I've got myself into a bit of a mess.

I've had a fair number of macs over the years and, until Time Machine came along, had a variety of paranoia-based backup strategies.

I moved to a Mac Pro about 6 months ago and now everything is at least in one place - however...

The very, very long and short of it is that I now have 344 iPhoto libraries. Some of them will be are a fair size but some appear to be claiming to be 20 bytes, which is clearly nonsense.

I bought Aperture as I figured that would be the easiest way to merge libraries, and have dealt with the two or three biggest libraries. The problems I have now, however, are:

- The Aperture library is now >100GB and I absolutely don't have that many photos - I'd guess my entire library might be 10k photos
- I'd like to do a sweep of the data drive for "loose" image files but as many of them will have similar names I'm wondering what the easiest way to move them into one place would be. Ideally I want to move them all into one folder from where I can add them to aperture.

Anyone had the same sort of problem? The obvious, painful answer is just hack my way through one folder at a time but there must be an easier way...?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Just merge them into your Aperture master library... one at a time. Once all the pictures are there... begin the organizational task of sorting them into some type of relevant projects... and then deleting the dups.

There is no short cut here that I know of. Luckily... Aperture excels at importing libraries. It is all built in.

/Jim

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
So...I've got myself into a bit of a mess.

I've had a fair number of macs over the years and, until Time Machine came along, had a variety of paranoia-based backup strategies.

I moved to a Mac Pro about 6 months ago and now everything is at least in one place - however...

The very, very long and short of it is that I now have 344 iPhoto libraries. Some of them will be are a fair size but some appear to be claiming to be 20 bytes, which is clearly nonsense.

I bought Aperture as I figured that would be the easiest way to merge libraries, and have dealt with the two or three biggest libraries. The problems I have now, however, are:

Ed
- I'd like to do a sweep of the data drive for "loose" image files but as many of them will have similar names I'm wondering what the easiest way to move them into one place would be. Ideally I want to move them all into one folder from where I can add them to aperture.

Anyone had the same sort of problem? The obvious, painful answer is just hack my way through one folder at a time but there must be an easier way...?

There's a app called Gemini has worked well fo me to delete dupes within the libraries. There's a demo. http://macpaw.com/gemini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.