Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BizzyLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
I currently have a MBP from early 2011 running OS X Lion. I want to upgrade to Mavericks. How has your experience been since upgrading to the new OS?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Mine has been positive, but then I am always an early adopter and being in IT am used to the pains of growing and new releases and testing so I have a higher tolerance than most for the inevitable change forthcoming (and sometimes look forward to it).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I had issues with what iBooks did to the book collection, and with what they called the new versions of the iWork apps. I went back to Mountain Lion.

There may have been other issues, but I decided to not wait to find them all.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I have a late-2012 27" iMac. I get some beach balls when I didn't before, some word lagginess when typing, some Safari freezes and lagginess. I didn't have iWork '09 (this is my first year on a Mac) so the new iWork is all new to me. My computer appears to use 1-2 GB more RAM than it used to, all things considered, but I have 24 GB installed and don't worry about it.

I like the changes to Safari, minus the bugs, of course.

However, I've decided to wait until versions .1 or .2 in the future. Some of the reports of what's happened to people's computers are rather disturbing.

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson
yup, so far so good, do seem to have some minor Mail glitches with Google Mail, but I can live with that, in any case, I hear there is a fix on its way! :)

youtubin

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I have two Macs with Mavericks on them.
The iMac 27" mid 2010, I did an upgrade on from ML. No issues.
The Mac Mini late 2012, I did a clean install on. No issues.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Upgraded (did not do clean install because I just couldn't get that posted terminal command to create a USB install & just said the heck with it) my late 2012 15" rMBP in my sig. No major issues thus far. I do get random beach-balling when I am scrolling in Firefox. I haven't really put my machine through it's paces yet since upgrading, so maybe I'll run into an issue later.

BizzyLeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
I have a friend who did a clean install and has no complaints. My sister has the early 2013 MBP and would complain about her computer being slower and the appearance of the beach ball/color wheel. I'm trying to be patient with what I'm sure are fixes for minor issues. But I also want to just get it over with already.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
I did a clean install on my 2012 Mac Mini and it's been great so far, no regrets.

I would love to get a consensus on doing a delta vs. clean install to know if it's really worth the extra time with 10.9. I know with Lion I noticed a big difference.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Same here. Upgrading, not fresh install. Everything runs smooth. Only splashid safe that I found not fully compatible, and Outlook 2011 have minor lag during scrolling.

So far so good. Works like a charm on my MBA 2012.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Perfect after a clean install.

Something was keeping my computer in clam shell mode before that, though. :confused:

Hankmac

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
Late 2009 27" 3.03 GHz Core 2 Duo, 16 Gb ram..
Beachballs more prevalent...
Lag on typing at times.
I don't know what a clean install is but wonder if that might help?
Are they hard to do?
As it stands I wouldn't mind having Mountain Lion back!
Thanks
Hank

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
2009 iMac 27" here...didn't do clean install and I'm getting random crash/reboots when typing fast.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I did the upgrade and have been very happy with Mavericks so far. I've encountered a few very minor Finder glitches but I anticipate they will be corrected with the next update.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Very similar to ML with slight improvements. Been using it since developer preview 1 and I've never really run into any showstopping bugs. Everything's been running pretty smooth for a 2010 macbook pro.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
I have a MBP mid 2012. Didn't do a clean install. I have some split second spinning beach balls on a daily basis that I didn't have before. Did have one pain of a Mail issue after update, but was able to fix it so far. Not happy with that awful dock white colour and that I can't change it.

Do find that my MBP is slightly faster and my battery lasts longer. I wish I wasn't an early adopter and stuck with Mountain Lion as I had no issues except the Gmail/Mail app problems from time to time. I thought updating would resolve that -- wrong.

Now I'm waiting for the next update.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
It's bearable but I'd wait until the update is released. I've had issues with Mail, Finder, iTunes, Maps, and Activity Monitor. Some issues were fixed with a reboot, but my philosophy is that I shouldn't have needed to reboot to begin with.

My machine WAS running fine after the upgrade, but lately has been slower which is what concerns me (these issues also recently started too, a week or so after the upgrade).

All in all, you should be "ok" if you upgrade but I'd wait until 10.9.1 to be safe, assuming Apple fixes the bugs.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
2012 MBA.

Most seems to work. PDF scrolling seems to ever-so-slightly blur out the text while it's scrolling. I don't know if this is a bug or an effort to make scrolling smoother by rendering less. See image:
8iV6Ez8.png

Yesterday I was scrolling through a 30 page PDF document, and it kind of locked up every 5 pages. There were hardly any images, so I don't know what that was all about. However, today I can easily scroll through 800 pages of a scanned book without problems.

The new Pages also seems to be very laggy, when typing on a mostly empty page in a large document. However, when already on an almost-full page, it works perfectly fine.

Everything else seems good.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its ok.....

There are some niches to that there is no single option to turn of all tags at once *It's the first thing i do after installing cos hey drive me nuts*, same with preventing Notifications, unfortunately, you must get them first, just to "deny" these in Safari...... Something i'll never understand.

A few becah-balls here and there with Mail IMAP, but no big deal.

All in all, its been ok, although haven't really checked this, but on restart/shutdown , i see a ghost image on the grey screen of my wallpapers.

Trying to see whats going on here.

northstarweb

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
No issues on my 5 year old PowerBook

I upgraded my secondary computer just in case there were any compatibility issues. It took an age to download, but everything just came back just as before, I didn't have to do a thing. It all runs fine and the new features may sound small, but they make a dramatic difference on day to day usage.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I upgraded my secondary computer just in case there were any compatibility issues. It took an age to download, but everything just came back just as before, I didn't have to do a thing. It all runs fine and the new features may sound small, but they make a dramatic difference on day to day usage.

Did I just read PowerBook…? :confused::confused:

Attachments

• PowerBook.png
    PowerBook.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 110

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am not sure whether this would help. But, I reset PRAM and SMC multiple times until system get stabilize (no sudden high temp, nor beachball).

Its ok.....

There are some niches to that there is no single option to turn of all tags at once *It's the first thing i do after installing cos hey drive me nuts*, same with preventing Notifications, unfortunately, you must get them first, just to "deny" these in Safari...... Something i'll never understand.

A few becah-balls here and there with Mail IMAP, but no big deal.

All in all, its been ok, although haven't really checked this, but on restart/shutdown , i see a ghost image on the grey screen of my wallpapers.

Trying to see whats going on here.

enakeprimen

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2012
Jakarta, INDONESIA
I also own an MBP early 2011 I upgraded to Maverick the day after it launched but then I downgraded to ML last week since I didn't like the redesign of some apps on Maverick such as Notes, Calendar, Contacts, iCloud and more. The ML also run faster than Maverick on my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.