Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Im an american that relocated to canada. At the moment, i dont have a cell phone... i didnt get one b/c i dont know anyone here and just have a canadian landline. When i make phone calls to the usa, i go to my gmail and use google voice to make the phone call.

1. Last time i tried to use google voice on my itouch... it didn't work. Does anyone know why? When i use google voice, i log into my gmail account and then click on the icon with the phone to make a phone call. This is on my laptop. But on my itouch... i cannot find this icon. Is it b/c i cannot do google voice phone call on the itouch?

2. I read there are programs where you can make phone calls free and text free as well with an itouch. My itouch is 4th generation. I read there is a program called talkatone that i could use on my itouch but using it would be my google voice number? My google voice number is a california one... i created one when i was in the usa but i live in east coast... not sure why my area code for google voice was a california one.

Anyways, can i use talkatone on my itouch and then it would work making phone calls to the usa or in canada? Of course i will be on wifi for this to happen as i read it requires wifi or 3g/4g.

3. Another question i have is can i text using talktatone? I cant seem to text with my google voice number when in my gmail acct. Is there a reason why? This is on my laptop. I would like to text someone that is in the usa frequently. Can i do this with talkatone then? I read its not available for canadians but since im an american that is in canada... and my google voice number is an american one i can?

4. Also does it cost anything more for the person to receive my phone call or text in the usa if i use talkatone? Because for text... it would be an international text but isn't it still regular text since my google voice number is american even though im in canada? The only thing i know is me calling with google voice to the usa on my laptop doesnt cost anything if i call a landline at home.

5. Just really confused b/c i read the FAQ and it seems they say all is free but some things they mention like cheap international calls and texts... which confuses me b/c i thought its all free unless you do the talkatone premium? I guess they mean if you are canadian and have a canadian google voice number then its not free to text or call to the usa but its free if you are an america and doesnt matter if you in the usa or canada since you have an american google voice number?

Superluigi6

Suspended
Oct 3, 2013
Okay, I use Textme. Textme is an app that provides international text messaging for free. But I'm not sure for the phone calls.

People in the US or Canada can get access to texting in over 40 countries, and and more for those who have credits.

Credits are pretty much money, and you can get them by either viewing an advertisement video or by buying them.

As of for phone calls, the service says you can and is probably the same as with texting.

Be safe with this. I've never used this for international calling and only for calling people in the United States. Don't blame me if you get a charge.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Okay, I use Textme. Textme is an app that provides international text messaging for free. But I'm not sure for the phone calls.

People in the US or Canada can get access to texting in over 40 countries, and and more for those who have credits.

Credits are pretty much money, and you can get them by either viewing an advertisement video or by buying them.

As of for phone calls, the service says you can and is probably the same as with texting.

Be safe with this. I've never used this for international calling and only for calling people in the United States. Don't blame me if you get a charge.

Wait if i use it to call internationally and there is a cost, wouldn't i get a message for it? Such as like with skype since if it cost money and you don't put any credit card or stuff there... then the call won't go through?

Superluigi6

Suspended
Oct 3, 2013
Wait if i use it to call internationally and there is a cost, wouldn't i get a message for it? Such as like with skype since if it cost money and you don't put any credit card or stuff there... then the call won't go through?

Yeah I use the app and like said, I only use it for US calling only. But it should be safe, so go ahead and try it :)

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Can someone here who is from the usa and has a google voice number from the us who went to canada can confirm if they can text to the usa free of charge and call as well?

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
I personally use Talkatone on my iPod 5th Gen which is a VoIP client that integrates with your Google Voice account. I made several trips to Canada this year and was able to call/text back home without a problem.

Also to answer your other questions, I made quite a few calls to Canada from the states using Talkatone so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work while in Canada.

You probably have a California area code because when you sign up for Google Voice it just shows you the phone numbers available at that time. Same thing happened to me (live on the east coast) and I have an Arizona area code as that was one of the only ones available when I signed up.

As far as rates go, it follows the Google Voice structure so calls/texts to US/Canada are free and you have to add money to your Google Voice account to contact numbers internationally (I believe). Otherwise Talkatone is free. You can pay a monthly fee for "better call quality" and removing the ads. Not required though.

Last edited:

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I personally use Talkatone on my iPod 5th Gen which is a VoIP client that integrates with your Google Voice account. I made several trips to Canada this year and was able to call/text back home without a problem.

Also to answer your other questions, I made quite a few calls to Canada from the states using Talkatone so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work while in Canada.

You probably have a California area code because when you sign up for Google Voice it just shows you the phone numbers available at that time. Same thing happened to me (live on the east coast) and I have an Arizona area code as that was one of the only ones available when I signed up.

As far as rates go, it follows the Google Voice structure so calls/texts to US/Canada are free and you have to add money to your Google Voice account to contact numbers internationally (I believe). Otherwise Talkatone is free. You can pay a monthly fee for "better call quality" and removing the ads. Not required though.

Thanks for that information. So if i want to send a text message to someone in the usa, i type the number then type send sms right?

So when they receive my text message, it would show my google voice number texting them?

Also, since im in canada, is it possible for them to send me a text to start a conversation or do i always have to send a text to them first and then they send me text back?

Will the text show their cell phone number?

And one other question. Can you send a text to someone just using google voice on the laptop or itouch without talkatone? Because i tried to do this last time and it didn't work.

Also, does google voice work on the itouch to make phone calls if its not plugged into the computer? Because last time i logged into my gmail in my itouch... i did not see that phone icon in my gmail in the left side where i click on it so i make phone call like when im on the laptop. Someone in another forum mentioned you need to have the itouch connected to the computer? Do you know if this is true or not?

I assume this isn't true for talkatone right?

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for that information. So if i want to send a text message to someone in the usa, i type the number then type send sms right?

So when they receive my text message, it would show my google voice number texting them?

Also, since im in canada, is it possible for them to send me a text to start a conversation or do i always have to send a text to them first and then they send me text back?

Will the text show their cell phone number?

And one other question. Can you send a text to someone just using google voice on the laptop or itouch without talkatone? Because i tried to do this last time and it didn't work.

Also, does google voice work on the itouch to make phone calls if its not plugged into the computer? Because last time i logged into my gmail in my itouch... i did not see that phone icon in my gmail in the left side where i click on it so i make phone call like when im on the laptop. Someone in another forum mentioned you need to have the itouch connected to the computer? Do you know if this is true or not?

I assume this isn't true for talkatone right?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, they can send you a text and it will show their number
4. I've never attempted to send a text while in Canada via the Google Voice website/app, so I cannot answer this. Talkatone works fine though.
5. I think you are confused about how Google Voice works. If you have an iPhone and use the Google Voice app, it functions in a similar fashion to how you describe. However, since the iPod touch is not a phone, this functionality doesn't exist. Google Voice isn't a VoIP. That is why you need another app (like Talkatone) to act as the VoIP service. It just so happens Talkatone uses your Google Voice information. Connecting your iPod touch to a computer will not add any functionality to allow you to make phone calls. To clarify the point, using Gmail to make phone calls is just a browser thing. Calling via Gmail won't work on anything other than a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.