Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Holy cow was that an understatement.

I'm sitting at 8h 56m usage, 2d 3h standby and just hit 50% on my battery. It was plugged into my computer for approx 10mins doing a sync, that's it. Went up 1%.

So yeah, I'm pretty damn impressed!

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Holy cow was that an understatement.

I'm sitting at 8h 56m usage, 2d 3h standby and just hit 50% on my battery. It was plugged into my computer for approx 10mins doing a sync, that's it. Went up 1%.

So yeah, I'm pretty damn impressed!

same here. battery life is amazing!!

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Yeah, battery life is excellent for me. Of course, my iPad Air is from the "good battery" lot number/factory.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Yeah battery life is absolutely fantastic. I topped it off straight out of the box on Friday. I just charged it earlier today at 23%, run time was 13.5 hours and over 3 days standby with 23% left. My plan was to trade my Mini for the retina Mini, but I'm going to keep it. In fact I bought another Mini from GameStop for $168 so no one but me in this household will use my Air :D

Great deal on the preowned Mini. It was $225 plus I bought their mystery coupon which gave another 25% off. Looks like new and original Apple warranty until 8/2014.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pretty impressive given the reduction in battery capacity. Much better than the iPad 3 although it might be a wee bit shorter compared to the 4.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Third day with my new iPad Air cellular version

Right now I'm at 47% battery left.

Usage is 9 hrs 45 min. Standby is 1 day 12 hours.

Never had such a good battery in an iPad!

Edit: I've never had this good battery life from ANY Apple product I've ever owned.

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Coming from the Mini the battery is incredible. I would usually get around 8 hours on the mini, with the Air I get around 12-13. To be honest I am expecting many people to be disappointed in the Retina Mini's battery life, as it is one thing many people haven't considered in switching to the smaller size.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Coming from the Mini the battery is incredible. I would usually get around 8 hours on the mini, with the Air I get around 12-13. To be honest I am expecting many people to be disappointed in the Retina Mini's battery life, as it is one thing many people haven't considered in switching to the smaller size.
I realize but I don't care. I'm expecting the retina Mini to have similar battery life to the iPad 3. As long as it can manage that, I won't be disappointed. :)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I'm down 10% after an hour of active use but I keep it at highest brightness.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I realize but I don't care. I'm expecting the retina Mini to have similar battery life to the iPad 3. As long as it can manage that, I won't be disappointed. :)

Oh it won't be bad, surely close to 8-9 hours, but there are just crazy people on here that can't see any reason for the Air to exist. But they are completely different devices in terms of how you use them.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida

That's why the new Mini is slightly thicker than the previous version, to incorporate a slightly larger battery to make up for the retina display.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh it won't be bad, surely close to 8-9 hours, but there are just crazy people on here that can't see any reason for the Air to exist. But they are completely different devices in terms of how you use them.
In fairness, there are plenty of crazy people on here, too, that can't see any reason for the Mini to exist. :rolleyes:

That said, I'm not getting the Air this year but I expect I'll buy the next iterations of both Air and Mini next year (different use-case).

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
ru4yhu5y.jpg

Pretty strong.

Aetherhole

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Tustin, CA
2 days, 1 hour of standby

7 hours, 21 minutes of usage

30% still to go!

Mostly on wifi, but some on LTE.

my 7+ hours of usage consisted mostly of graphics-intensive gaming, like Asphalt 8, Infinity Blade 3, Nova 3.

VERY impressed with the battery life. A very nice change coming back to iOS after using the Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus 7 is a fantastic device, but run the same graphics-intensive games and you're going to run out in just a few hours.

iDevices consistently have better "usable" battery-life. I'm not going to be watching a video for 10 hours straight, I'm going to be doing lots of different things, and the iPads have always met my expectations or exceeded it. The iPad Air definitely has exceeded my battery life expectation thus far.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I see better battery life as well. I also really like how fast it charges. Much faster than the iPad 3.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
2 days, 1 hour of standby

7 hours, 21 minutes of usage

30% still to go!

Mostly on wifi, but some on LTE.

my 7+ hours of usage consisted mostly of graphics-intensive gaming, like Asphalt 8, Infinity Blade 3, Nova 3.

VERY impressed with the battery life. A very nice change coming back to iOS after using the Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus 7 is a fantastic device, but run the same graphics-intensive games and you're going to run out in just a few hours.

iDevices consistently have better "usable" battery-life. I'm not going to be watching a video for 10 hours straight, I'm going to be doing lots of different things, and the iPads have always met my expectations or exceeded it. The iPad Air definitely has exceeded my battery life expectation thus far.

Battery life alone should cover at least $100 of the $399 iPad Mini vs. $229 Nexus 7 debate. I've been able to squeeze just 8 hours max out of my Nexus 7 and that was just doing light browsing and some Plants vs. Zombies 2. If I did that on an iPad it would probably last 16 hours.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
12 hours usage, 3 days standby - at 48% and going.

Pretty sweet!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Battery is incredible..

Ditto. I always felt the battery performance of my iPad 2 was damned good but the Air is out of control! I joked in another thread that my Air doesnt even use the battery - it uses the heat from my hands and breath to operate itself.... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.