Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Ordered my rMBP yesterday. Standard 15" 2.3/750M/512GB. Was surprised when it was dispatched today as it was in Shanghai. I figured ordering one that wasn't BTO would allow me to get it sooner from stock here in the UK? Showing the delivery time as next Monday (11th). Did anyone get their's sooner? Would love to have the weekend to play around on this as it's must first Mac!
The excitement is killing me, been waiting since WWDC in June, will be using it for programming and work at university, will also be using it for a bit of gaming. Just the whole package hugely appeals to me.
Been building PC's for years, so most of my friends and family (I like many of you are the go to go guy for everyone and their dog when their computers go wrong or iPhones or consoles etc) they are shocked that I'm getting a mac.

I'm liking the look of OSX Mavericks as after the stunt M$ pulled with that horrific W8 I have no interest in continuing to support them. I'll either dual or triple boot OSX, W7 x64 and Backtrack - anyone know how easy or difficult it is to boot from USB on the mac? In windows it's as simple as changing the boot order in the BIOS - which of course Mac's don't have (think it's great, BIOS is such an out of date legacy tech that for some reason refuses to die).

Yeh so in summary, I'm ultra excited. This and the PS4 will be this months toys. Plus my contract it up on my 4S in December so will be going for the iPhone 5S :).

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Ordered my rMBP yesterday. Standard 15" 2.3/750M/512GB. Was surprised when it was dispatched today as it was in Shanghai. I figured ordering one that wasn't BTO would allow me to get it sooner from stock here in the UK? Showing the delivery time as next Monday (11th). Did anyone get their's sooner? Would love to have the weekend to play around on this as it's must first Mac!
The excitement is killing me, been waiting since WWDC in June, will be using it for programming and work at university, will also be using it for a bit of gaming. Just the whole package hugely appeals to me.
Been building PC's for years, so most of my friends and family (I like many of you are the go to go guy for everyone and their dog when their computers go wrong or iPhones or consoles etc) they are shocked that I'm getting a mac.

I'm liking the look of OSX Mavericks as after the stunt M$ pulled with that horrific W8 I have no interest in continuing to support them. I'll either dual or triple boot OSX, W7 x64 and Backtrack - anyone know how easy or difficult it is to boot from USB on the mac? In windows it's as simple as changing the boot order in the BIOS - which of course Mac's don't have (think it's great, BIOS is such an out of date legacy tech that for some reason refuses to die).

Yeh so in summary, I'm ultra excited. This and the PS4 will be this months toys. Plus my contract it up on my 4S in December so will be going for the iPhone 5S :).

Not really, it really just depends on their stock levels, if you wanted one soon should have tried to locate one in store... no stock? I think for macs unlike iphones and ipads they dont estimate delivery times, they just tell you it would be shipped out next day.. ship from where is another matter....sneaky ppl

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Not really, it really just depends on their stock levels, if you wanted one soon should have tried to locate one in store... no stock? I think for macs unlike iphones and ipads they dont estimate delivery times, they just tell you it would be shipped out next day.. ship from where is another matter....sneaky ppl

Couldn't get it in store, as the 3 year free warranty for students only applies when you order online or over the phone. Really sweetened the deal for me.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Couldn't get it in store, as the 3 year free warranty for students only applies when you order online or over the phone. Really sweetened the deal for me.

oh really great so you didnt have to buy applecare good for you :) was gonna say, for rmbp u need applecare if that thing craps out...they prob just swap it out... with a new one..

enjoy it :) I got my first mac in 2008 and I am on my 4th one I think.. recently got the appletv and TB display. am having tons of fun :) having a 27" display on ur desk that also acts as a hub is def worth the money :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
oh really great so you didnt have to buy applecare good for you :) was gonna say, for rmbp u need applecare if that thing craps out...they prob just swap it out... with a new one..

enjoy it :) I got my first mac in 2008 and I am on my 4th one I think.. recently got the appletv and TB display. am having tons of fun :) having a 27" display on ur desk that also acts as a hub is def worth the money :)

Yeh I figured it was about time, M$ has neglected its core user base and it is sorely regretting it now. Although Apple's main priority are iPhones and iPads - which is perfectly fine, I have had a 3GS and a 4S (5S next month) and obviously the constitutes the bulk of its revenue - it's Mac lineup is stronger and doing better than ever, so why wouldn't they continue to support it? They make money from both. Not too mention Apple themselves use Mac's.
Plus many of the innovations on iOS (power saving, notifications, apps etc) are brought into OSX.
I believe the two compliment each other very well, plus iPhones and iPads are a gateway drug. I myself am a prime example of this, my father as well is planning on getting an iMac. My university is a sea of MacBooks (mainly Airs). Not too sound arrogant but the future middle classes who are currently at uni and using Macs will likely be buying many more for themselves and their businesses in the future. So student discounts and warrantys are a great way to securw your future, well healed clientele.

Yeh I'm interested in getting a Thunderbolt Display, but I'll wait for Apple to release their inevitable 4K (maybe even 5760x 3600) IGZO 32" Thunderbolt Display (just a rebranded version of Sharp's 4K IGZO display. Hopefully they can keep the prices on the restrained side of things. An Apple TV interests me as using my TV as a second display would be handy. But all in good time :). Yeh I would never have left this thing without a warranty, just too valuable, just fortunate it comes free for us 'poor' students lol.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Haha yeah but display wise I doubt apple will come up with a 4k display anytime soon if they did it would be like £2000 pounds or something. I was thinking about that but then I figured they probably won't so I went ahead and bought one refurb which was a good-ish deal.

My mbp only has one tb port so I had to get the abt so I can watch the tv torrents I download.... Before the TB display the port was occupied by a minidisplay to hdmi cable but I like this now with plex I can scroll through all the stuff n pause etc without the mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.