Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esbx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Hi
After using my brand new 13" rMBP i've noticed that the battery life is nowhere near the advertised 8 hours.

Specs:
i7 2.8 ghz
512GB ssd
8gb ram

For example, Skype will completely drain my battery in 2 hours or so.
Just check out the absurd amount of power it uses.
http://imgur.com/DF7HPpL
(Pardon the language, but you get the idea)

Overall the battery life is decent.
Running heavier apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator and watching movies in VLC will also drain the battery quite fast, but that's to be expected i guess.

As it is right now, i get about the same battery life on this brand new 2013 rMBP, as i do on my 2 year old Early 2011 MBP.

With the new Haswell processor, a brand new Macbook Pro running a brand new OS, it's very disappointing to get these results.

Is it possible that my battery is faulty?
Seing as this is a BTO model sent from China, how would i go about replacing said battery if it is faulty?

All help appreciated.
Thanks

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Take it to an apple store.

Hi
After using my brand new 13" rMBP i've noticed that the battery life is nowhere near the advertised 8 hours.

Specs:
i7 2.8 ghz
512GB ssd
8gb ram

For example, Skype will completely drain my battery in 2 hours or so.
Just check out the absurd amount of power it uses.
http://imgur.com/DF7HPpL
(Pardon the language, but you get the idea)

Overall the battery life is decent.
Running heavier apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator and watching movies in VLC will also drain the battery quite fast, but that's to be expected i guess.

As it is right now, i get about the same battery life on this brand new 2013 rMBP, as i do on my 2 year old Early 2011 MBP.

With the new Haswell processor, a brand new Macbook Pro running a brand new OS, it's very disappointing to get these results.

Is it possible that my battery is faulty?
Seing as this is a BTO model sent from China, how would i go about replacing said battery if it is faulty?

All help appreciated.
Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple's battery life estimates are based on very specific conditions which do not include running apps such as Skype. It is not realistic to expect the same battery life when running resource-intensive apps..

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

esbx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Take it to an apple store.

No Apple store nearby, only resellers :/

----------

Apple's battery life estimates are based on very specific conditions which do not include running apps such as Skype. It is not realistic to expect the same battery life when running resource-intensive apps..

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Thank you, i'll have a look.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Hi Esbx,
Wondering what sort of battery life in regular use you're seeing now that you've been using the rmbp13 for months now?
Thanks!

mordster

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
macbook pro late 2013 drains in 3 hours just on Google Chrome

Why is the battery draining so much?
I took some screen shots of activity monitor.
Can any one make sense of this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.24.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.24.46 PM.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.25.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.25.58 PM.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.26.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.26.06 PM.png
    686.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.27.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.27.23 PM.png
    669.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    675.1 KB · Views: 128

mordster

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
That's strange because I ran chrome on my old white 2009 MacBook and the battery life on it was way better than my new MacBook. Could it be that it has most storage dedicated to boot camp and not much in OS X ? Also It does get pretty hot underneath just when surfing the web.
Are there any other fast browsers apart from safari that don't eat into battery use ?

theromz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Safari is way faster, more secure and power efficient.

[Caution Needed]

Safari is a bit faster in some benchmarks but the difference isn't much and I have never read anything about it being more secure, given the recent SSL bugs that where only present on Apples own apps I wouldn't be to sure. It does use less power however but again I have tested both and the difference is maybe 20mins on days that I only web browser, e.g. I can get 9 hours of just web browsing on chrome and 9:20 hours on Safari.

mordster

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
9 hrs is incredible! Do you have the energy savers on ? eg. Disable blue tooth etc. How can I know if mines a hardware or software issue? Would the large amount of space dedicated to Bootcamp have anything to do with it even though I have booted up and using OSX and Bootcamp isn't running?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
[Caution Needed]

Safari is a bit faster in some benchmarks but the difference isn't much and I have never read anything about it being more secure, given the recent SSL bugs that where only present on Apples own apps I wouldn't be to sure. It does use less power however but again I have tested both and the difference is maybe 20mins on days that I only web browser, e.g. I can get 9 hours of just web browsing on chrome and 9:20 hours on Safari.

The SSL bugs were fixed in 10.9.2 already.

theromz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I remembered in previous versions of Chrome, you could access saved passwords without having an admin password. Safari has always required an admin passwords to view saved passwords.

Very true, and somehow Chrome said it was by design since someone could easily find the file, I believe it is fixed now. But that isn't really a security flaw and more just stupid design choices.

But it doesn't prove 1 browser is more secure then the other, unless we have some raw figures proving that.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I have the same laptop and get 5h-5.5h and I don't use Netflix.. I open iTunes surf a few web site (flash is disabled via browser plugin). No video download at all.

Battery reports 2 full cycle, it's a refurbished I got last friday.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I have the same laptop and get 5h-5.5h and I don't use Netflix.. I open iTunes surf a few web site (flash is disabled via browser plugin). No video download at all.

what screenbrightness are you on?
What browser are you using?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
what screenbrightness are you on?
What browser are you using?

safari, chrome/firefox are not installed. Level 4 brightness (4 squares) & keyboard backlight disabled.

Itunes was not playing, it was downloading 5 albums.

Open programs: itunes, mail, safari (with Click2Flash and adblocker ) and I was on the apple home page.

It went from 100% to 93% in 30 minutes. No USB/SD card were plugged and no external devices.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
safari, chrome/firefox are not installed. Level 4 brightness (4 squares) & keyboard backlight disabled.

Itunes was not playing, it was downloading 5 albums.

Open programs: itunes, mail, safari (with Click2Flash and adblocker ) and I was on the apple home page.

It went from 100% to 93% in 30 minutes. No USB/SD card were plugged and no external devices.
check the battery health and max charge in the system report.
:apple: will give you a replacement if your batterylife is really that bad.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
check the battery health and max charge in the system report.
:apple: will give you a replacement if your batterylife is really that bad.

I included a screenshot of what I have

Attachments

• power.png
    power.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 84

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
seems to be getting better now

Code:
BATTERY LIFE

** wifi on **
11:45  91% 
11:53  89% (7h15m left)
12:19 83% (6h51m left )
** turn off wifi **
CODA / MYSQL / APACHE / PHP / LOCAL SAFARI
12:53: 76% (7:51m left)

let's wait and see

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

When you first get a computer, or first install a new OS on one, there are many "set-up" processes such as indexing your drive that can consume system resources and impact battery life. Give it a few days to settle into normal operation and see what it looks like then.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
When you first get a computer, or first install a new OS on one, there are many "set-up" processes such as indexing your drive that can consume system resources and impact battery life. Give it a few days to settle into normal operation and see what it looks like then.

thanks but I read that article.. Indexing was also not running when I initially posted. I just did a work session on it (without wifi) and it went well. I monitored the battery for 90 minutes and ending up with a remaining time higher than when I started. So the conclusion is not to check at a specific time but to monitor it over a period and keep track. The Energy tab in Activity monitor was a great resource.

I won't be checking it every day now that it seems to be normal. I will use it for Lightroom, Logic and Finalcut but I expected good battery life for web development, which I manage to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.