Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
So I've had a 64gb mini before and I filled it pretty much with apps, since I dont watch movies or listen to music on the Ipad.

Now I had lots of useless apps and alot I wouldnt be able to have half of them if my Ipad wasn't jailbroken. Im an avid gamer though

With that said, what do you think?

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
So I've had a 64gb mini before and I filled it pretty much with apps, since I dont watch movies or listen to music on the Ipad.

Now I had lots of useless apps and alot I wouldnt be able to have half of them if my Ipad wasn't jailbroken. Im an avid gamer though

if you can afford the 64 then why not just go ahead and get it? especially since you've had a 64gb mini before. you'll regret not having the extra space.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I've always found 32GB the right size for almost all my mobile devices but its something you need to judge for yourself. If most of the space is apps and you need 64 you probably have a lot of apps loaded up that you aren't even using. Its so easy to add and remove them as you need.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States

I would get a 32 if you are only using apps/games. If majority of your apps are JB apps, you cannot place them on a "fresh" iPad anyway. Therefore, those extra GB's in a 64GB iPad would be wasted. I would also go throguh and delete all your unused apps. That will save ton's of space I am sure. What's the point of wasting space with unused apps? I don't get it but you have 14 days to return your iPad if it is too small for your needs. Start with 32, load your stuff, and if it is too small just exchange it.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Yes im only going to use productivity apps and games.

the biggesy reason i will probably go for the 32gb instead is because it will probably be easier to sell it when the ipad air 2 comes out

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
From what I know and what Ive read from other users is:

1) If you like lots of songs available on your device along with planty of TV shows & films - the 64GB is the easy call.

2) If you tend to use the iPad more to just stream, surf, play a few games, the 32GB is more than enough.

Some poeple are in between and that makes it tougher. I will say though that Ive never heard anyone say: Damn, I have too much storage on my iPad. Its always the other way around.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
This has to be one of the most asked questions here. I am thinking at least 30 new posts in the past week, along with lots of responses.

Bottom line - most people suggest the larger size. And many were honest and said they had no idea what to suggest since they do not know what the user actually needs/will use or can afford.

But, to answer, I go for larger.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I will also probably be able to sell the 32gb version easier than the 64 right?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I will also probably be able to sell the 32gb version easier than the 64 right?

I think you will find the higher capacity ones hold their value better, as there are far more lower capacity ones for sale / sold.

But at the end of the day buy what u can afford

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I have 64gb Ipad 2 and over the years I put lots of music, movies, pictures, apps, pdf, the works… I frequently remove stuff that I don't use often to make room for new stuff "just in case", and with that practice i find myself hovering around 25gb, and so that extra $100 that I had spent on the 64gb capacity was just sitting there unused over the years.
well, I did occasionally brag to other people that I have a 64gb iPad just to feel superior because I can afford the highest capacity, but that's about it.
it was in a sense wasteful since I don't find myself making full use of it as often as I like.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think you will find the higher capacity ones hold their value better, as there are far more lower capacity ones for sale / sold.

But at the end of the day buy what u can afford
Nope. You get maybe $20-30 extra for every $100 upgrade in capacity when you're selling. As a percentage of purchase cost, you get better resale value with lower capacity models. Alas, I usually go for highest capacity since I tend to fill them up quite quickly.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've had 64GB for years and initially bought the 64GB Air. After the weekend I went back and exchanged for the 128GB. Wow, it is very nice to be able to sync that much more stuff. Many cool games are over 1GB. I can carry my entire photo collection and 2-3 seasons of my favorite TV shows, and I'm at 105GB. You only really get 115GB. Very convenient. Get as much as you can afford. You can never have too much storage on these things! :D

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Get as much as you can afford. You can never have too much storage on these things! :D
This is the case with me. Seriously don't get why a bunch of folks lambasted the Woz for wanting a 256GB iPad. I'd like one of those, too, so I'm praying they'll finally go to 32GB base next year and introduce a 256GB model. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.