Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ry23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
So me and my roommate just got I to a bit of an argument (not a big one... Or serious). His room is on the side of the house with the sun in the morning. Me on the otherhand, I get shade and freezing temps. I barely got out of bed (cuz it's so damn cold) and turned the heater on and came back to bed. Next thing I kno, he's turning the heater off!! So I jump am and say, bro! Do you not have any idea how cold it is?!?!?! And he's like no, it's warm on my end. And I said ok well it's like 20 degrees in my room!

I won't continue with the back and forth of our convo.. But what it comes down to is that I would love to kno how cold it ACTUALLY is in my room. I tried to check out a few thermometer apps that claim to actually read the temp. However, the ONLY thing I could find were apps that "read" just the outside air based off location. That is not what I would like lol!

So my question is, does anybody know of an app that can actually read the air temp. of where your phone is located?

Thanks! :)

P.s. If there isn't, would anybody want to team up to try to make something like that happen? Or is it even possible with the hardware that is on the phone?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
64gb iPhone 5S

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Or is it even possible with the hardware that is on the phone?
I think that's it right there. To read the temp, you'd need an instrument that is capable of that and AFAIK the iPhone does not come with that kind of device inside.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So me and my roommate just got I to a bit of an argument (not a big one... Or serious). His room is on the side of the house with the sun in the morning. Me on the otherhand, I get shade and freezing temps. I barely got out of bed (cuz it's so damn cold) and turned the heater on and came back to bed. Next thing I kno, he's turning the heater off!! So I jump am and say, bro! Do you not have any idea how cold it is?!?!?! And he's like no, it's warm on my end. And I said ok well it's like 20 degrees in my room!

I won't continue with the back and forth of our convo.. But what it comes down to is that I would love to kno how cold it ACTUALLY is in my room. I tried to check out a few thermometer apps that claim to actually read the temp. However, the ONLY thing I could find were apps that "read" just the outside air based off location. That is not what I would like lol!

So my question is, does anybody know of an app that can actually read the air temp. of where your phone is located?

Thanks! :)

P.s. If there isn't, would anybody want to team up to try to make something like that happen? Or is it even possible with the hardware that is on the phone?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
64gb iPhone 5S

Not possible with the hardware on the phone.

Why don't you run to Wal-Mart or something and by a cheap $2 thermometer?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It's called a thermostat, and no, the iPhone itself has no temperature sensor in it to use in the way you're describing.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Not really possible because the iPhone generates it's own heat and can't know the room temperature.

How about a room thermometer?

ry23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
I think that's it right there. To read the temp, you'd need an instrument that is capable of that and AFAIK the iPhone does not come with that kind of device inside.

Ya that's what I was really leaning towards lol!

Not possible with the hardware on the phone.

Why don't you run to Wal-Mart or something and by a cheap $2 thermometer?

Cuz it's soooo damn cold!! :p lol just kidding.. It's just not that big of a deal lol cuz by the time I actually get there I'll have warmed up. And it was just more of an overall question of a possible function. :) not that I can't live without knowing the temperature of my room.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to by an accessory. Thermodo. Lapka.

For sure! Ya, I came across that Lapka one in my searches. It looked nice! Thanks for that :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What about one of those fish tank thermometers that you put on the glass. Put it on your window (assuming your room has a window). ;)

ry23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
What about one of those fish tank thermometers that you put on the glass. Put it on your window (assuming your room has a window). ;)

Lol yes I have a window! But that's not a half bad idea lol cuz ya that's where all that coldness is comin from, even if it's closed.

But I actually do have one that would dip into the water, I wonder if it could read the air? Otherwise ill try it against the window! :)

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
You could also get a WiFi thermostat like the Nest or Radio Thermostat.
Not really what he's asking. Those would simply allow him to turn the thermostat on from his room, while his roommate has to get up to turn it off. So it turns the situation into an arms race. lol
Lol yes I have a window! But that's not a half bad idea lol cuz ya that's where all that coldness is comin from, even if it's closed.

But I actually do have one that would dip into the water, I wonder if it could read the air? Otherwise ill try it against the window! :)

If you put it on the window, it will be an inaccurate reading of the temperature in the room. It ought to work just "in the room" however. A basic thermometer is a basic thermometer. I think...

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
•

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,006

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Not really what he's asking. Those would simply allow him to turn the thermostat on from his room, while his roommate has to get up to turn it off. So it turns the situation into an arms race. lol

If you put it on the window, it will be an inaccurate reading of the temperature in the room. It ought to work just "in the room" however. A basic thermometer is a basic thermometer. I think...

It also shows the current room temperature, not much use in knowing unless you plan to do something about it.

Plus he's beat his roommate every time.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
It also shows the current room temperature, not much use in knowing unless you plan to do something about it.

Plus he's beat his roommate every time.

Sort of. If he puts it in his room. But traditionally, the thermostat is place in the "living room" of a residence. Yes, he'd beat his roommate, while he has one.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Slightly off topic but try adjusting the vents. Close his and any other room that's overly warm and obviously make sure yours are open. Check/replace the air filter too.

It's unlikely it's a 20 degree difference but it's not uncommon to have rooms with temps that vary enough to cause discomfort.

iPhone won't do what you need it too however you can pick up those cheap weather station (thermometer/psychrometer that sits on a dresser) at a hardware store.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Sounds like to me you just want another nifty app for your phone. Sorry, no external temp sensor on the phone.

What you need is some kind of circulation system, fans and what not... but if $2 Walmart is too much for you, am guessing this is just for throw-away post.

----------

Doesn't the Camera app detect heat temperature?

Would be nice but my guess, no.

It would have to go down the the infrared range.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Hey! Those new samsung phones (S4 and N3) have temperature sensors built in. Just saying...

You could also compare the air humidity if you like

spunkysmum

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Get a cheap digital desk clock with the temperature on it. I assume you have some sort of bedside table.

Your roommate wins. In any dispute about temperature the person who is too warm always wins because being too hot is way worse than being a little chilly. In particular, being baked by a blast of unwanted excessive indoor heating is much, much, much more uncomfortable than being cold. Get an electric blanket or heated mattress pad, put on a robe and slippers when you get up, or try turning the heat on just a little instead of cranking it up. Remember, you can always put more on but your roommate can only take so much off. If I was talking to him I'd tell him to start walking around naked to get the point across to you that it's not cool to crank the heat. :p

Anyway you already have the better end of the deal...sleeping in an underheated room is the best sleep there is. A cold room and a lot of blankets will get you deep, quality sleep like no pill-form sleep aid will.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Get a cheap digital desk clock with the temperature on it. I assume you have some sort of bedside table.

Your roommate wins. In any dispute about temperature the person who is too warm always wins because being too hot is way worse than being a little chilly. In particular, being baked by a blast of unwanted excessive indoor heating is much, much, much more uncomfortable than being cold. Get an electric blanket or heated mattress pad, put on a robe and slippers when you get up, or try turning the heat on just a little instead of cranking it up. Remember, you can always put more on but your roommate can only take so much off. If I was talking to him I'd tell him to start walking around naked to get the point across to you that it's not cool to crank the heat. :p

Anyway you already have the better end of the deal...sleeping in an underheated room is the best sleep there is. A cold room and a lot of blankets will get you deep, quality sleep like no pill-form sleep aid will.

are you kidding? or just not thinking?

Just as an FYI, while some of the information may still be pertinent, it is worth nothing that this thread is from NOVEMBER 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.