Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
My homeroom teacher's 14 inch G3 iBook's display has started displaying everything grainy. There are little dots everywhere on the display, and it is annoying. The head IT person at school is stumped. I am not sure of the exact verson of OS X, if it might be a software issue. Could it be a sign of logic board failure? Any help appreciated.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
d_and_n5000 said:
My homeroom teacher's 14 inch G3 iBook's display has started displaying everything grainy. There are little dots everywhere on the display, and it is annoying. The head IT person at school is stumped. I am not sure of the exact verson of OS X, if it might be a software issue. Could it be a sign of logic board failure? Any help appreciated.

1) Boot off a system install disk. If it still does it, it's not a software issue, unless perhaps it is corrupted PRAM/NVRAM (which can be fixed by "zapping"). If it doesn't do it, it's almost certainly a software issue.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by the dots... any chance of a photograph?

It does sound like it could be a logic board or connector issue to me, though.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
mkrishnan said:
1) Boot off a system install disk. If it still does it, it's not a software issue, unless perhaps it is corrupted PRAM/NVRAM (which can be fixed by "zapping"). If it doesn't do it, it's almost certainly a software issue.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by the dots... any chance of a photograph?

It does sound like it could be a logic board or connector issue to me, though.

i'll hafta negotiate that. I'm not sure. I'll ask about it tomorrow. I may just be able to take a pic, if I ask nicely. For the logic board issue, if it's there, she will be ticked. Her school life is on that thing. If the school winds up sending it in, I will be promoting backing up to everyone.

the dots are like 8-10 pixels clumped together, displaying a certain color, and the backlight is a little dark, but it may have been turned down.

how do you zap the PRAM and NVRAM?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, you can still backup her computer, can't you? If it's a school IT department, can't they just order a new computer, ethernet or FW over the data, and then worry about what to do with the old one?

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
We'll probably try fixing it first. We are very money conscious, so for now, I think we'll try to focus on getting the problem diagnosed, and possibly fixed.

EDIT: and if she does get her computer replaced, maybe they'll give it to me, because I really want one! I could fix the logic board if I really wanted to, if that's the issue.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
Sounds like it could possibly be the video card going. You could run the hardware test off the install disk to know for sure.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Sounds like a loose video connector. You have to crack it open and reseat the cable. Becareful of yanking the audio jacks out of the system board.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am 90% sure it is the logic board.

I have replaced 3 with the exact same problem on 12" iBook G3s. Get the data backed up as soon as possible.

Does the pixel issue get worse or better as you move the display back and forth (open and close the lid) ? It MAY be an issue with a pinched cable going through the hinge, however the logic board issue can also manifest itself by opening and closing the display, as it will flex (slightly) when you open and close the lid.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
dang. I'll take the digicam with me, I'll try to get a pic. Let's all hope its a simple fix, and if it is the logic board, it gets fixed without too much fuss, and is under the logic board program!

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Update-I got the pic, but is was kind of fuzzy(my fault, I don't have a steady hand:p ), and you can't tell. I didn't look as bad at 8 this morning, and didn't look bad a 2:30, either. It does look really bad, though, when displaying reds and greens. It also looks a bit worse when cycling backgrounds every 5 seconds(i showed her around System Prefs). Any help? I haven't had a chance to talk with the technology person:eek: , so I am not sure of the options for repairing. It iss now finer grain, but really very noticable. Thanks for all the help so far, it has been great.
d_and_n5000

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If it's the video connector, then 90% of the time, if you rotate the screen back and forth on the hinge, fairly rapidly, but not aggressively (don't break it, natch), the character of the static should change. If it doesn't change when you do that, I'd tend to doubt it's the cable, although it might happen that way.

Otherwise, have to try the other things we've listed above...like booting off a system disk, etc. Or else resign yourself to the high likelihood that it's a logic board issue. :(

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
I think, just to be safe, I'll assume its logic board failure in the works, and do all the precautions as such. However, her daughter, who goes to the same school, said that she was playing a game(presumably CD) and it looked fine, although she herself admitted she didn't have a bloody clue what I was talking about. So, until we know better, the server will be her best friend if I have a say in it!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
d_and_n5000 said:
I think, just to be safe, I'll assume its logic board failure in the works, and do all the precautions as such. However, her daughter, who goes to the same school, said that she was playing a game(presumably CD) and it looked fine, although she herself admitted she didn't have a bloody clue what I was talking about. So, until we know better, the server will be her best friend if I have a say in it!

That is a good practice period, especially with portable computers such as an iBook. Who is to say when or if it will be stolen, dropped, spilled upon, and many other catastrophic issues.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
840quadra said:
That is a good practice period, especially with portable computers such as an iBook. Who is to say when or if it will be stolen, dropped, spilled upon, and many other catastrophic issues.

If all of the teachers backed everything up like they should, we'd probably need a bigger hard drive for the server than what we've got, that's for sure!

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
I guess this has been solved already but...

did you check if the display was set to use millions, thousands, or 256. It can look pretty grainy, and when at thousands it's so subtle that you have to look twice and think "It wasn't always like that, right?"

Just making sure you went over that. I had the same problem and when i figured it out, I felt pretty stupid. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.