Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Hopefully this is the right sub-forum.

Anyhow, having watched both Dreaworks's Turbo & Pixar's Monster University, I think I noticed something going on between the two studios. There is one segment in each film which appears to be "having a go" at each others films.

In Turbo, at 46:57, the female slug Burn says to Turbo : "you're going to be my boyfriend", "I'm going to call you Boo" to which Turbo replies: "Boo? What does that even mean?"

In Monsters University, at 12:27, the first lesson day, there is a slug in the outer grounds whose response to the lesson bell was: "ooh man, I can't be late on the first day", and then is seen running at snail speed.

I've checked the trivia sections of both films on IMDB, but apparently no one has mentioned it (in which case, dibs).

I can't say I'm convinced of this being a mere coincidence, but ever since The Dark Knight Rises, I haven't really been allowed to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.02.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.02.30 AM.png
    445 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.03.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.03.09 AM.png
    441.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.07.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.07.06 AM.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.10.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.10.24 AM.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
One more thing.

Apparently, snails are trending this year.

Blue Sky's Epic, has prominently placed two bozo-attribute snail characters in the script. Could it be pun addressed at both the other studios?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.24.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.24.53 AM.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 128

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I think your really clutching at straws trying to turn that into a feud.....

maybe,

but some drama between the two studios has taken place in the past, with some top tier, key position executive leaving pixar and going to dreamworks, along with an under the belt treacherous blow.

can't remember any details. have to dive in the interweb

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
maybe,

but some drama between the two studios has taken place in the past, with some top tier, key position executive leaving pixar and going to dreamworks, along with an under the belt treacherous blow.

can't remember any details. have to dive in the interweb

I guess you're referring to Katzenberg (That's the K in Dreamworks SKG) leaving Disney to start Dreamworks with Spielberg and Geffen, shortly after which Dreamworks created a computer animated movie which had more than a passing resemblance with Pixar's movie (Bug's life vs. Antz).

According to Jobs' biography Katzenberg and Jobs had a huge row over this, as Jobs thought Pixar had pitched it's movie to Disney while Katzenberg was still at Disney...

So yes, Those two companies are known to not be on the best of terms. Nevertheless, I think you're "seeing indians behind every boulder".

RGDS,

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I guess you're referring to Katzenberg (That's the K in Dreamworks SKG) leaving Disney to start Dreamworks with Spielberg and Geffen, shortly after which Dreamworks created a computer animated movie which had more than a passing resemblance with Pixar's movie (Bug's life vs. Antz).

According to Jobs' biography Katzenberg and Jobs had a huge row over this, as Jobs thought Pixar had pitched it's movie to Disney while Katzenberg was still at Disney...

So yes, Those two companies are known to not be on the best of terms. Nevertheless, I think you're "seeing indians behind every boulder".

RGDS,

thanks for filling in the gaps, going through the bio was my next step (instead of googling).

in any case, saying "Boo makes no sense" as a name in a dreamworks picture is definitely not an accident.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Dreamworks churns out movies every year. So it is very likely that the reference is towards Pixar. But it can't be the other way because post-production for MU was (most likely) in 2011. Turbo took two and a half years to make, but they were probably still animating it all with no finalization of anything by then.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Dreamworks is what ever... The Turbo movie is just crap. They did great with Madagascar, Kunfu Panda, Over the Hedge and Shrek.

But they had their flops like Bee Movie, Shark Tales, Turbo and some others.

Still, they may tease each other but I haven't seen anything like that. Too expensive.

ExitToShell

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
You completely missed the real conspiracy theory; all Pixar movies take place in the exact same universe (tho at different times).

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
They're as good as each other but I find Dreamworks caters to the older age group better than Pixar does. Kung Fu Panda/Shrek vs Toy Story/Monsters inc, both of their biggest titles. Though I think Pixar fail rate is a bit lower than Dreamworks.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
They're as good as each other but I find Dreamworks caters to the older age group better than Pixar does. Kung Fu Panda/Shrek vs Toy Story/Monsters inc, both of their biggest titles. Though I think Pixar fail rate is a bit lower than Dreamworks.

I Agree

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
First of all, thanks to all Nay & Yay sayers for dropping a line!

So far, I haven't really been convinced by they Nay sayers shouting conspiracy theory except for what rei101 said cost wise. I haven't lost faith yet in the fact that these are definitely finds of carefully considered & placed "insults" between the two, either they're enemies, frienemies, or pen pals having a laugh with each other.

I have to admit that adding Epic into the mix convoluted my initial point, so please ignore that find altogether.

Jessica, while your point made me go on a look for production starting dates, as per wikipedia, Turbo has been "simmering" for more than five years before being put in production. So when it was finally green lit, I can imagine that the film industry is just like a small village where news travel faster than the wifi airwaves transmitting them.

Finally, some pondering chow :

What use to the totality of Turbo's story, or to that particular segment, was Burn's two-liner of making him her snail-boyfriend pet named Boo and Turbo's reaction to it?

Similar question applies to the slug in MU.
Out of all possible micro stories that they could concoct in a monster world, why would a seemingly non-monster, turbo-slow slug make the final cut?

ps
also thanks to esskay for the link

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dreamworks churns out movies every year. So it is very likely that the reference is towards Pixar. But it can't be the other way because post-production for MU was (most likely) in 2011. Turbo took two and a half years to make, but they were probably still animating it all with no finalization of anything by then.

Actually they both started around 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_University
On May 29, 2011, it was confirmed that the film would be a prequel and the title Monsters University was announced.
Release June 18, 2013

Turbo announced July 29, 2011
Release July 17, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_(film)

Seems that Dreamworks follows Pixar. It took them two months to decide what to produce in response to newest Pixar film.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
This is just an excuse to quote from films isnt it.

What is it with people quoting from films..... I've noticed a lot of american comedy relies on characters having film quote offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.