Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
In fact , it is not so easy for me to get a new Mac Air. I thought there is no problem for such a high-end product to use the Gigabit Ethernet LAN in my dormitory. It turns out I was wrong. I even didn't find a port to plug the LAN wire. Later I refer this to the seller and he offered me to buy their related product as the Air is a wireless-only machine, forcing users to find a Wi-Fi connection, even if there's a more stable wired network available. I would like to know except their offer, have any other better choice ?

But I doubt whether it will make a difference not use the Apple's own product? Is it reasonable for my worry? Or should I take some risks to have a cheaper try?:D

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Here are some USB to Ethernet adapter alternatives:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:usb ethernet adapter

If you want a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter, then the Apple one may be the only one available.

Apple has been dropping ethernet ports from their laptops for several years now. My rMBP does not have an Ethernet port.

Dormitories here have moved to wireless, don't think they provide wired hookups any more..

Last edited:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

If you want a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter, then the Apple one may be the only one available.

Apple has been dropping ethernet ports from their laptops for several years now. My rMBP does not have an Ethernet port.

Dormitories here have moved to wireless, don't think they provide wired hookups any more..

My last dorm has Ethernet that I used but that was only because my dorm housed the entire LAN setup for the building :D Needless to say when hooked up to Gigabit Ethernet I had no speed issues XD

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
the thunderbolt necessary?

As you say, I did not figure out what influence a thunderbolt will create. Is it mainly used to protect my MBA? I just doubt whether it is necessary. I hope who can help me explain it. By the way, If I can use Apple one together with non-mac notebook or other similar devices?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
It sucks, I know. The main reason there is no Pad or smartphone in the house. If they come with UTP connector, I buy one :)
Especially if it charges using POE.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
As you say, I did not figure out what influence a thunderbolt will create. Is it mainly used to protect my MBA? I just doubt whether it is necessary. I hope who can help me explain it. By the way, If I can use Apple one together with non-mac notebook or other similar devices?

No one really knows what goes into the Apple decisions about building their products. Thunderbolt makes a lot of technical sense, however. Its native to the processor bus so here are no translations to slow you down, so it makes sense as a common way to get things in and out of a computer.

When you need to move data in and out of the Mac Laptop, you need some kind of interface to the world. Apple builds into their laptops wireless (Wifi and Bluetooth), USB, and Thunderbolt. Only a few models also have an ethernet port.

If you need to interface to and ethernet cable, then some kind of adapter is needed. The most cost effective and best performing is the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. I dunno if another computer with thunderbolt can also use the apple device, but I doubt it.

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I can't agree with you more

No one really knows what goes into the Apple decisions about building their products. Thunderbolt makes a lot of technical sense, however. Its native to the processor bus so here are no translations to slow you down, so it makes sense as a common way to get things in and out of a computer.

When you need to move data in and out of the Mac Laptop, you need some kind of interface to the world. Apple builds into their laptops wireless (Wifi and Bluetooth), USB, and Thunderbolt. Only a few models also have an ethernet port.

If you need to interface to and ethernet cable, then some kind of adapter is needed. The most cost effective and best performing is the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. I dunno if another computer with thunderbolt can also use the apple device, but I doubt it.

I can't agree with your saying about Apple more. I am so admired towards the Apple 's spirit to insist launching its own gadgets matched with their product. But I am just a little bothered by its limits to other software or devices sometimes. Always find no solution with my often used gadgets. So frustrated ..:apple:

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I find no information about the the ThunderBolt Display used as the docking station.

Sorry, I could find no information about the the ThunderBolt Display used as the docking station. Is it possible? I have searched the similar item for a long time. I have gotten a cheap one to have a try before my ordered an apple gadget from my friend deliver to my house. But I don't know if it also works on my Mac Air or maybe the iPAD Air I take interested in recently. Please tell me some good news.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry, I could find no information about the the ThunderBolt Display used as the docking station. Is it possible? I have searched the similar item for a long time. I have gotten a cheap one to have a try before my ordered an apple gadget from my friend deliver to my house. But I don't know if it also works on my Mac Air or maybe the iPAD Air I take interested in recently. Please tell me some good news.

Yes that is exactly why Apple made the Thunderbolt Display. You just plug the Thunderbolt cable from the display into your Macbook Air and all video/audio/data is sent to the display. There is a long thread here showing how people have these setup.

It doesn't really do anything with the iPad Air though.

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks

Yes that is exactly why Apple made the Thunderbolt Display. You just plug the Thunderbolt cable from the display into your Macbook Air and all video/audio/data is sent to the display. There is a long thread here showing how people have these setup.

It doesn't really do anything with the iPad Air though.

Thanks ! I have gotten a basic knowing about what you said about the Thunderbolt function.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Last time I checked an Ethernet port was kind of large. Apple likes thin computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.