Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
so lets say my MBA is in the bedroom, and my iMac is in another room.

the iMac contains movie files in itunes. i would like to play the movie on my MBA in my bedroom.

they are on the same wifi network.

???

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Yes. Turn on Home Sharing and enter the same Apple ID into each. You can then share iTunes libraries.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
so lets say my MBA is in the bedroom, and my iMac is in another room.

the iMac contains movie files in itunes. i would like to play the movie on my MBA in my bedroom.

they are on the same wifi network.

???

For music, iTunes match is the way to go, but i don't believe they have that setup for movies.

you could always share the files btw macs. go to system prefs->sharing->and make sure "file sharing" is selected. then on your MBA find the location of your movie file on your iMac via your MBA's finder window.

if you have an hdtv in your bedroom then you should get an Apple TV. then its real easy to watch you movies via Airplay

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
For music, iTunes match is the way to go, but i don't believe they have that setup for movies.

you could always share the files btw macs. go to system prefs->sharing->and make sure "file sharing" is selected. then on your MBA find the location of your movie file on your iMac via your MBA's finder window.

if you have an hdtv in your bedroom then you should get an Apple TV. then its real easy to watch you movies via Airplay
All overkill for what rick snagwell asked for when Home Sharing works well.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Turning Home sharing on the iMac only should suffice if OP wants to play the movie on the MBA : the iMac iTunes Library will be accessible from the MBA.
Home Sharing requires setting up both Macs for it. Sharing the library on the local network is what you're thinking about and can have some issues with media that has DRM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.