Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
My seven year old son has been nagging about Skylanders for quite some time now and so I promised him he could have a PS3 for Christmas.
Of course, daddy wants some action as well. I particularly like fighting and racing games. I still have a PS2 (and a Wii for the kids) but that's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Now, stuff like SF4 Arcade and Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate are definite buys for me. As for racing, on the PS2 (and the PS1 before that), I've never really liked the Gran Turismo games. I like arcadey types of games where you can get right into the action.
So my question to you : what is/are the best arcade racing game(s) on the PS3 ? Except for Burnout, not too keen on that, have one of those on the PS2. Looking for something like Daytona USA or Need for Speed.
Important : the games HAS to have a hood view, I hate racing with the camera hovering behind the car.

Last edited:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
My seven year old son has been nagging about Skylanders for quite some time now and so I promised him he could have a PS3 for Christmas.
Of course, daddy wants some action as well. I particularly like fighting and racing games. I still have a PS2 (and a Wii for the kids) but that's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Now, stuff like SF4 Arcade and Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate are definite buys for me. As for racing, on the PS2 (and the PS1 before that), I've never really liked the Gran Turismo games. I like arcadey types of games where you can get right into the action.
So my question to you : what is/are the best arcade racing game(s) on the PS3 ? Except for Burnout, not too keen on that, have one of those on the PS2. Looking for something like Daytona USA or Need for Speed.
Important : the games HAS to have a hood view, I hate racing with the camera hovering behind the car.

Burnout paradise can be had cheap now, even with the addon island. Need For Speed Most Wanted is cheap and is basically Burnout Paradise under a new label. Both are good arcade style racers.

I see you said no to burnout but honestly I hated the PS2 versions and couldn't put down the PS3 "paradise" version.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Thx for the reply.
What I absolutely want is a hood view (or at least an interior view). Most reviews don't seem to talk about this, or it's not considered important. Best arcade racer for me is still Sega's Daytona on the Dreamcast/Saturn. Sega Rally is available for the PS3, one wonders why Sega never released another Daytona game on console after the Dreamcast's demise...

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
By the way, how's the arcade mode in Gran Turismo 5 ? It kinda sucks in GT4 on the PS2.
Is there a way to access all the cars and tracks in arcade mode in GT5 from the start ?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Skylanders is awesome. I enjoy that series way too much. Stick it on hard or hardcore mode and you have a genuine challenging game for adults too. Swap Force is the best Skylanders game yet. Seriously entertaining and I'm sure you will love playing it with your Son. The drop in and out for second player is excellent.

Though I've spent way too much money on it :O but feck it its great.

As for arcade racers well the new Need For Speed will be released shortly, and if you want real arcadey Mario kart style racer go for Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. It's an excellent arcade racer.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
As for arcade racers well the new Need For Speed will be released shortly, and if you want real arcadey Mario kart style racer go for Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. It's an excellent arcade racer.

Well, we've also got a Wii and we love playing Mario Kart on it. It is indeed a smashing game, but I'm looking for something more 'mature'.
As I said, I loved Daytona USA and Sega Rally and used to just adore the Ridge Racer games as well. Need for Speed Shift looks nice, though, as does Hot Pursuit but I'm told the NfS games don't feature a hood view.
I know, I'm picky, but I just hate playing a racing game with the camera floating behind me without the possibility to switch to an in-car or hood view...

And by the way, been reading up on Gran Turismo vs Forza. Seems that Forza is the more enjoyable game all round (especially Horizon) so there's a chance I might buy a 360 instead of the PS3. Streetfighter is apparently better on the 360 as well...
And I assume Skylanders is practically identical on both consoles.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well, we've also got a Wii and we love playing Mario Kart on it. It is indeed a smashing game, but I'm looking for something more 'mature'.
As I said, I loved Daytona USA and Sega Rally and used to just adore the Ridge Racer games as well. Need for Speed Shift looks nice, though, as does Hot Pursuit but I'm told the NfS games don't feature a hood view.
I know, I'm picky, but I just hate playing a racing game with the camera floating behind me without the possibility to switch to an in-car or hood view...

And by the way, been reading up on Gran Turismo vs Forza. Seems that Forza is the more enjoyable game all round (especially Horizon) so there's a chance I might buy a 360 instead of the PS3. Streetfighter is apparently better on the 360 as well...
And I assume Skylanders is practically identical on both consoles.

Yeah just skylanders is prettier this year on the PS3 / Xbox 360 & Wii U as it was built for them and then ported down to the Wii. In previous years it was built for the Wii and then ported 'up' to ps3 & xbox 360 making it not too different.

PS4 version is by all accounts very lush looking this year.

As for racing - the new need for speed will be very arcadey (Need For Speed Rivals) and yeah I can't really say which is better between Forza & GT as I avoid 'simulation' style racing games simply due to the ineptitude of my ability to play those style games. GT especially is very much more sim than flat out racing enjoyment for me.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
NfS: Shift (the first one) defiantly had a cockpit view, i rented that for a weekend... not to shabby ... great sound effects and helmet tilting
not sure about the second

also Grid 1 has cockpit view (they dropped it AFAIk for the second), just like the first 2 "Dirt" (not sure about the 3rd)

Split/Second: doesn't have 'real' cars or cockpit view(as far as i remember), but it's simply magnificent and very underrated... i bought it for 15 bucks and it's hilarious _and_ nerve wrecking
edit: just watch some youtube videos, it still looks top notch 3 years later

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Something else that has cropped up : online lag.
The PS3 seems to suffer from this quite often. Its network is free, but obviously comes at a cost.
Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I'm getting Hot Pursuit for sure. But in doubt about Shift 2 or Grid 2. Shift 2 has got Porsches in it so that's good :D
Unless you think Grid 2 is better, more arcadey and more fun ?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I've got my eye on a special PS3 package with two controllers and two games : The last of us and Uncharted 3.
I understand they're both smashing games and I've watched reviews and trailers on youtube.
Just one question : does it help when you've played Uncharted 1 & 2 or does Uncharted 3 stand on its own ?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I've got my eye on a special PS3 package with two controllers and two games : The last of us and Uncharted 3.
I understand they're both smashing games and I've watched reviews and trailers on youtube.
Just one question : does it help when you've played Uncharted 1 & 2 or does Uncharted 3 stand on its own ?

While it can certainly be played on its own, I would strongly recommend playing the other two first. They are very good games (IMO part 2 is the best), and you will have a better understanding and appreciation for the wonderful characters they have drawn.

I am sure Uncharted 1 & 2 can be bought for very little money these days.

(EDIT: Check amazon.co.uk, both games can be had for less than 15 pounds each)

Last edited:

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
If you didn't already know, Gran Turismo 6 is coming out on December 6th, which looks as if it might be an improvement. The new Need for Speed Rivals for PS3/4 looks great; if I were you I'd get it! :D

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
If you didn't already know, Gran Turismo 6 is coming out on December 6th, which looks as if it might be an improvement. The new Need for Speed Rivals for PS3/4 looks great; if I were you I'd get it! :D

Might take a look at NfS Rivals. Won't bother with GT6 or even GT5. I fired up GT4 on the old PS2 yesterday and it reminded me once again how much I dislike Gran Turismo. Don't like Tekken either, I guess, just like GT, it's too 'realistic'.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Right, it's decided.
Will be picking up the special PS3 pack with 2 controllers, The last of us and Uncharted 3 (500Gb version).
Next to that, of course a Skylanders Swapforce start pack, and for daddy Uncharted 1 & 2, SF4 Arcade, KoF XIII, Burnout Paradise (fired up Burnout revenge on the PS2 this weekend and had a blast) and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Rivals on PS3 seems to suffer from pop-up, cars appearing out of nowhere, and I could confirm this on youtube).
Can't open until Christmas, though...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Sounds like a solid package that will provide many months of good fun and entertainment! :)

Burnout Paradise is my only platinum trophy, that's how much I enjoyed it! (Far Cry 3 will be my second!)

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
This is a tough one:
the Skylanders game is obviously for my son. But we also have a girl who's the same age (twin sister).
Any good games that she could appreciate ? She likes Mario games and party games on the Wii. Could little big planet be something for her ?
I've read lots of reviews and it looks like it could be great fun, but I don't really get the game. Anyone ?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
This is a tough one:
the Skylanders game is obviously for my son. But we also have a girl who's the same age (twin sister).
Any good games that she could appreciate ? She likes Mario games and party games on the Wii. Could little big planet be something for her ?
I've read lots of reviews and it looks like it could be great fun, but I don't really get the game. Anyone ?

Little Big Planet is very cute, original, creative, and just plain good fun.

Also look into Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. About the best jump'n'run experience you will find on the PS3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.