Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Can a jail broken unlocked iphone 5 with ios6 use tethering on the 30$ t-mobile prepaid plan through walmart? It lists that tethering isn't available. Do they do something to service that affects tethering on jail broken phones? Here is the plan:

http://see.walmart.com/t-mobile/?povid=cat1105910-env542259-moduleA092613-lLinkLHNFeaturedBrands1TMobile

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I think they're really cracking down on non-approved tethering ever since the iPhone is now official on their network

I have a grandfathered data plan and I used the native tethering option for the longest time ever without being caught.

Some 2 weeks ago, I got a text message saying tethering has been blocked and ever since, I haven't been able to tether anymore

No one knows for sure how the carriers detect tethering but just changing the tethering APN isn't enough

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think they're really cracking down on non-approved tethering ever since the iPhone is now official on their network

I have a grandfathered data plan and I used the native tethering option for the longest time ever without being caught.

Some 2 weeks ago, I got a text message saying tethering has been blocked and ever since, I haven't been able to tether anymore

No one knows for sure how the carriers detect tethering but just changing the tethering APN isn't enough

Did you try installing tetherme, or mywi?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Tetheme enables the navite tethering option and then you can tether again.
Even when the carrier disables that feature like they did with you.

I can still turn on the native tethering option, it's when another device is using that Internet, it automatically redirects to the page saying to purchase hotspot

And since my data is grandfathered, there's no way to add hotspot even if i wanted to

I don't use hotspot that much, it's generally for friends when they want to search something off the web or use an app on their iPod touch that requires internet connection. So I decided to just leave the carrier update alone instead of removing it whenever it's force updated

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Did you try installing tetherme, or mywi?

I use tetherme nearly daily (just email and a little web browsing, not music or video downloading) on my 4s on Sprint with an unlimited plan. I have been using it for months without a noticd feom Sprint even though Sprint doesn't support tethering and the pre-jail broken phone lacked the hotspot option in settings. I'm hoping to continue using it after jail braking an iPhone 5 on t-mobile.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use tetherme nearly daily (just email and a little web browsing, not music or video downloading) on my 4s on Sprint with an unlimited plan. I have been using it for months without a noticd feom Sprint even though Sprint doesn't support tethering and the pre-jail broken phone lacked the hotspot option in settings. I'm hoping to continue using it after jail braking an iPhone 5 on t-mobile.
Sprint supports tethering. You can get a 1GB option on the new plans or a 5GB option.

For the iPhone Sprint has two tethering options. 2GB for $20 per month and 6GB for $50. I have the 2GB option and I use TetherMe with that. If Sprint bothers to check, I have a legitimate tether plan I pay for…

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sprint supports tethering. You can get a 1GB option on the new plans or a 5GB option.

For the iPhone Sprint has two tethering options. 2GB for $20 per month and 6GB for $50. I have the 2GB option and I use TetherMe with that. If Sprint bothers to check, I have a legitimate tether plan I pay for…

I'm just curious, if you have a tethering plan do you need to jail brake and install tetherme? When you added tethering to your plan did personal hotspot appear below Bluetooth in settings?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm just curious, if you have a tethering plan do you need to jail brake and install tetherme? When you added tethering to your plan did personal hotspot appear below Bluetooth in settings?
I added the 2GB option about a week or so after I got my iPhone 5. That was in September of 2012, so yes, it appeared once I added it. There was no jailbreak for iOS 6 at the time.

I installed Tetherme because I figured I could use it and with the fact that I had a legit tethering option I was already paying for, perhaps Sprint would not be watching me very closely.

It's all rather academic though because I haven't had any reason to tether yet so I've never even come close to 1GB, let alone two. The Phoenix market only got LTE in mid-August so any tethering I might have done before then would have been shooting myself in the foot at sub 0.5kbps 3G speeds.

However, the option is there should I need it.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

What device are you going to be tethering to?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Two phones: a used eBay t-mobile iphone 5 and a verizon 5s (if I can get one at the apple store) or I'll buy a t-mobile 5s from the apple website. Will either of these not work?

As long as you're tethering using the data APN and to mobile devices, it should be fine

You can always give one month of service for a try and see how it goes?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I can still turn on the native tethering option, it's when another device is using that Internet, it automatically redirects to the page saying to purchase hotspot

And since my data is grandfathered, there's no way to add hotspot even if i wanted to

I don't use hotspot that much, it's generally for friends when they want to search something off the web or use an app on their iPod touch that requires internet connection. So I decided to just leave the carrier update alone instead of removing it whenever it's force updated

Yes, I think tetherme will be able to bypass that restriction and make it look like the usage is coming from the phone itself. Not another device and you wont get that page redirect.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
What is the VPN option?

Just download Onavo or Hotspot Shield from the App Store, Follow the directions of installing it, then connect to it. Then go to the Settings App and look for Override Data Source, and just tap on "VPN" and there should be a blue arrow next to it.

It should be impossible for your carrier to know your tethering.

I haven't done this on a jailbroken iPhone in like 6 months. So some of the steps might be wrong but thats how I remember doing it.

Also I remember hotspot shield not working, if that happen try using Onavo.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hotspot shield requires a license after 7 days of trial usage as far as I'm aware of (speeds are pretty much the same you would have gotten without the VPN). The license fee is certainly cheaper than $20/month for a tethering feature though

I tried onavo once and it slows down your internet speed significantly! (It did for me anyways at the time)

You can give both a try and see how it goes

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Hotspot shield requires a license after 7 days of trial usage as far as I'm aware of (speeds are pretty much the same you would have gotten without the VPN). The license fee is certainly cheaper than $20/month for a tethering feature though

I tried onavo once and it slows down your internet speed significantly! (It did for me anyways at the time)

You can give both a try and see how it goes

Yeah, but I don't think OP is replacing his home internet.

When I did this I usually got close to whatever speed I had with the VPN off.

But yeah I didn't mind paying for the Hotspot Spotshield license

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.