Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam-

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hi,

I know there are 1billion threads about this, but I think that my example is slightly different from most. Basically my battery is terrible at the moment, today from full charge i got

USAGE: 3 hours 49 mins
STANDBY: 7hours 2 mins

I had been noticing my battery being short lived a lot lately, so for this day I:

bluetooth: OFF
Wifi (all day): OFF
autoupdates: OFF
location services: OFF
Email: Fetch manually
Airdrop : OFF
LTE: Don't have LTE contract
Brightness : around 75%

There are a few other things I turned off but i can't remember them!

I am a developer so I had the BETA until the GM, I then updated 7.0.1 etc in the usual way, i.e not Betas. I've done semi restores a couple of times (not complete wipes because i hate losing save files etc).

My question is: Does my battery Suck? Can I qualify for repair/replacement??

EDIT: I also sometimes use my iPad charger instead of iPhone charger, and I've had the phone for 6 months

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
High brightness is a major battery drainer. Do you really need it at 75% brightness? I keep my 5 turned down to about 20%. Outside I turn it up. But I don't use it much outside.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A few other ones to check in relation to battery (and iOS 7): background app refresh set to off, reduce motion set to on, apple diagnostics set to not send them to apple.

Try to be on the latest version (7.0.3) and see if you close off your applications yourself if that makes any difference.

As far as battery, you can try iBackupBot app (on Mac or PC) and see what your battery is like, as mentioned at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1665221/

B Luv

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
You're not alone. I have been experiencing the same problem since the 7.0.3 update and it seems to be affecting the iPhone 5. I would get same the usage time now even though I'm using the same usage habit I always have! I also notice it would skip percentages and die before it gets past 10%!

Adam-

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
So I made the adjustments that you guys suggested and got for following battery

USAGE: 4 hours 12 Mins
Standby Time: 9 Hours 28 Mins

So hardly any improvement, I had brightness at minimum, I also checked the battery health

CycleCount: 302
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1199
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 2
BatteryIsCharging: true
ExternalChargeCapable: true
ExternalConnected: true
FullyCharged: false
GasGaugeCapability: true

So my battery is around 78% of the capacity it was 8months ago. This doesn't really seem to account for 4 hours of use. Should I try a complete restore before go in to the store?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Your thread is just like many others on the forum. I can't see anything different ...

What I found with my iPhone 5 is that battery drain is strongly related to signal strength.
In my hometown, where signal strength is strong almost everywhere, I can reach 7-8 hrs, in the town where I live and work I barely reach 4-5 hrs.
My battery according with iBackupBot is 84% of original capacity (8 months old iPhone 5).

Switching off almost all the new features is just useless.
Signal strength is what makes the difference for me.

Adam-

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Your thread is just like many others on the forum. I can't see anything different ...

The reason I thought it was different was because I've gone through all the betas unto GM then onto public release without a clean install, As betas are generally unstable/power drain issues, I thought that it might of retained one of these when I went back onto public release.

Thank you for the info about signal strength, i'll see what it is like at work tomorrow, i think it drifts in and out of 3G but strength is quite high, it is central London after all!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The reason I thought it was different was because I've gone through all the betas unto GM then onto public release without a clean install, As betas are generally unstable/power drain issues, I thought that it might of retained one of these when I went back onto public release.

Thank you for the info about signal strength, i'll see what it is like at work tomorrow, i think it drifts in and out of 3G but strength is quite high, it is central London after all!

My problem is that exactly: switching between 3G and edge ... It drains the battery very fast.

gravity010

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I get the same exact case. I updated my iphone 5 and have done a complete restore as a new phone but still the battery life just lasts about 3-4 hours or so. When I was in ios 6, it still lasted me until 6-7 hours of usage but now it's just 3-4 hours. I use it the same exact amount of time. I wished there was a fix somehow for this. It kinda makes me want to have the new iphone 5s just because it lasts longer through the day than my iphone 5. Kinda sucks.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I get the same exact case. I updated my iphone 5 and have done a complete restore as a new phone but still the battery life just lasts about 3-4 hours or so. When I was in ios 6, it still lasted me until 6-7 hours of usage but now it's just 3-4 hours. I use it the same exact amount of time. I wished there was a fix somehow for this. It kinda makes me want to have the new iphone 5s just because it lasts longer through the day than my iphone 5. Kinda sucks.

I'm not sure a 5s would be any better ...

Bengy66

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
St. Louis, MO

What I found with my iPhone 5 is that battery drain is strongly related to signal strength.
In my hometown, where signal strength is strong almost everywhere, I can reach 7-8 hrs, in the town where I live and work I barely reach 4-5 hrs.
My battery according with iBackupBot is 84% of original capacity (8 months old iPhone 5).

Switching off almost all the new features is just useless.
Signal strength is what makes the difference for me.

Bingo.

Adam-

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
So I finally restored my phone with a clean instal, and it has worked like a charm! About getting around 6-7hours with everything back on and brightness back up at 75%, if anyone else has been having troubles and ran betas on their devices, I would recommend doing a clean install/clean restore. It's given me an extra 2-3 hours usage!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
So I finally restored my phone with a clean instal, and it has worked like a charm! About getting around 6-7hours with everything back on and brightness back up at 75%, if anyone else has been having troubles and ran betas on their devices, I would recommend doing a clean install/clean restore. It's given me an extra 2-3 hours usage!

Thanks for posting your solution. I was going to suggest opening an xcode console to see if you had any looping processes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.