Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theriotsmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I'm so confused. So I have a verizon ipad 3 that has been activated since I bought it. Bought the verizon ipad Air on launch day. I called Verizon to see if it was possible to cancel service on the old ipad and use the remaining data on the new one (since the data plan started the day after the launch). I know it's only $20, but if I save $20 and not have service on both, so much the better. The CSR asked for the MEID, put me on hold. Came back and asked for the IMEI, put me on hold. Came back and asked me where I bought the ipad, told her Best Buy. On hold again. She came back and told me that I had an AT&T ipad air, and they made that determination based on the MEID number. How bizarre is that? The carrier shown on the top left is Verizon, on the "about" screen, the network is listed as Verizon, and the Carrier is identified as "Verizon 15.5.1." She told me the only thing I could do was take it back to Best Buy and have them help me. UGHHHHH.

kendrabSLP

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I've been on the phone for over an hour and I'm having the same issues. I have provided the IMEI/MEID number to multiple reps and they keep telling me that their system doesn't recognize the number. They also keep asking if it is an actual Verizon iPad. I know mistakes happen, but it says clearly on the box/settings that it is a Verizon iPad!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Eitel

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
The new iPads use a SIM card, not the IMEI number of the device. When they ask give them the number on the verizon SIM card. That's all they need.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Why don't you just take the sim out of the 3 and put it in your air?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Either cut down the iPad3 SIM to fit the new one or go on their website and activate the device on your own with the new SIM card.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
There have been scattered reports of this issue with both Verizon and Sprint. Both of these carriers maintain databases of "approved" IMEIs---basically, of the devices that were sold as "for Verizon" or "for Sprint." It looks like a small number of devices aren't having their IMEIs added to the carrier's database properly.

This will eventually get sorted out on the production/carrier end, and the currently-affected devices might start working. However, I'd suggest simply exchanging your model for another Verizon iPad Air. The one you have is, in effect, defective.

As an aside, Verizon and Sprint really ought to get over themselves and just allow any iPad Air to activate on their network. If I bought an AT&T iPad, which has identical hardware to the Verizon iPad, why won't Verizon let me give them money to use it on their network?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As an aside, Verizon and Sprint really ought to get over themselves and just allow any iPad Air to activate on their network. If I bought an AT&T iPad, which has identical hardware to the Verizon iPad, why won't Verizon let me give them money to use it on their network?
So true. It's not like they're giving away their service for free. Does Apple give them a chunk of the sale proceeds for every Verizon/Sprint iPad sold? Somehow, I don't think so.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
So true. It's not like they're giving away their service for free. Does Apple give them a chunk of the sale proceeds for every Verizon/Sprint iPad sold? Somehow, I don't think so.

And the funny thing is, the one carrier that literally does give away service for free (T-Mobile) *does* allow you to use any compatible tablet.

kendrabSLP

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Verizon reps keep telling me that the issue will be cleared by Monday. I think they had to manually add the IMEI/MEID to their system.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
My Verizon iPad Air un-provisioned itself somehow. Suddenly after working fine it went to "no carrier". Initially it wanted me to setup the device just as I had when I first received it.

After doing that, it connected to Verizon on 3G and told me I was out of data (but I had 3.5GB left).

Their customer service walked me through the reprovision and it seems ok again.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
That's odd. There is a SIM card slot on my Verizion iPad 3. :eek:

Hold it upright so you're looking at the back. Look at the right edge toward the top and you'll see a pinhole and a slot that pushes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.