Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigjr88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
This is my current system and it's settings...

-Apple MacBook Pro 15inch (MacBookPro6,2)
-2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 (Dual Core - NOT THE QUAD)
-8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM (Maxed out)
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
-Intel HD Graphics 288MB (This is the onboard graphics and is only used when on battery power or whatever I'm doing doesn't require any real video power - I currently have it set to run the NVIDIA GeForece GT 330M all the time since I'm plugged in and hooked up to an external Monitor/46inch LCD Samsung TV via HDMI)

-Replaced Internal SuperDrive with a "Data Doubler" installing a 2nd Hard Drive. Config is listed below...
Drive 0 - 120GB SSD Drive (Intel 320 Series)
Drive 1 - 750GB Hybrid Drive (Seagate Momentus XT - 7200RPM - 32MB Cache, SATA 6.0Gb/s *Both drives are 6.0Gb/s but both SATA Ports on my MBP are 3.0Gb/s*

--Drive 0: 1 Partition - Mac OS X 10.9
--Drive 1: 3 Partitions
-1) 200GB - Bootcamp Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
-2) 120GB - SSD Backup (Backup using CCC) *Also bootable if need*
-3) 430GB - DATA - Holds the User Data folders from OS X (SSD DRIVE) and any other stuff that i keep on my MBP.

------
So that's my current hardware setup along with software setup - I know most of you will probably suggest booting into Windows 7/Bootcamp and game from there - Which I do but there are some games I have only for MAC OS X. * Also side note - I also run Parallels Desktop 8 allowing me to run the Bootcamp Partition at the same time as the Mac OS X which is not an imported VM - it's actually running from the Bootcamp Partition*

What I want to know - is if there is anyway of setting up an account or software on Mac OS X that will allow me to free up all resources except for the ones needed to game??? Like in Windows for gaming I make sure that it boots with the minimum needed - this way all resources are free for the game to use.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated...
As for the games - the min requirements and suggested doesn't matter for the most part - I am just looking for anyway to boot into Mac OS X with as many resources/memory free so that I when I play the game it's able to pull as much memory and resources needed. I've also installed these games on the SSD drive.

Thank you

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Memory does not matter. Your GPU is weak. That is all there is to it. There eis nothing you can do save for reducing the visual settings - and even that will be not enough for many games.

What games are you playing anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.