Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Hello all, I just sold my eMac at ebay. It's the first computer I've ever sold and I'm wondering what I should do with the hard drive. Should I format it or just leave it alone. There isn't any personal info there that I should worry about. Also, I would appreciate it if you can give any advice on packing and shipping. I will use UPS to ship it. Thanks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Do a Clean Installation but don't put in any registration information. Just stop the computer there and turn it off. When they boot it up they'll just put their info in and set it up as theirs.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Since there's nothing pesonal on there you're probably fine, but incase you wanted to wipe the Hard Disk, you put in the install dvd, and then select disk utility from the menu. From there you can erase a drive and under "options" (I think, maybe it's "security"), you can choose to 0 out the drive, and there are several versions of that. It'll take some time but you don't have to be standing there when it's happening. Just some info for you or anyone else.

ALvie

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2005
Not only should you do a clean install but you are supposed to send the OS software with the computer. That is only on a Mac on a PC format the drive and send it with Command Com installed only. No software.

ALvie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.