Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:05 AM   #1
GTAmissions1
macrumors newbie

iOS 7 for iPad 1st generation

My friend claims that he has iOS 7 on his iPad which was the first generation, but all the answers I get is that the max for the first-generation iPad is only up to iOS 5 and that is it because iOS 6 and higher require much specs to run efficiently.

I talked to another friend who knows everything Apple inside and out and he says that "my friend isn't telling me the truth because if it isn't jailbroken, then it would only go to iOS 5."

My friend who knows Apple inside and out is probably is correct since I don't think it is possible for iOS 7 to run on an iPad first generation without possible issues.

Just to make sure, it is really true that iOS 7 cannot be downloaded as an update. My friend who has the first generation iPad thinks he has iOS 7, but won't even tell me what it even looks like.

I really like iOS 7. A new look and feel which my friend says "it is the same."
GTAmissions1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Prof.
macrumors 601

iOS 7 is only compatible with the iPad 3 and later. He's either lying or... a really excellent coder...?
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:07 AM   #3
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAmissions1 View Post
My friend claims that he has iOS 7 on his iPad which was the first generation, but all the answers I get is that the max for the first-generation iPad is only up to iOS 5 and that is it because iOS 6 and higher require much specs to run efficiently.

I talked to another friend who knows everything Apple inside and out and he says that "my friend isn't telling me the truth because if it isn't jailbroken, then it would only go to iOS 5."

My friend who knows Apple inside and out is probably is correct since I don't think it is possible for iOS 7 to run on an iPad first generation without possible issues.

Just to make sure, it is really true that iOS 7 cannot be downloaded as an update. My friend who has the first generation iPad thinks he has iOS 7, but won't even tell me what it even looks like.

iOS 7 cannot run on the Original iPad. Nor can iOS 6. He probably has his iPad jailbroken and has a iOS 7 theme on it...maybe thats it. Not sure. Or he is just lying.

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
zmon
macrumors member

No, the 1st gen is maxed out at 5.1.1. Best he can do is jailbreak it and install an iOS7 theme.

Edit: Looks like Whacky beat me by a few secs.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
ErikGrim
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ErikGrim Send a message via MSN to ErikGrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
iOS 7 is only compatible with the iPad 3 and later. He's either lying or... a really excellent coder...?
iPad 2.
ErikGrim is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackyNinja View Post
iOS 7 cannot run on the Original iPad. Nor can iOS 6. He probably has his iPad jailbroken and has a iOS 7 theme on it...maybe thats it. Not sure. Or he is just lying.
thinking the same thing
Old Nov 8, 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAmissions1 View Post

Your so called friend has no idea what he's talking about. As already stated, only iPad 2 and up will run iOS 7.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Tander
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
You mean iPad 2.

Your friend is talking crap - iPad 1 will never, ever run iOS7. Ever.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 05:28 AM   #9
illusionmist
macrumors member

Nope.

It's kinda sad iPad 2 still gets the goodies when iPad 1 maxed out two versions before, but iPad 1 is just way too under-powered.
illusionmist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:30 PM   #10
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionmist View Post
Nope.

It's kinda sad iPad 2 still gets the goodies when iPad 1 maxed out two versions before, but iPad 1 is just way too under-powered.
Yeah, iPad 1 just won't cut it on iOS 7 or even 6 it would seem. It's fairly slow on iOS 5 even. One of the better uses for it these days (at least for the next day or so) is perhaps to get $200 out of it by trading it in: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/07/...-november-9th/
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
sliceoftoast
macrumors regular

It will not install on my first gen iPad either. It is maxed out with 5.1.1
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Even your friend who knows Apple inside and out is incorrect. Even jailbroken, an iPad cannot run iOS 7. Maybe some intense modding could theoretically make it look and feel like iOS 7, but the 1st gen iPad will never run iOS 7.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Maybe he thinks he has an iPad 1 but has an iPad 2
Primejimbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 03:22 AM   #14
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Yeah, iPad 1 just won't cut it on iOS 7 or even 6 it would seem. It's fairly slow on iOS 5 even. One of the better uses for it these days (at least for the next day or so) is perhaps to get $200 out of it by trading it in: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/07/...-november-9th/
I just did this with my 1st Gen... Boy, looking at the face of the mobile guy who helped me, I'm thinking he's wishing that Target never started this promotion. Says people have been coming in non-stop since it started.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7