Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
They advertise on this site. Has anyone bought a computer from them? If so, how was your experience?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have bought many, many things from them - both for home and work - going back into the 1990's and have always been completely happy. Hadn't used them for years, but recently I was shopping for a bluetooth GPS and all the usual online merchants were charging list price. Just for the heck of it, I looked at Mac Mall and was surprised to see they had it in stock and it was 10% cheaper than anywhere else.

Placed the order and had it in my hands a few days later. So I have nothing but good things to say about them.... but I'm just one person, so caveat emptor. :)

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I too have bought from MacMall since the 90's. I remember they used to throw in extra RAM, some software, and an inkjet printer all free (after rebate) with PowerBooks!

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I well remember ordering a PowerBook with a RAM upgrade back in 2002 and having it arrive looking as if it had been dipped in mayonnaise. Whomever installed the RAM had obviously been eating while they worked!

MacMall refused to take back the machine, and I spent two hours cleaning up a brand-new PowerBook. I haven't done business with MacMall since.

Sorry to rain on the praise parade. I guess there's something to be said for retina MacBook Pros and iMacs that cannot be upgraded by the reseller.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
They have great service and great prices. A lot of people here hate them, but it's usually for something silly like "i bought something and 2 weeks later the price went down and they wouldn't credit me" or "they had a typo on a product page and wouldn't give me a full refund 1 year after the sale" kind of crap.

The deals they have on brown box SSDs on occasion are absolutely amazing.

As long as you keep in mind while dealing with them that most of the products they are selling are at 1 to 5 percent profit margins, you will be set. Do not expect them to lick your balls if you call in yelling and screaming at them, or call in with an attitude. I've had nothing but great luck with their customer service when I've hit bumps in the road but I also forget how annoyed I am that I got sent dead **** and just deal with it, and all has gone great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.