Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Seriously you can't beat this. Anyone get this also?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 131

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Cue the brigade of Sprint diehards who will pepper this thread with their ideal-test-condition 50+ Mbps LTE test results, thus asserting that your test result is completely invalid and not worth any constructive discussion.

All you can do at this point is either look into switching carriers, or hope LTE gets to your area soon. I left around late 2006. Never looked back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cue the brigade of Sprint diehards who will pepper this thread with their ideal-test-condition 50+ Mbps LTE test results, thus asserting that your test result is completely invalid and not worth any constructive discussion.

All you can do at this point is either look into switching carriers, or hope LTE gets to your area soon. I left around late 2006. Never looked back.
Hey man, only five minutes this time between the OP's post and yours!

Getting much better! :D

----------

All this complaining. You're screenshot shows you are only on 3G. What did you expect? I've heard that in the 17 places that have Sprint LTE, their speeds are up to .84 Mbps.
LOL!

I had a 1456 ping time once with predictable 3G speeds. Sprint 3G is awful and I'm a Sprint customer, so I know by experience. :)

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I totally thought this was going to be a football-related thread, and I was going to say Adrian Peterson is better.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012

pretty sure even if you sit right ontop of the Sprint tower at the Sprint headquarters you still wont get anywhere close to 30 Mbps LTE speeds. 50 is dreamland for Sprint.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

OP was being sarcastic and it was not meant to be serious, but I to bet many will come onto this thread to show their Sprint download speeds to be very high

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP was being sarcastic and it was not meant to be serious, but I to bet many will come onto this thread to show their Sprint download speeds to be very high
Well, not me anyway. I'm a Sprint customer, but the speed is what it is. I'm getting about 10-14mbps at home on LTE. Not high, not great and definitely not anywhere near AT&T or Verizon - or even T-Mobile in a lot of cases.

It's useable for me though and the coverage is ok. It's expanded quite a bit since it showed up in August. 3G still sucks though.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

I'm not going to post my speeds only because I know that I'm one of the few. However I get consistent 20-25 Mbps down and 7-9 up all day everyday in my area. My phone never goes to 3G so I don't worry about it.

I do however know that Sprint is very far behind as a carrier and I will not try to deny that. I've been a Sprint customer since 2004 and now I only stay because it has become common practice. My speeds are useable and my monthly bill is not high.

Listen I am not a Sprint apologist. I know Sprint is not the greatest. However what people fails to realize is it's my choice to stay with them... Not there's.

I am a lucky one that has an unlocked iphone through Sprint and no it isn't a 4s. So for now I stick with them only because I've been through the really tough times ...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not going to post my speeds only because I know that I'm one of the few. However I get consistent 20-25 Mbps down and 7-9 up all day everyday in my area. My phone never goes to 3G so I don't worry about it.

I do however know that Sprint is very far behind as a carrier and I will not try to deny that. I've been a Sprint customer since 2004 and now I only stay because it has become common practice. My speeds are useable and my monthly bill is not high.

Listen I am not a Sprint apologist. I know Sprint is not the greatest. However what people fails to realize is it's my choice to stay with them... Not there's.

I am a lucky one that has an unlocked iphone through Sprint and no it isn't a 4s. So for now I stick with them only because I've been through the really tough times ...
LTE is still funky at work. I can sit at my desk and grab my phone. By the time I lean back in my chair I'm on 3G again. There's one LTE tower near work. The signal is just strong enough to override the 3G signal from the tower down the street, except when I move around much!

However, it seems to be holding LTE much more today, although the strength is still bad (improving daily though). I work in Glendale in the downtown area and this seems to be where Sprint hasn't turned LTE on too much although it's happening elsewhere. Much better strength at home.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

If you are happy with your service by all means stay. I travel a lot so it's not an option for me. I have a feeling that within the next few years you will switch carriers when they go out of business.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Just to be clear here. This is the speed I get in downtown Manhattan. I get LTE in Brooklyn where I live basically everywhere and it's fast. Do all carriers suck in manhattan? I just hate having these speeds at work.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Just to be clear here. This is the speed I get in downtown Manhattan. I get LTE in Brooklyn where I live basically everywhere and it's fast. Do all carriers suck in manhattan? I just hate having these speeds at work.

I took two speedtest in Manhattan on October 23rd with my Galaxy S3 on Verizon. I took the first one because I noticed it was going slow, and I had to use my AT&T iPhone for searching for something. The first one was at 9:59AM and I got 0.04 D and 0.01 U. I took another test at 12:27PM and I got 32.62 D and 11.79 U.

Now I wish I did a test with my AT&T phone around the same times (it's a 4S so not LTE on that one anyway).

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Well, not me anyway. I'm a Sprint customer, but the speed is what it is. I'm getting about 10-14mbps at home on LTE. Not high, not great and definitely not anywhere near AT&T or Verizon - or even T-Mobile in a lot of cases.

It's useable for me though and the coverage is ok. It's expanded quite a bit since it showed up in August. 3G still sucks though.

As a paying Sprint customer, you sure do not have high expectations or standards do you?? lol

I would drop that service today and get VZW or ATT.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There's so many cheaper mvno's out there that will give you fast data and way better service than Sprint.
I don't get why people still stay with Sprint.
Just don't get Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile! :D

They use Sprint's network. ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As a paying Sprint customer, you sure do not have high expectations or standards do you?? lol

I would drop that service today and get VZW or ATT.
Well, I'm a unique case I guess. I didn't have an LTE capable phone until last year and 3G was decent on my old phone. But last year is when it really started to go to heck (3G speed) around here. I knew going in they didn't have LTE in Phoenix, but I was willing to give them the next two years to get it. That was before I found out how bad 3G was on the iPhone 5. However, I'm usually in one of three places and all three places have WiFi. Calls and text messages, which are mainly what I use my phone for worked just fine (no horror stories of constant dropped calls or missed SMS). Data for me is mostly a convenience when I'm out because I mainly use my Macs when I am in one of those three places.

So, overall, while annoying this whole mismanaged, screwed up LTE rollout hasn't affected me enough to make me walk away. And now LTE is at home and starting to get stronger at work. I don't need 40-60mbps to open Facebook or load webpages faster. I just need reasonable speed and right now that's what I'm getting. Sure, I'd love fast, but useable is good.

None of this is to construe any positive comments about Sprint. It's like a bad relationship. You learn what to avoid. I never deal with Sprint over the phone and now that I have an iPhone I deal with Apple for any warranty stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I got my blood out of the proverbial rock too. Once I found out how bad the 3G was at home I demanded they send me an Airave (femtocell) and they did. No activation and I pay $0/month for it as compensation for the crappy 3G.

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
LTE is still funky at work. I can sit at my desk and grab my phone. By the time I lean back in my chair I'm on 3G again. There's one LTE tower near work. The signal is just strong enough to override the 3G signal from the tower down the street, except when I move around much!

However, it seems to be holding LTE much more today, although the strength is still bad (improving daily though). I work in Glendale in the downtown area and this seems to be where Sprint hasn't turned LTE on too much although it's happening elsewhere. Much better strength at home.

It's weird at my work is where my Sprint 3G was worse and sometimes would roam but now my work is better then at home with LTE lol weird ...

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Ha I love that I'm off sprint's 3G and that I have its lte now. Works great for me here in Houston but you're on 3G so what do you expect?

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
The fact that people complain that their phone gets 14mbps down is... absurd. Most people on their home networks get ~3mbps. What do you people do on your phone that you complain about getting 14-17mbps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.