Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmine83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
It has come to my understanding that since the release of iOS 6, that custom ringtones in third-party apps is no longer supported. Hence why Talkatone doesn't allow custom ringtones anymore. I was wondering, however, if there is a hack or jailbreak-related workaround for this. Anybody know?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It has come to my understanding that since the release of iOS 6, that custom ringtones in third-party apps is no longer supported. Hence why Talkatone doesn't allow custom ringtones anymore. I was wondering, however, if there is a hack or jailbreak-related workaround for this. Anybody know?
Well, if you can jailbreak (iOS 6.1.2 or less) you can use iFile to access the filesystem. I imagine you could go into the Talkatone app and add a few sound files. I'd have to take a look myself to see how they set it up, but it might be possible.

Other than jailbreaking, I don't see any way you could do this. There's an app for Mac that lets you partially access non-jailbroken iPhones but I'm not sure you can do anything with the app.

EDIT: Hmm…there's a ringtones folder inside the app folder itself. I placed a wav file in there and also in the app folder itself, but Talkatone didn't see it. The default ringtones are .caff files (AIFF) so I may try later with an AIFF file and see what happens.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.