Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sortvind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Anyone else having issues getting it to stream HD content on netflix?

I did not have this issue with ipad 3 on the same network.

it is 70/10, and the ipad air has blazing fast wifi, so it should work like a charm.

tried everything i can think off, but no luck.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

it is 70/10, and the ipad air has blazing fast wifi, so it should work like a charm.

Maybe Netflix has to release an update to make it compatible with the air?

When on your AIR do you see the HD icon by some movies/shows?

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
I'll reactivate my account here in a bit and check. I've been meaning to watch Derek anyways. I caught the first few episodes and they are hillarious.

Will report back.

edit- Disabled QoS on my Nighthawk AC1900 (to make our comparison fair) and I am having no issues.

Check your router and make sure that your QoS settings aren't setting your Air aside in your DHCP table.

Sortvind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Maybe Netflix has to release an update to make it compatible with the air?

When on your AIR do you see the HD icon by some movies/shows?

mhm, it shows HD icons, and i tried a lot of them.
its still just SD+. better than SD, but not HD.

----------

I'll reactivate my account here in a bit and check. I've been meaning to watch Derek anyways. I caught the first few episodes and they are hillarious.

Will report back.

Thanks!

----------

Oh and i did a speedtest, its max, so no wifi issues on the air.

----------

Will report back.

edit- Disabled QoS on my Nighthawk AC1900 (to make our comparison fair) and I am having no issues.

Check your router and make sure that your QoS settings aren't setting your Air aside in your DHCP table.

not used to router config, but i will google up on this, thanks!

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
mhm, it shows HD icons, and i tried a lot of them.
its still just SD+. better than SD, but not HD.

----------

Thanks!

----------

Oh and i did a speedtest, its max, so no wifi issues on the air.

----------

not used to router config, but i will google up on this, thanks!

I can help you if you get stuck. Ummmmm, this is your thread so you could post it here, or PM if you'd like.

edit- please define "max" per your speedtest. What kind of numbers are you getting? Once you get into your router, simply find your QoS page and make sure it's either disabled, or if it is enabled, your Air isn't low on whatever list you may have. I ASSume that your QoS will be disabled since you weren't quite aware of that stuff. :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Getting HD on the Air here. There's a settings page on Netflix's website where you can set preferred video quality. Have you tried that?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I'm having the same problem. My other ipad 3 streams in HD but no HD on iPad air. Both tablets are getting the same internet speed.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I have the same issue. At first I thought well maybe Netflix has a problem but it never cleared up. I have been watching low res Netflix now for a couple weeks... ugh. If Netflix has to issue a patch please hurry!

I have indeed been to the Netflix site to check the settings. Someone is wrong. It may look HD to some but believe me it is not.

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Seems to be fine (HD) on my Air. It starts out SD for around the first 10 seconds though.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I cannot get Netflix HD on my new iPad Air and I contacted Netflix and here is their response:

Netflix
Happy to know you are loving our service. :)...I actually checked with our research team and we currently do not offer HD on that device. but not to worry, they will be checking into it asap. So just keep checking on this awesome feature, that I know I would love myself:)

daudi81

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
I cannot get Netflix HD on my new iPad Air and I contacted Netflix and here is their response:

Netflix
Happy to know you are loving our service. :)...I actually checked with our research team and we currently do not offer HD on that device. but not to worry, they will be checking into it asap. So just keep checking on this awesome feature, that I know I would love myself:)

Wait, what?

They don't support HD on the iPad Air? I'm so confused now.

thisismetcalf

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Thank God I found this thread!

I've been scouring the internet trying to figure this out myself. 99.9% of my iPad use is for Netflix. So imagine my suburban-horror when I found out that Netflix wasn't bumping into HD on the Air I just bought. I actually went back to the Apple store that same day and returned it, verifying with the Genius' there that it wasn't going into HD. They gave me a new one, same thing. We checked their Apple Store Air's, same thing. They said that since it fell in with Holiday Shopping guidelines, I could return it to the Store by January (if Netflix or Apple didn't correct the issue by then).

At least I can sleep soundly now knowing it's not just me!

I'm not sure what to make of others demanding that their iPad Air's ARE in HD. I believe they only think it is. For those that have Air's, and believe they have HD in Netflix, have you compared it to any other Apple product that has Retina?

It was CLEARLY night and day different when I had my iPad 3 w/retina playing a movie next to my iPad Air. Like, night and day different.

Anyway, I put a call into Netflix and they are investigating themselves. The tech was not aware of an issue like mine but he elevated the priority on it to get me an answer from a Senior Tech. I imagine I'll just get a response from them that indicates they are aware and working on a fix?

Here's hoping it's soon!

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Seems to be fine (HD) on my Air. It starts out SD for around the first 10 seconds though.

Same on mine. I had a Roku box that took about the same amount of time to fully resolve Netflix on my TV. Both my Air and the rMini we bought last night take the same amount of time to get to HD.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
It looks like mine can get HD only when Wifi is over 20 mbit. At home I'm getting around 9 but I tested at work with 50mbit and HD is crystal clear. Something with new wifi in the Air is picky.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Who do you have for an internet provider and do you ever see this issue on your computer ?

I'm thinking your internet provider might have started throttling for high bandwidth usage.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Count me in. Damn, hulu plus and every other video site I use looks perfect. Netflix ain't cutting it. It's them, NOT our devices. They'd better tend to it.

:mad:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have HD on my Air on Netflix in the UK. I have a 120MB fibre optic broadband connection. Don't know if this makes a difference.

jcoa332

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I have the same problem on my Air. Trying to watch Netflix on it is extremely irritating as it will not stay in HD for more than a minute or two at a time. I set my video quality preference to HD and have other devices that do not have any problem streaming in HD at all 100% of the time. I was going to chat with Netflix support but their support chat is not compatible with my iPad. =(

My 5 year old daughter's Nabi streams Netflix better than my iPad Air, how embarrassing. :mad:

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
same here!!:mad: turns very pixalated after a few minutes. it was perfectly fine before with ipad 2! even on the same connection

daudi81

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
I figured it out...at least for mine.

This is going to sound dumb, but for some reason Netflix HD works after you download, install, and open Chrome (browser). I can't remember if I reinstalled netflix after that, but it's worth trying if it doesn't get solved.

I've done this to 3 different iPad Air's, and it worked every time.

No idea why, but it worked for me and my friend's iPads.

jcoa332

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I called Netflix last night and they basically said it was an iOS issue and to call Apple. Granted the very nice woman I spoke with was not the sharpest. She actually asked me who the manufacturer was of my iPad...

I only found one small thread on the Apple support forums about the issue so I wonder if it's even on their radar.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Wait, what?

They don't support HD on the iPad Air? I'm so confused now.

Watching The Netflix quality looks fine on my r mini as compared with my nexus 7 (2013). Both screens are nearly the same size and resolution and play video nearly the same, though I prefer the n7 for watching videos since it has way better sound.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well, I can't get Netflix to stream HD on my Roku or on the new SOny Blu-Ray I just bought. Amazon streams in HD on both just fine on the same wet string.

My Air isn't here yet so I can't compare it.... but having just upgraded from the 480 rear projection TV to the 1080p one, um, 480 looks like crap that big!

I have Comcast as my ISP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.