Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Top 5 Questions:

1) Is making my Mac run harder for certain programs...LightRoom,Photoshop,Final Cut Pro & even Preview.
Is yours?

2) I see & feel no difference in performance...Why did I update?

3) Have you upgrade to OS X Mavericks?

4) Why did you upgrade?

5) Thanks? <<<Not really a question

Or yea one more thing..There's a bug in FINDER! Can't really explain what it is but every time I remove something to trash or to another folder. It still shows it being there until I close the FINDER & reopen it.

My Story:

I use my Mac a lot for Photography & Edits in Photoshop..Heavy in FCP too!
For some reason when opening RAW files..Let me just say,
LAG is not it's best suite for this Mac!

Before it use to open right up..Multi able images too, I use to be able to Open up 20-30 files in one shot and my Mac use to open them and load them up in a split of a second. And don't get me started on Photoshop!

When using Photoshop "Heavy" my processor would never climb to a degree in which I would have to manually adjust my fans. Seems to me, I have to do this now with the "New Maverick"

I say...It feels like Maverick is making my Mac run harder then before & I don't like it.

Is there any solution to fixing the LAG when viewing a RAW image when opening it with Preview? Which I do use it often...sometimes you want to take a look at the image before Importing it to Lightroom. you feel me Cuzzz?

Thanks!

P.S I think I might go back to OS X Mountain Lion. :D

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
I think you should do a clean install. On my computer, Mavericks is even faster than Snow Leopard (and way way faster than Lion or ML). My 2010 MBP has never been faster.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I like Mavericks, but i feel it is rushed there is no wow factor in it, since OSX lion there is a need to add a iOS feel. However like iOS6, OSX 10.9 is ageing and is in need of an overhaul adding some apps in like maps and ibooks does not cut anymore. If Apple wants an iOS feel its time the GUI goes flat and revisions be made to finder and spotlight and the way we interact with the OSX in the future.

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I think you should do a clean install. On my computer, Mavericks is even faster than Snow Leopard (and way way faster than Lion or ML). My 2010 MBP has never been faster.

Dam...I really didn't want to do all that again..Took me all night to Install Mavericks! Felt like I was on a 8-5 shift at work! :(

But yea...I think I will have to look into it. Miss my rMBP!

Thanks!

----------

I like Mavericks, but i feel it is rushed there is no wow factor in it, since OSX lion there is a need to add a iOS feel. However like iOS6, OSX 10.9 is ageing and is in need of an overhaul adding some apps in like maps and ibooks does not cut anymore. If Apple wants an iOS feel its time the GUI goes flat and revisions be made to finder and spotlight and the way we interact with the OSX in the future.

Yessir! I feel you on that one..They just B.S'ing us around with "New" features.
Time we build our own and stop waiting on these old farts to come up with something.

I'm just saying... :cool:

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
It definitely feels likes it's a first release, there's still a lot of margin for improvement, but I think in a few months time when all the major bugs will be fixed and most of the major developers will have released updates for their apps to take full advantage of 10.9 we won't be missing ML at all.
Pro Tools 11 is running great on my iMac. It's ridiculous how little CPU it uses!
Can't say the same about Logic X unfortunately. CPU still clipping a lot of the time. Very disappointed in the way it handles multicore. But that has nothing to do with 10.9

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Y'all are in the minority. Mavericks runs great and it's Apple's best system to date. I've been on the Mac for 15 years since OS 8 and I'm a power user so I know. Could it use a couple of software updates? Yes, and Apple is already working on that. OS X is right at that stage where the fusion is beginning with iOS.
Not necessarily a reflection on the OP's post but people seem to act like they want visual effects to make them feel like they got something amazing rather than a stable system. OS X doesn't need anymore flash and glamour, it needs to run well and Mavericks does.

Check your setups before you say something "Sucks". Most likely it's your bloat that causing the instabilities.

xspicer89x

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
Y'all are in the minority. Mavericks runs great and it's Apple's best system to date. I've been on the Mac for 15 years since OS 8 and I'm a power user so I know. Could it use a couple of software updates? Yes, and Apple is already working on that. OS X is right at that stage where the fusion is beginning with iOS.
Not necessarily a reflection on the OP's post but people seem to act like they want visual effects to make them feel like they got something amazing rather than a stable system. OS X doesn't need anymore flash and glamour, it needs to run well and Mavericks does.

Check your setups before you say something "Sucks". Most likely it's your bloat that causing the instabilities.

+1 for this comment lol. I LOVE MAVERICKS..It..is...AMAZING!

Have mavericks installed on my 13-inch mid-2012 non-retina macbookpro (750GB harddrive, 16GB ram, 2.9GHz i7 processor).

+1 for the true multitasking on multiple monitors and the non-broken mission control, this alone makes the upgrade amazing (at least for those of us runnin multiple monitors often--and using multiple desktop/spaces). Mission control now works the way it should on two monitors and between spaces.

+1 for app nap and ridiculously LOWER cpu usage...Noticing BIG differences here, especially with photoshop. And my laptop has been staying much much cooler during excessive usage..even while gaming or messing around with photo/videos editing--with all my other apps "open" in the background--my laptop has remained relatively cool (compared excessive usage to ML).

+1 for the RAM usage...on ML I rarely maxed out my 16GB (and often found myself asking why I had bothered upgrading from the stock 8GB)...on Mavericks, my RAM is actually used (whether its just file cache or not)...and I MOST CERTAINLY NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. The responsiveness is absolutely amazing. What is a beach ball? Waiting for an app to load? Never lol. Windows and apps open as soon as I click them, its like flying with no lag..it really does feel like a revolutionary step forward (at least from previous experience with ML) +1 for going from sleep to wake before I finish opening the lid of my laptop lol.

As for the battery, the differences Ive experienced when gaming or watching/editing videos are nothing major (at most an extra 30-60mins). However, I have noticed fairly big differences when working at school; running ML, my laptop never had the hope of lasting all day at university working, studying and researching (so pretty much having bunch of Iwork apps, bunch of pdfs in preview, and safari with a million tabs lol) without a charge. Now on mavericks i can last the day (basically getting an extra 1-3hours) doing the same things I was doing without having to worry about my battery dying (im guessing the appnap of safari and preview helps alot lol).

Henry said it perfectly; sure mavericks could use some app updates to fix some of those minor "inconveniences" that some of us have come accross.. but when it comes down to it, I want my system to run fast and with efficiency. When I'm in full work mode, I dont want my train of thought interrupted by a brief rage-out at a spinning beachball--may just be my low attention span but these sorts of work-flow interruptions kill my productivity. I also dont want my computer wasting resources on apps im not currently using, but I always want to be able to open and access anything I might need in a flash, I dont want to ever have to wait or see a beachball. The RAM efficiency of Mavericks is enough reason to overlook some of those minor aesthetic inconveniences so many people having been complaining about IMO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1) Is making my Mac run harder for certain programs...LightRoom,Photoshop,Final Cut Pro & even Preview.
Is yours?
Nope, everything works as it should.

some things appear a bit faster and somethings feel about the same. YMMV as Mavericks changed its memory management. If you have 16gb of ram, then you'll not see a major change but for others they will

Yes, and its been great.

4) Why did you upgrade?
Because I wanted too

My story, I use various apps, like Aperture gotomypc, office pixelmator (I'm moving off of adobe apps because of their subscription model) and its been a very smooth transition.

I opted for the upgrade instead of a clean install. Ever since Lion I found apple has done a great job with the upgrade process and find that going the clean install method is unnecessary.

No OS is perfect, there are bugs, and Apple cannot please everyone but I think the majority of people are happy and the OS is very stable. Just my opinion but from what I see here and elsewhere its been a successful roll out.

The funny thing is the type of complaints you state in your post are quite common when apple rolls out a new version of OSX. Doesn't matter if we're talking about Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion etc.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I like Mavericks, but i feel it is rushed there is no wow factor in it
Can I interest you in another operating system? ;)

Mavericks works great here, by the way. Better battery life&performance, and I really like the multi-monitor improvements, tabbed finder with support for tags, the new Maps app, the vastly improved Safari, continuous scrolling in the Calendar app, auto-install app updates, Applescript Libraries etc. Unfortunately, while scrolling has become much smoother now, the architectural change that Apple has made comes with a caveat that I can't say I'm particularly happy about.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Can I interest you in another operating system? ;)

Mavericks works great here, by the way. Better battery life&performance, and I really like the multi-monitor improvements, tabbed finder with support for tags, the new Maps app, the vastly improved Safari, continuous scrolling in the Calendar app, auto-install app updates, Applescript Libraries etc. Unfortunately, while scrolling has become much smoother now, the architectural change that Apple has made comes with a caveat that I can't say I'm particularly happy about.

Ha ha! I'm never gonna believe a marketing ad again!

dreammaker23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks everybody for the feedback...
I think I will have to reinstall Maverick once & for all.

Thanks! :D

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
The only thing I've noticed since upgrading my mid-2011 iMac to10.9 is twice now, the Magic Trackpad has stopped working and become unresponsive (I guess similar to the issue that new rMBP 13-inch machines are having). Keyboard still works, and I've had to do a full shut down in order to get the trackpad back to working. At first I thought it was the batteries, but they are good. Other than that, 10.9 runs great and I've had no other issues.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
For all the features now included in Mavericks, especially those that make it work harmoniously with my other iDevices, I'm totally thrilled!

Couldn't even begin imagine going back to any of the OS X cats!

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
OS X doesn't need anymore flash and glamour, it needs to run well and Mavericks does.

I agree. I was reading some posts yesterday on these forums about Mavericks and what the next OS X will look like, etc. and I got to wondering when did it happen that an OS had to be glitzy and glamorous? I thought it was meant to be the structure upon which your apps ran. You want it to be user friendly [i.e. - straight forward and simple to use] and stable, right? It doesn't need to bake you fresh chocolate chip cookies whenever you boot up the system. But it seems that both Apple and MS, with each revision of their respective OS, try to add flash and glamour [some WOW factor} and all it tends to do is gum up the works.....

I like Mavericks, it is running very well on my [aging] late 2008 MBP; it got me to [finally] upgrade from SL, after I tried Lion and ML and went back to SL. Mavericks, for me, is as smooth and stable as SL, with some new features, but, if it was less stable, back to SL I would go.

YMMV

Sirk2k

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
I'm in the middle of removing all my data to do a clean install - exactly the same story as the OP.

I use my mac heavily for Adobe CC apps (photography / editing / design), since the upgrade Finder went crazy although that appeared to be the google drive issue. Apps still fail to open / the iMac keep freezing.

Fun fun..

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Other than the Mail (G-Mail) issue, which with yesterday's patch is essentially resolved, Mavericks for me has bee a fantastic upgrade. I agree it lacks the "Wow" factor with regard to new look, apps, observable features, but I have seen great performance gain in my old MacBook Pro 2008.

Improved scrolling in Safari alone for me is worth the price of admission.

And speaking of price, it was/is free, so can't complain about that.

dean1012

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I just dropped in to say that "wow factor" is totally subjective. I'm rather tired of seeing posts, reviews, etc... saying there is no "wow factor".

Complaining about bugs and whatnot is one thing, but "wow factor"?

With that said, I think there was a huge whopping wow factor for me! The multiple monitor support and Apple TV extended desktop.

Those two features combined (along with my HDMI monitor) allow me to effectively have 3 monitors on my MBA all with independent work spaces. That's absolutely amazing.

I've also been fairly lucky in that I haven't noticed any bugs in Mavericks. I'm not saying they don't exist but either I'm not experiencing them or they aren't affecting me.

Beyond the wow factor mentioned above, I'm also enjoying iBooks and Maps (albeit Maps seems a lot slower than Google Maps especially on the satellite view).

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Well, maybe not everyone thinks Maverick's is fine.

I find a lot of little glitches since installing M. Mail, battery life, etc., are not delivered to my MBP in as sensational manner as some of the reports above.

I'd rate it just a smidgen above the "It sucks" Mendoza line.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
So far I'm really liking it--and I have not yet upgraded my primary machine--my rMBP. I decided to take Apple up on their free offer--but first had to buy Snow Leopard for my 2008 iMac. I updated to Mavericks last Saturday and am pretty amazed at how well it runs with only 2GB of memory. Sure it is slow at times but everything works just fine. This was not a clean install--don't really feel clean install is necessary unless you have problems.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012

Definitely. I did a clean install under Mavericks from the first day using it and I am not having 90%-95% of the problems around Apple or MacRumors forums.

I am only facing with mail sound delay & a beach ball from time to time. Not a big deal.

I am sure Apple will fix all issues with Mavericks sooner or later. :)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Top 5 Questions:

Is yours?

4) Why did you upgrade?

5) Thanks? <<<Not really a question

1) No.

2) I'm not sure why you updated. I updated because I wanted the upgrade.

3) Yes.

4) Refer to answer No. 2

5) You're welcome. I have no finder issues or beach ball issues. It's been a big improvement for me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You sound like a professional of some sort, given the apps you list.

Why on earth did you upgrade?

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson
it is interesting to read on this forum the stark differences between people having problems with Mavericks and people who do not.
I fit into the latter category.
Apart from a few bugs, like mail/gmail problem (by the way an update is available now for mail), something tells me that if one person is not really having any issues and the other is, then that it is perhaps not really Mavericks where the main problem lies, but a combination of hard ware, existing programs and/or mods on the problematic installation, or a 'bad/faulty' upgrade, thats just common sense to me.
If Mavericks really sucks as some have pointed out, then everybody would have similar problems and yet, clearly, that is not the case.
I do not know what the answers are for the people who are experiencing Mavericks problems, but, as I've pointed out above, common sense says the fault is not really with Mavericks.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.