Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gidfd79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Well, this is a thread about just that.

Has anyone interchanged the main sata cable with the one in the cd in terms of boot order? I am asking this cause I can use a 3.5" hd, and also use the bay to install an ssd, and fuse the volume later.

Give me the heads up if you 've been there, done that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can change the boot volume from within the Startup Disk preference, so you don't need to move cables around or am I misunderstanding your question.

Gidfd79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
You can change the boot volume from within the Startup Disk preference, so you don't need to move cables around or am I misunderstanding your question.

nope you got it, thanks!

Any threads or users here done it?:confused:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iMacs from that era use a PATA (IDE) bus for the optical drive? I know that the MacBooks did, and I'd imagine that the iMacs followed along with that. If that's the case, you're going to have a tough time finding an SSD to go in the optical drive area, and the bus isn't nearly fast enough to let any SSD really sing.

Your best bet would be to go pure SSD on it, and if you need more storage, pick up an external disk.

EDIT: Indeed, it does use a PATA (IDE) optical drive.

Gidfd79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I 'll use a couple of pata to sata converters, shouldn't be a problem, plus there's plenty of empty space from the removal of the 3.5" drives and the introduction of 2.5" form factors.

Next I 'll max the ram. I am sure pata to sata degrades performance seriously, hell only pci ports in the latest macs are good enough, but still the difference will be huge.

Now, if I can top it off with getting mavericks to work, and thus getting memory compression and no page outs, it would be a dream.

Then you 'd be really looking at a new device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.